Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Consistency, please?

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InTheEnd

If there is anything that peeves me in the Halo cannon it's a lack of consistency. Given that the games are pretty bare-bones in their story telling, other media had to be made to fill in the gaps. This makes the Halo fiction somewhat of a clustrerfuck. It's only now that the games are acknowledging what was laid out in the books but obviously everyone's not on the same page. What I'm mostly talking about is all the equipment. I thought everyone had the same old shitty olive green Mark V armor until death and that MC war pretty much the only guy to get the Mark VI upgrade. Also in Halo 2 they kill the Assault Rifle, then bring it back again, what the fuck guys? Now in Halo Reach which we all know it takes place before Halo: CE there's all sorts of different armors, in all sorts of colors and a shit load of new weapons. Again shouldn't they all have the same armor? And what's wrong with green? Isn't that a standard for pretty much every army today? But no, do you know what would be better? Fucking teal, you'll blend right in! 

I suppose it's useless to complain about it now, nonetheless, get it right the first time. Fuckin' Bungie.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because it's a game...

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

Go outside!

BrilliantLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By BrilliantLoser
    @Agent47CSim2 said:
    " Because it's a game... "
    Exactly, it's a game.  Gameplay is king.  

Honestly, if I can't have my goddamn bright pink Noble Six in campaign, I'm going to be seriously disappointed that Bungie decided canon needs to be consistent over the game being FUN.
    rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rosebud04

I would rather they Mixed things up a bit, than keep everything the same. And gameplay over Canon is always the best strategy. 

MystDragon3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MystDragon3k
    @InTheEnd:
    If youre going to loose your top over the presence of the Assault rifle, you need to rethink what makes a good story.

Halo is a game first.

I could go on about the limitations in technology, artist and writer interpretations of the original material, and so on, but fine, i'll give you your answer.
    Master Cheif had Mark V armor. Fine. The only thing that makes you think the other Spartans had the exact same armor is the front cover of the Fall of Reach. The humans were constantly developing new technology and the Spartan IIIs were the perfect group of soldiers to slap on the more experimental armor. Reach, being the major military stronghold, probably had a stockhold of unfinished armor permutations, so when the Covenant invade, why not use it?
    Also these are not stealth agents, these are fire and forget weapons. Who the hell cares if their armor is teal, or orange, or bright green, when youre going to run in with glowing energy sheilds and a gun the size of a small child making dozens of aliens spurt bright blue and purple blood.

Hell, its not like the Covenant care about wearing teal and orange armor.
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By KillaMaStA

because people play halo for the gameplay and bungie changed the equipment the make the game more fun and then they made the fiction around that.
    And I support that way of making games

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Three0neFive

I'm pretty sure Bungie have gone on record stating they think of cool situations to shoot dudes in first, think of a story to tie it all together second.

NewfieKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NewfieKane

HEY

I am excited for my pink armour DONT TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME.

nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nirokogaseru

Who plays Halo for it's story?  Seriously who cares if it's canon is inconsistent.  Go buy Mass Effect or... 
    @Cube said:

" Go outside! "

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

This is an issue which comes up whenever they do a prequel. In order to progress the game they have to throw in new weapons and abilities but this doesn't make much sense because where did everything go in the earlier games? I'm sure they'll come up with some story explanation that with Reach being the last of the major off world colonies most of the UNSC and almost all of the Spartans buy it so they took all the fancy toys with them. I'm perfectly fine with that because as has been stated before Halo has never had an incredibly deep narrative going. Sure, it's a good narrative but it isn't exploring anything deeper than you being a one man army destroying the enemies of humanity.

Also, if you want to try and explain the garish colors that the Spartans are rocking you could easily say that they know they are badass and are trying to draw as much attention to themselves as possible. In this way it'll draw the attention of the larger more threatening opponents such as the Elites while scaring Grunts away completely so that the regular Marines can hit them when they are distracted.

BrilliantLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BrilliantLoser
    @NewfieKane said:
    " HEY  I am excited for my pink armour DONT TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME. "
    PINK ARMORS UNITE!
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

1.  Same thing happened with Star Wars.
    2.  They make it work with their cannon.
    3.  Did you complain about the new weapons in Halo 3?  Where were they in Halo 2?  Did they make all of those in 3 hours?
    4.  It's a video game. 

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InTheEnd

Hey, hey guys. I'm just complaining about the canon here, really I welcome new weapons and more customization. Maybe I'm just nit picking since some people pawn off Halo as a DEEP EPIK UNIVERSSSSSE!!!

flammverit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By flammverit

When Bungie was making the first Halo I guess they never thought it'll become such an opportunity for an epic story so it obviously had some flaws but overall they managed pretty well so far and they made a good enough story. They have video games that are a lot fun to play and if you want to go deeper about Halo they got really well written books (especially those from Eric Nylund) that makes a really interesting sci-fi story/universe to enjoy. 

