Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Legendary Halo: Reach So Rewarding

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By R3Qui4M

I've completed a lot of games on their highest difficulty(COD game, GOW games, Gears of war 2). But most of them involve just brute force. Playing Halo: Reach on Legendary felt like I was improvising. You do die a lot. But every time I died I tried something different, some of them work, some them you die and try a different approach. I guess this is truly emergent gameplay.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I feel the same. After finishing most missions in H3 and ODST as well as having completed the first 2 in Legendary, I feel that Reach has the best quality for Legendary. Though it sometimes feels cheap, specially the shield of the Elites.... 

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By bibamatt

I think that this is where Halo is strongest.  The challenge (while it sometimes makes me scream!) is genuinely enjoyable.  Inching forward through checkpoints is awesome. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I guess im the only person who hates challenges and im on what Oni:sword base legendary and I already want to commit suicide.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Scullinator
    @Jmangino said:
    " I guess im the only person who hates challenges and im on what Oni:sword base legendary and I already want to commit suicide. "
    Why are you playing on Legendary then?  There is a normal setting for people who hate challenges.
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Potter9156

I'm on the third mission on Legendary and my strategy thus far has been hide behind something, peek out and pop off a few shots, repeat. Been working pretty well. Rewarding? Not at all. So I disagree.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wasara88

I dont get it why people fuss so much over it. It really wasn't that hard. I'm not trying to be a jerk,but seriously it's a challenging game on legendary but there are way harder games than Reach.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Raymayne

^ Jerk. 

OT: Too true.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaneDev

It was challenging in a good way little annoying with instant death fuel rods though. Surprisingly I got through most of the game with out using the plasma pistol and the armor abilities were crucial.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Psych0Penguin

Tbh, I have to agree with Jeff (Bombcast) in which he says he just bashed his head against it until he got through - Me and mate did the campaign of Legendary 1st time through and it was just 1 man running in and 1 man hanging back so the other dude can respawn when he inevitably dies.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Malakhii

I decided to go through with it, and so far I'm four missions in. It's actually turning out to be easier then the ridiculous expectations I had in my head. Much more enjoyable then COD, which was to take the words from the Bombcast, like hitting your head against the wall. (which is sort of funny because Jeff used it to describe Halo, which thanks to the more open nature of the battles I totally disagree with.)

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HydraHam
    @Wasara88 said:
    " I dont get it why people fuss so much over it. It really wasn't that hard. I'm not trying to be a jerk,but seriously it's a challenging game on legendary but there are way harder games than Reach. "
    Like what? reach on legendary is one the hardest if not hardest game this generation
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afroman269

Sounds like it just takes a lot of luck.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @Afroman269 said:
    " Sounds like it just takes a lot of luck. "
    When your shields deplete from 2-3 bullets, it definitely takes a lot more than luck.
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wasara88
    @Styl3s:  Well not for me. I have played the shit out of every halo game so i'm probably got a knack to it by now. L4D2 on expert at realism mode is alot harder than reach and if were talking game difficulty in general then Ninja Gaiden 2 on master ninja.
    Hiashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hiashi

If you didn't find it rewarding then you didn't explore your options enough to warrant a rewarding experience.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scullinator
    @Psych0Penguin said:

" Tbh, I have to agree with Jeff (Bombcast) in which he says he just bashed his head against it until he got through - Me and mate did the campaign of Legendary 1st time through and it was just 1 man running in and 1 man hanging back so the other dude can respawn when he inevitably dies. "

this is why so many people on giantbomb are complaining about it being too hard.  sheep, if Jeff jumped off a bridge......         
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Afroman269
    @xyzygy: I've played the game on legendary before (not alone though). In the sections of the game where you get stuck and constantly replay it, it seems like it's only random as to how you get past the situation. My friends and I barely changed strategies and sometimes it just so happens that the 10th time worked instead of past attempts. I call that luck.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @Afroman269: Sounds more like trial and error to me... luck is doing something once and succeeding, despite the odds. Trial and error is doing the same thing over and over until you get it. 
    Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Psych0Penguin
    @Scullinator said:
    " @Psych0Penguin said:

