Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo Reach? Not Impressed...

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

Edited By SpawnMan

Before you start flaming, I haven't gotten too far into the game, but like you, I'm allowed my first impressions. First of all, there are some features which I like! The new forge tools and objects are awesome, as well as the graphics and some features. But for me, there is a heck of a lot wrong! 

Firstly, I love forge mode. However! They got rid of the push/pull object feature! Honestly, WTF? You couldn't screw up forge if you tried, and yet they have! Instead of pulling/pushing the object away from you, you now only can move the camera! What's the point of that? Secondly, the BMR! Worst weapon ever! In all the Halo games I've played, the BMR is the absolute WORST weapon I have used. The problem is the expanding crosshair. With the BR you could basically snipe people across the map with it *Burst, burst, burst*. Now, you have to wait for the crosshair to close again and long range battles just aren't the same! Instead of fast paced combat it's more, *Burst, wait, Burst, wait, Burst, wait, Burst, wait, Burst*. And that's if you actually manage to hit your target all those times. And i guess it's not really a burst any more since it's a single shot.

If it wasn't for the forge sh*t and expanding crosshair I think I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the game as I do, even with other minor problems such as over-powering jetpacks and lack of sufficient quitting penalties. So the game which is supposed to be my favourite for a while, is now my most frustrating. I might get used to it, but so far it is not anywhere near what I expected. Maybe once I play through more of the campaign and get used to the controls a bit better I'll warm up to it. 

Here's hoping. : (

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SpawnMan

Before you start flaming, I haven't gotten too far into the game, but like you, I'm allowed my first impressions. First of all, there are some features which I like! The new forge tools and objects are awesome, as well as the graphics and some features. But for me, there is a heck of a lot wrong! 

Firstly, I love forge mode. However! They got rid of the push/pull object feature! Honestly, WTF? You couldn't screw up forge if you tried, and yet they have! Instead of pulling/pushing the object away from you, you now only can move the camera! What's the point of that? Secondly, the BMR! Worst weapon ever! In all the Halo games I've played, the BMR is the absolute WORST weapon I have used. The problem is the expanding crosshair. With the BR you could basically snipe people across the map with it *Burst, burst, burst*. Now, you have to wait for the crosshair to close again and long range battles just aren't the same! Instead of fast paced combat it's more, *Burst, wait, Burst, wait, Burst, wait, Burst, wait, Burst*. And that's if you actually manage to hit your target all those times. And i guess it's not really a burst any more since it's a single shot.

If it wasn't for the forge sh*t and expanding crosshair I think I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the game as I do, even with other minor problems such as over-powering jetpacks and lack of sufficient quitting penalties. So the game which is supposed to be my favourite for a while, is now my most frustrating. I might get used to it, but so far it is not anywhere near what I expected. Maybe once I play through more of the campaign and get used to the controls a bit better I'll warm up to it. 

Here's hoping. : (

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By lucas_kelly

" The problem is the expanding crosshair. With the BR you could basically snipe people across the map with it:" 

I think that was the problem with it.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138

I'm allowed my first impressions.    

Nope. Not here this is a impression free web site ...about video games 
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kmdrkul

Fail to see how you could be "not impressed" when those are the only faults you currently see with the game...

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By niamahai

y'know in Halo they are many other guns to shoot

like the purple death ray ones pew pew pew pew

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sparklykiss
    @niamahai: Or the Fuel Rod gun! Bang bang bang bang bang.
    JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JamesBoyce

helo remhs - nt improsh

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cube

That's it? 

That's why Reach is unimpressive?  

Haha. Wow.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

That's really your only reason? They made an op weapon more balanced and they tweaked forge a bit awkwardly? Woaaaaaa. 

@Sparklykiss said:

" @niamahai: Or the Fuel Rod gun! Bang bang bang bang bang. "
    Or the pistol! Pow pow pow pow pow pow.
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sparklykiss
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " That's really your only reason? They made an op weapon more balanced and they tweaked forge a bit awkwardly? Woaaaaaa. 

@Sparklykiss said:
    " @niamahai: Or the Fuel Rod gun! Bang bang bang bang bang. "
    Or the pistol! Pow pow pow pow pow pow. "
    Can't forget the Needler! Zzt zzt zzt zzt pink explosion!
    zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By zidane_24

Those are your only reasons? I'm fairly sure they put the expanding crosshair there to keep the DMR from becoming just another BR. If you want constant accuracy, use the pistol. If you want longer range and heavier firepower, go with the DMR.

KalAl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KalAl

BMR... Besignated Marksman Rifle?

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By delta_ass
    @Zidane_24 said:
    " Those are your only reasons? I'm fairly sure they put the expanding crosshair there to keep the DMR from becoming just another BR. If you want constant accuracy, use the pistol. If you want longer range and heavier firepower, go with the DMR. "
    Are you kidding me? The pistol blooms way more then the DMR.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Delta_Ass said:
    " @Zidane_24 said:
    " Those are your only reasons? I'm fairly sure they put the expanding crosshair there to keep the DMR from becoming just another BR. If you want constant accuracy, use the pistol. If you want longer range and heavier firepower, go with the DMR. "
    Are you kidding me? The pistol blooms way more then the DMR. "
    Pistol definitely blooms more dramatically. I agree.  

Also, y'all. Don't forget the knife. For lots of face and neck stabbing. There's one move you can do where you stab a guy five or six times real quick, shank-style. Just like, "uh, uh, uh, uh, uh."
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nekroskop

It's always funny to stand at the sideline when these "TRIPLE A" games come out. 

