Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

When and Why Did You Get Over Halo?

• 73 results
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By KowalskiManDown

When Halo 2 came out.

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Ugalde

I still play everyday.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By luce

halo 2 

when they started paying more attention to multiplayer and stopped caring about the campaign

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By zombie2011

I haven't, Halo 3 has the best multiplayer on the consoles. Bungie keeps supporting it and because of that people keep playing it, and now with firefight coming they are just adding onto what is already the most robust multiplayer on any console. COD4 is fun but it lacks the variety of game modes and features Halo 3 has, plus Halo creates the most insane moments in multiplayer and single player. If you don't believe me just look up one of the millions of Halo montages on YouTube, no other game can reproduce those moments. 

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By Time_Lord

When I got stuck at Lieutenant in ranked play. My true skilled refused to move up or down so I quit. I don't play on line games much any more. 
    Looking foward to ODST though , fire fight looks awesome. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#56  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I got over Halo when I realized that Call of Duty 4 existed. It's not that I dislike it, but I was given the choice between two multiplayer FPS games I picked the one with real guns. But Halo is far better when you are playing in teams with people you know.

Oh, and people who say Halo 1 is the best have forgotten how bad the level design was in the single player and how broken the balance was in the Multiplayer (Lol Magnums). Bungie got far better by Halo 3, like it or not.

Pinmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Pinmonkey

When all the people on my friends list stopped playing Halo 3 after Call of Duty became the new big thing on the block. Kind of a shame considering unlike Halo 2 it was a pretty good game.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#58  Edited By meptron

Halo got me back into gaming as well. The original Halo is still in my books as one of the greatest FPSes. However, I'm one of those guys that didn't like Halo 2 and 3. So I guess you could say I got over Halo when Halo 2 came out.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MrKlorox

When I initially played the first one on Xbox. I could tell immediately this wasn't my style of game.

I picked up Halo 2 anyways and it was a similar story, except this time it was THE bandwagon game. Tried out the online regardless of my disdain for the SP and was verbally punched in the face by a gaggle of foul mouthed overprivileged 11 year old bigots. This will forever be the image of bandwagon gamers that pops into my head when I read comments on COD4/MW2. They're literally the same people.

I can find nothing redeemable to mention about Halo other than the fact that it was responsible for proving FPS could work okay with two thumbsticks.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Diamond

It's funny.  I first started liking Bungie when I was playing Myth on PC.  I knew about Marathon before it, but I was always a PC guy, never owned a Mac.  I had a friend with a Mac who said how Marathon was better than Doom.  Anyways, Bungie showed off RTS Halo at some Macworld, and I thought it looked really cool.  I was thinking they were going to make it Mac-exclusive, but I was definitely interested.  Time went by and I was hearing about Xbox, MS getting into consoles?  No chance that'll work out, right?

Finally E3 2001.  I saw a behind closed doors of Halo 1, HOLY SHIT.  The game looked and seemed to play like nothing I'd ever seen before.  You could get on that awesome vehicle and ride right into a fucking building, not even a load screen!  The bump mapped effects were miles beyond anything else at the time.  So anyways I got a Xbox at launch, played and really enjoyed Halo.  Thought it was a really cool game.  I spent a lot of time on the net, but I never realized how popular Halo was.  It wasn't until Halo 2 was coming out, midnight launch where I saw lines of people around my local mall unlike anything I've ever seen before.  Thousands of people lined up outside the mall in the cold, state police, it was crazy.

Basically, I was never affected by the Halo hype nor the backlash like most people have.  There's no such thing as 'getting over Halo', because you might as well say 'I'm totally over games' or 'I don't like things that are good, I only like shitty things'.  It's not the greatest game ever, but I accept it for what it is.

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By monkey523

I didn't buy Halo until well after Halo 2 came out.   I played a lot of multiplayer on the Xbox at friend's houses and loved it.  Everybody and their mother seemed to be raving about this game, especially the story and characters, so I bought it for PC (i had no xbox).  True, the story was great, but the gameplay was never THAT challenging, due to using a mouse and keyboard.  It was soo mush better on the xbox; I had never considered that an FPS could be better on a console than on a PC.  Even so, I put hundreds of hours into online multiplayer on my PC.

So many things contributed to me "getting over Halo", but if I had to narrow it down to one thing, it's that no matter how much better the gameplay was on the console, I just couldn't bring myself to pay for multiplayer when I could get it for free on a PC.  Call me cheap, call me "behind the times", but I still refuse to pay for Live on my 360.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Fosssil

I never really "got over it" in the sense of just dropping the game completely, though I stopped playing the series competitively after Halo 2. Halo 3 still has a higher skill gap than every other console shooter out there (save a few gems like Shadowrun and BF1943) and it's still fun to gather up a group of friends and jump into a Matchmaking playlist, but the comparatively diminished individual skill gap and many inconsistencies in the game ruin some of the enjoyment for me.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By crunchUK
    @Fosssil said:
    " I never really "got over it" in the sense of just dropping the game completely, though I stopped playing the series competitively after Halo 2. Halo 3 still has a higher skill gap than every other console shooter out there (save a few gems like Shadowrun and BF1943) and it's still fun to gather up a group of friends and jump into a Matchmaking playlist, but the comparatively diminished individual skill gap and many inconsistencies in the game ruin some of the enjoyment for me. "
    You need to play squad battle
    Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Noted

I played through the campaign in Halo:CE on my Xbox 1 twice. Once solo, and once co-op with a friend. Never touched it again. Didn't care about the story so I never bought 2 or 3, and I hate the controls so I don't want to try any of them multiplayer, or any other console FPS for that matter.