" Tbh, I have to agree with Jeff (Bombcast) in which he says he just bashed his head against it until he got through - Me and mate did the campaign of Legendary 1st time through and it was just 1 man running in and 1 man hanging back so the other dude can respawn when he inevitably dies. "

this is why so many people on giantbomb are complaining about it being too hard.  sheep, if Jeff jumped off a bridge......          "
    But ... In that post I just described my experience, which was just continuously die-ing and respawn-ing. Nothing to do with what Jeff said, just shared a similar experience (ala; my agreement). 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60
    @Psych0Penguin said:
    " @Scullinator said:
    " @Psych0Penguin said:

this is why so many people on giantbomb are complaining about it being too hard.  sheep, if Jeff jumped off a bridge......          "
    But ... In that post I just described my experience, which was just continuously die-ing and respawn-ing. Nothing to do with what Jeff said, just shared a similar experience (ala; my agreement).  "
    It's just that most people on this site agree with the staff on literally everything, and if you disagree they get mad at you. Hence the sheep part of the other post. I'm not saying you are, but a lot of people on this site are indeed like that.
    KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KennyPowers
    @Scullinator said:
    " @Psych0Penguin said:

Completely agree.  The randomness of grenades and enemies blowing you up is pretty comparable to other FPS's on the highest difficulty.  It is a bit tougher when you have to take down guys with shields, but I dont think its difficulty is noteworthy (at least to the level people are making it out to be)
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I agree with the OP. If things are not going right for you in Reach on Legendary, you are doing something wrong and just not seeing it. As opposed to COD's beat your head into the wall over and over until you luckily make the next checkpoint approach, the tough spots in Reach do have a solution. When you find them it is definitely rewarding.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By schizogony

I've been playing on Heroic (something I haven't done in a Halo game before) and absolutely love it.  I can't BELIEVE I wasted so much time in the past just playing on Normal (or even Easy).  I will go for Legendary (maybe co-op) right after finishing this Heroic playthrough. 

I used to be one of those people that would play on Normal or Easy for most any game "just to get the story."  Big mistake.  Great games are made so much greater when you ramp up the difficulty, when you need to make every bullet (or sword swing, etc.) count, when you must be wary of every single enemy.  You'll parish a lot, but when you finally get past a part, oh man are you happy.  So rewarding! 

When a game is built as perfectly has Halo: Reach is built, it becomes something of a sport - something that actually is humanly possible to play (and beat) no matter the difficulty, just gotta train yourself and keep at it.  Tom McShea (of GameSpot) said there are no hard games, only unskilled players.  He was trolling a but but also sincere about it.  And it's true: if a game isn't broken, anyone can beat it on the hardest setting.  Just practice!    

EDIT:  Plus, playing on harder single player settings makes jumping into the multiplayer a little less intimidating. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says

World at War on Veteran is straight up unfair, there are infinite respawning enemies and they each have 4 grenades....and they never stop throwing them. After that Halo Reach Legendary was a breeze, except maybe one part in the whole thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scullinator said:
    " @Jmangino said:
    " I guess im the only person who hates challenges and im on what Oni:sword base legendary and I already want to commit suicide. "
    Why are you playing on Legendary then?  There is a normal setting for people who hate challenges. "
    For the same reason 80% of the other people are, for the achievement. Duh?
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PillClinton

definitely a difficult, but rewarding playthrough.  

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By LegalBagel

The wide open spaces and semi-random movement do make for different strategies as you try to make it through a difficult point.  But there are still parts that are more annoying than anything.  I know it's supposed to be a challenge, but when a creature of any type can jump out and rip you apart in a couple seconds, it can be very annoying and luck-based to deal with.  Quite a few times I found myself exploiting the stupidity of AI or the invincibility of my AI partners to get through, which definitely reduces the enjoyment. 