So don't worry and enjoy the game. It's a lot better than many other game can tell about their story... cough cod cough

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By zombie2011

NERD ALERT!!  

@Three0neFive

said:

" I'm pretty sure Bungie have gone on record stating they think of cool situations to shoot dudes in first, think of a story to tie it all together second. "

Also this, Bungie wants to make a fun game not Citizen Kane.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Lies

Spartans customize their armor to a great degree, it's built to be modular and they strap all sorts of crazy ass mods onto it. MC is running vanilla cause they were prepping for a mission when Reach gets attacked and they have to bolt- the Spartan's weapons locker gets destroyed in the space battle, so he has none of that on Halo. Both of those facts are mentioned in the Fall of Reach, though you might have overlooked them. Halo 2 he gets the new Mark VI suit then Earth is immediately attacked, so no time for modification there. Halo 2 obviously runs right into Halo 3, so again, vanilla armor.

Assault Rifle was a gameplay decision, easily overlooked. Gameplay goes above story concerns, even though everything you complained about is pretty easily covered by the existing canon. There are plenty of other mistakes though, but that's to be expected when working on a universe this large that spans so man mediums.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Afroman269

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @InTheEnd: And a lot of people pin Halo as a "OMG itz a genric shootah!!!".
    gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By gungrave45

This is idiotic on so many levels I am not even going to explain how foolish op is.

modex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By modex

It's Halo, who needs consistency when you have amazing gameplay.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By boj4ngles

Blue and purple explosions, every level, that's consistency
    foodmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By foodmonster
    Everyone knows that in the few months it took master chief to get back to earth is when people finally learned to hold two separate things in two different hands.  They didn't kill the assault rifle as were too distracted with their new toys and a fascination with their hands.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Raymayne

If the only flaws you can manage to find in the Halo canon are different armour colours and disappearance and reapparance of the AR then I'd say Bungie did a pretty damn good job. So much of what you're complaining about is fully explained as well if you actually pay attention, I don't see how you can get so pissed off about the canon if you don't even know most of it :| The Spartan III's were allowed to choose the colour of their armour, and, as Spartans are not exactly agents of espionage, I don't think it really mattered how bright it was. Spartan II's had green armour because they were more regimental military guys, seen in the public, nowhere near as 'individual' as the Spartan III's. Also you need to consider that Reach is the military and scientific hub of humanity, the main HQ of the UNSC, where all the latest military equipment is developed, the new weapons and armour abilities are in the prototype stages and just being tested out by the Spartans on the planet, when Reach is glassed, everything is destroyed. That's why we don't see things like jetpacks and grenade launchers in CE, because they could only be found on Reach and were destroyed in the prototype stages before they could be mass produced and shipped out to other colonies. The canon is incredibly well put together and protected in Reach, as it is in all of the Halo games.  

So I think Bungie did pretty much get it right the first time. Fuckin' douche.

TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TBird13
    @Cube said:
    " Go outside! "
    These two words could fix so many problems on this site.  Well done, good sir.  
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Sitoxity

You do realise the entire Halo series (bar Halo Wars) is based around about 3 - 5 months? It's not like it's YEARS in the future.

Besides, the reason for the AR dissappearing in Halo 2? It wasn't the Navy's tech. The model of AR used in CE was one used by the Navy and therefore, Pillar of Autumn had them a-plenty. Halo 2 did not start the same way, and didn't have the same tech. That, and with it being on Earth, they had access to all of their hardware, not just what they took with them.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

Minor squabbles, that's just crazy.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Agent47CSim2 said:
    " Because it's a game... "
    And they are trying to make the game more appealing to people.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Bungie's general policy seems to be that when they add new weapons in the games it's canon that those weapons existed all along, they just weren't given to the soldiers in the battles experienced previously. What you said about the Master Chief and his armour is correct for the Spartan IIs but Noble Team is composed almost entirely of Spartan IIIs which were outfitted with different armour and weaponry. Personally I don't think the Halo fiction is a clusterfuck, if you've read all of the books and played all of the games it all fits together logically. I understand your issue with consistency but the alternative is to develop a game with no new weapons or armour and crappy character design, no thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@MystDragon3k:  "  Who the hell cares if their armor is teal, or orange, or bright green, when youre going to run in with glowing energy sheilds and a gun the size of a small child making dozens of aliens spurt bright blue and purple blood." 

Nice comparison for the size of the guns.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.