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By Hector
    @kmdrkul said:
    " Fail to see how you could be "not impressed" when those are the only faults you currently see with the game... "
    Exactly.
    SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpawnMan
    @kmdrkul: @Hector: @Cube: Well they're pretty MAJOR changes. An expanding crosshair isn't just like making a gun move from 4 shots to 5 shots or tweaking the power of it or the range it can shoot. Expanding crosshairs change the entire game completely! It's like suddenly adding the prone function from MW2 to Halo or the cover system - it's a major change. 

Halo has always been fictional - ie, you can take loads of damage and you never lose accuracy when you fire and you can jump and have fun. Now it's trying to be a MW2 wannabe and these features it's taken are just too much! So like I said, the expanding crosshair is just insane. And yes, it is a fairly big deal for me - I now can no longer feel I'm accurate at long to mid ranges with weapons so have to rush in like an idiot and beast to get kills, which goes against my gaming style. And it ruins probably one of my favourite weapons, the BR, and replaces it with a shorter range piece of sh*t which takes forever to kill anyone because even though it's a  5-shot kill, at longer ranges probably about a third of your shots are gonna hit, so it becomes over 10 shots just to kill them, and by the time you pump those shots out ONE AT A TIME, your target has already gone for cover. 

Like I said, it's not an isolated feature where I can choose to use another gun - the BMR is one of the primary starting weapons in a lot of game types and it's not JUST limited to the BMR, but to pretty much all the guns! The whole shooting system has changed. So excuse me if it's only one thing, but if you haven't noticed, it's a major thing. Forge I can live with, but the crosshair expansion is killing me.
    flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By flufflogic

I would say the BR was broken, and the DMR fixes it. I'm sorry, but barring it being a miniature MAC cannon (which is essentially a giant railgun), no gun can be that perfectly accurate. I'm more accurate with DMR now than I ever was BR, because I've had to learn to compensate like I do all the other guns. Works for me.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twiggy199

"unimpressed" Your complaining about Push/Pull and a rifle....

j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By j_meyer_13

Okay, really? I refuse to take you seriously until you at least learn how to spell the acronym correctly.  And overpower jetpacks? Any time you use itl, you're a sitting (well, flying) duck, you move so slowly you're wide open to anyone picking you off in mid-air.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK
    @SpawnMan said:
    " If it wasn't for the forge sh*t and expanding crosshair I think I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the game as I do, even with other minor problems such as over-powering jetpacks and lack of sufficient quitting penalties. "

You do realize you actually get banned from matchmaking after you've quit one too many times? And the bloom is the entire point of the DMR. You have to control your trigger finger as WELL as aim properly. It's actually far more accurate than the BR (which could never ever cope on blood gulch/haemorrhage in its halo 3 guise) as well when you're using it properly. I suspect this inability is also the cause of your "overpowering jetapcks". Because they're just slow moving targets with nowhere to hide that EVERYONE can see and shoot at. 
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rawrz

I dont see the big probmel with the expanding cursor thing. If you really wanna compare the DMR to the BR and break it down, the pace in which you fire either to be accurate and effective is pretty much the same. The only difference is the DMR gives you the option to spam it and be less accurate while the BR didnt.

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By wfolse1
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " " The problem is the expanding crosshair. With the BR you could basically snipe people across the map with it:"   I think that was the problem with it. "
    This.  The expanding crosshair is a huge improvement IMO.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheFreeMan
    DMR.
    Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Glak

So you're unimpressed because they changed an OP weapon, to something that takes more patience and is more balanced
    Interesting...................
    Btw, I'm pretty sure it's a DMR not a BMR

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#26  Edited By kariyanine

I found the BR to be quite cheap so I'm with most of these others, the DMR balances the game more. 

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KennyPowers

This just in: Big game is released. Bought by many. Some are disappointed. That is all. 

Every time a popular game comes out, these forums get flooded with posts like this and everyone feels the need to make their own new topic.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpawnMan
    @crunchUK: Yes I know you get banned, but for only 15 minutes. You take EVERY other feature from MW2, but not the quitting/joining features which would stop a team quitting all together! All my friends on LIVE don't give a damn about the quit ban and neither do the quitters I've encountered so far too. 

@KennyPowers: Actually it's a blog post not  new topic... It just linked to the Halo Reach forum. 

Geez guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't like it, I'm right for me, you're right for you. Don't reply if you're going to simply attack me for having a different opinion to you - if you can't add something new to what has been said, then don't comment.    This community is such a horrible monster some times when you don't agree with its thoughts. So accept the fact I don't like the DMR and the expanding crosshair and then go think of something to say or stfu. It's a blog for MY opinions - don't like it? Don't read it! Save me your foulness. Cheers!
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By project343
    @SpawnMan: Weapon bloom was a response to the outrageously large gap between Halo players' skill levels. If you could understand the core mechanics of precision, aimed shots (as both the DMR and BR were mechanically supposed to entale), you could have a fighting chance in precision fights. 

Or at least that's my hypothesis. I could be horribly wrong. But complaining that weapon bloom changes Halo dramatically is silliness. After 9 years of playing Halo, I still shoot dudes the same way. Now it just makes more sense. 

Also, all (relevant) weapons have weapon bloom. Look at the pistol. Or any weapon. They all gots bubbly things that expand when you shoot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.