ETA:  I definitely think Heroic is a fun experience, but Legendary is much more trial, error, and luck than skill.  Especially when a stray shot, grenade or overeager elite can kill you without warning.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

It's definitely completely different on Legendary than normal.  My first run through I did heroic though, so a lot of strategies I used on heroic still worked on Legendary.  I actually completed Legendary faster than on heroic since i had the knowledge of whats coming already.  So I was better prepared, conserved ammo and picked up the right weapons.  Legendary was definitely fun though, no question.  Maybe some parts felt like trial and error, but the entire game I took my time, having LOTS of patience for each encounter.  Doing that made it super easy.  Legendary with 3 Elites in the distance, I have just a DMR that I don't want to waste because its so useful.  I kill a grunt and take that green charging energy pistol.  Charge shot + head shot on each elite.  Only wasted 3 bullets for something that could've taken 3 clips. 

I did it solo also.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see why they would say Legendary is impossible, because if you don't know how to play it then it is.  But Heroic isn't that bad, I found it quite easy.  Also when Brad said Winter Contingency on solo Legendary was impossible, I laughed because I found it easier than Heroic.

Stinky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stinky2
    @Agent47CSim2 said:
    " I can see why they would say Legendary is impossible, because if you don't know how to play it then it is.  But Heroic isn't that bad, I found it quite easy.  Also when Brad said Winter Contingency on solo Legendary was impossible, I laughed because I found it easier than Heroic. "
    halo can be random.  
    i've playing the same scene over again can be difficult or easy, sometimes the AI will take out an elite sometimes they wont.   

the other more common thing is that there are certain ways to play an area, you do what Bungie wants you to do and the scene can play out easy. 
    you try and fight the battle from a different position, and bam that mission can be killer.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bybeach

At times I honor this is an excellent game,because at times it is. Other times, it's cheap. Pisses me off that enemies trot around friendly AI that just stands there, so as they can kill me. The marines on my side must of been having a ciggie break. 

Finally, my brilliant improvisation was to stop fighting this enemy, and just spam the warthog up the steps and run them all over. I felt so good for that one, got me to the next chapter. 

I'm playing heroic, and at times just want to get to the end.  But, I appreciatte I'm hating the game often because it's simply hard and I have to think. Thats okay because of course there are ways that feels good to discover
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By pweidman

Agreed tc.  Bungie's always done higher difficulties correctly, unlike most other devs.  And watch a replay or two and what you see is very interesting.  The amount of stuff you could do better and the importance of being more situationally aware becomes obvious.  Definitely hard, but fair, and the tools are there to solve every situation/lvl, if you look and use your options.
    Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ryu
    @Styl3s said:
    " @Wasara88 said:
    " I dont get it why people fuss so much over it. It really wasn't that hard. I'm not trying to be a jerk,but seriously it's a challenging game on legendary but there are way harder games than Reach. "
    Like what? reach on legendary is one the hardest if not hardest game this generation "
    Play Ninja Gaiden 2 on the hardest difficulty.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Death_Unicorn

A few days ago, I went and tried to do the space mission on Legendary. I did it, without dying and as the end cutscene started rolling in, I thought "Man, that was too easy!" I went back to the menu and realized I was playing on normal...

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wasara88
    @Ryu:  Gaah why did you reply to me when you commented the OP's reply? And i whole heartetly agree that Ninja Gaiden 2 is harder....even on the warrior difficulty.
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icil
    @Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

" I agree with the OP. If things are not going right for you in Reach on Legendary, you are doing something wrong and just not seeing it. As opposed to COD's beat your head into the wall over and over until you luckily make the next checkpoint approach, the tough spots in Reach do have a solution. When you find them it is definitely rewarding. "

I liken it to a puzzle. It's almost like Legendary turns Halo into a FPS puzzle. I feel like whenever I pass a checkpoint, it's because I threw that perfect grenade or I really used my clips wisely, etc. You always feel like you deserved that checkpoint. 