@Lazyaza said:

" Halo went bad the second it became involved with consoles and decided to be an fps. I still remember that epic E3 demo and thinking 'man this looks sick' and how utterly disappointed I was when the game we got ended up being what it did.  Still I did enjoy Halo 1 to some degree, it was a fun shooter, a highly overrated, overhyped, derivitive, unoriginal shooter but a fun one nontheless.   Now Halo 2 on the other hand, holy balls did they fuck that game up bad.  I cant think of a single thing about it I liked so naturally when it came to Halo 3 I was skeptical at best.  For some reason I ended up buying it, just like I bought Halo 1 and 2 and once again regretted doing so.  

The halo franchise is nothig but stolen ideas combined with tard-friendly game design layered on top of a generic shoved-way-up-its-own-ass story thats coupled with a a multiplayer experience that I cant even begin to see the fun in taking part in.   I wouldn't say I hate the franchise per-se, more that I hate how its regarded by so many people as this pinacle of gaming achievement which it really really isn't.  I'm sure every 10 - 18 year old xbox fanboy whose never touched a real first person shooter in their life disagrees though.  "
    This pretty much nails my feelings about the Halo franchise.
    JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By JBird
    @OZ:
    Im so glad i read your post!, my main online shooter is Cod WAW, and if my day s going badly or somthing i tend to play rubbish and then when i get shot effortlessly by someone while im spraying entire rounds out i just get pissed off! I too love the single player storys when stressed.
    GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By GoodKn1ght

not over it, its still in my clcyle of fps's that i play online including cod4 and left for dead( yeah i still play that game, its still fun)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By jakob187

The Halo 3 beta that came with Crackdown is what killed it for me.  The minute that I saw bubble shields, life drains, life replenishes, and all that shit...I just didn't care anymore.  They made it far too noob-friendly for me.  Meanwhile, when I tried to get into it, I was disgusted by the amount of "MLG muthafucka" mentality and children running their mouth because they got buttfucked by my KDR that I just couldn't take it anymore.  That game's community quickly became a massive joke to me, and I couldn't continue on. 

Halo 2 was such a good multiplayer game that it's hard for me to enjoy the franchise anymore.  I liked Halo Wars, though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#68  Edited By Hailinel
    @Fosssil said:
    " I never really "got over it" in the sense of just dropping the game completely, though I stopped playing the series competitively after Halo 2. Halo 3 still has a higher skill gap than every other console shooter out there (save a few gems like Shadowrun and BF1943) and it's still fun to gather up a group of friends and jump into a Matchmaking playlist, but the comparatively diminished individual skill gap and many inconsistencies in the game ruin some of the enjoyment for me. "
    Wait, people still play Shadowrun?  I thought that game crashed and burned.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Brendan

After 3 I kind of burned ot on it, I just get caught up in the hp of new games easily (bring someone who visits game sites alot) and can't play one games multiplayer for that long after release.  I loved all 3, however, even as someone who player PC FPS all through the late nineties. 
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fosssil
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Fosssil said:
    Wait, people still play Shadowrun?  I thought that game crashed and burned. "
    Shadowrun did crash and burn in a traditional commercial sense, but there still exists a very dedicated group of players who keep the game going. I don't play as often as I used to, but I still have no problem getting into a Pub game when I jump online, and there are plenty of people who still play private matches. It's a great game (only $15) that I highly recommend to anyone craving a different experience from Halo or CoD.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By natetodamax

Well, you see, Halo 3......

You know what, I'm not even going to say anything. Because as soon as I do, this thread will turn into a shitstorm.

Infinityslimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Infinityslimit

Halo 2 ruined it big time. It was hyped and hyped by bungie as being the second coming over and over. Then when it hit it was just passable as a halo game. It's a shame that ego got in the way of it being a good game, Halo 3 came closer to what 2 should have been but failed again. Halo 1 is still the best game in the series by far.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SoothsayerGB
    I never liked 1 to much.  So right after I beat 2 for the 10th time.  Then I got back into it when 3 came out.  Then out again right after I beat it once.  Didn't care about he MP.  Since CoD4 was out and I liked that more.  Still do.   Halo still feels slow, on rails, and the guns are boring. 

IMO, Halo 2 was the best Halo game, by a long shot.  Don't like 1 and 3 to much.  But love 2.  One of my favorite FPSers.   Only buying ODST, because of this year's huge lack of games, that interest me.  Just want to shoot a few aliens.  Thats it.

But really thoe, if ODST is anything like the first time you crash land in 2.  Then fight your way through the city. I will love it.  I used to just play that part over and over again.  

My best gaming time ever, was that year.  When I bought Halo 2 and MGS 3 at the same time. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.