I just wish I could matchmake it =(
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pweidman
    @Icil said:
    "@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said: 
      I just wish I could matchmake it =( "

That feature is coming soon as part of Bungie's first patch...seems I heard this month..or early Oct.??
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By FreakAche

I don't know how I feel about it, because I'm not very far on my legendary playthrough yet. It seems the best strategy is to run around with the plasma pistol and a more conventional weapon (assault rifle, DMR, that plasma weapon that every elite seems to have, etc), while making heavy use of cover. Also, use grenades to break up groups of grunts and those shield/sniper guys.

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrKart
    @Psych0Penguin said:
    I agree. It honestly just felt cheap as hell sometimes. At one point I was supposed to take down a wraith, but it hid behind some rocks and didn't come out unless I approached it. Guess what, as soon as I got close enough to approach it, it would fire and kill me, and since the blast radius is increased about 500 fold, it made it all the worse. When it didn't feel cheap and when you don't have to rely on horribly programmed partner AI, it felt great, challenging but not impossible, the occasional death serving as a, "Oh, I shouldn't do that." But that was only about half the time, to be honest.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By metalmoog
    @Jmangino said:
    I'm with you on this one man.  I just don't have the patience for it. I too am only on Oni Sword Base and have thrown my controller and screamed in rage at the tv a shitload.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MisterChief

Took me a day to beat this on Legendary. Just be patient, know when to skip encounters and use the noob combo.

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Sidekick-Trio

Reach was challenging because in a lot of spots it's incredibly cheap. I can't count the number of times I'd pop around a corner to a perfectly timed fuel rod cannon blast, I wouldn't hear the shot get fired but it'd be there when I turned the corner which leads me to think it's cheap AI. I also got stuck at a check point during the platforming/jetpack sequence where I watched a plasma grenade turn mid air at a 45 degree angle to stick me over and over again. I still enjoyed it but there are times when it's more dumb luck than skill or intelligence that gets you through a portion of the game.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By flufflogic

Had to control my happy dance a minute ago for finishing it, solo, Legendary. Got my Carter helmet too (didn't die once from save point, which was at the cannon), switched to Waypoint to unlock the final armour piece (up-armoured CQB, legendary completion needed), and unlocked the last of the Milestone awards too ^_^ 

Sword Base was the hardest mission for me, due to terrible checkpointing at the start making it so you have to get all the way to the Target Locator before it'd trigger, but ironically I found The Package really easy. I actually did the final stretch of Pillar of Autumn far easier than my first Heroic run, probably because I got back into the Halo rhythms of EMPing shields and headshots.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By metalmoog

Still plugging away at this.  Never tried any Halo game before on Legendary this one is brutal.  Spent about 3 hours on Nightfall ended up having no DMR ammo and 7 sniper rounds.  Find I'm always out of ammo and cannot find any guns except shotguns all over the place. The Elites are super overpowered imo, takes a billion shots to take them down and a sticky plasma grenade doesn't even kill them, yet when they stick you it's instant death. Don't know if I'm going to continue, it really is an exercise in frustration it's like lining up to get kicked in the balls over and over and over! :D

kms_md

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kms_md

you really need to use the overcharged plasma pistol shot followed by a magnum/needle rifle/DMR head shot to kill elites.  taking down their shields is the key.  usually (whenever there are elites on the battlefield) you will find tons of plasma pistols laying around.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47  Edited By natetodamax

I don't see how people have the patience to try out different tactics. I know that if I'm dying several times at one part I usually find myself doing the same thing over and over. Because you know, I expect my guns to work when I shoot fools in the head.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By nukesniper

i just felt I was doing a lot of hiding and letting my allies do the killing. On parts where I was alone I usually found what worked, but died a lot trying to accomplish it. I don't think this is exciting and new, I think it is 275 gamerscore that I am suffering to get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.