Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hamburger

Object » linked to 362 games

A hamburger is a hunk of ground beef served between two pieces of bun-configured bread. Hamburgers are often served with a variety of toppings and condiments. It is named for the region in which it was invented, not for the kind of meat (as is often mistakenly suggested).

Where's the ham?

ivymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ivymike

I don't understand it...why are they called hamburgers when there's clearly no ham?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

No-one knows. One theory is that its named after Hamburg, New York, but its debatable.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By muralbat

Theres probably ham in the McDonald ones. Theres no godamn beef so anything could be in them

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Termite

Hamburgers were made by Germans, it's that simple. They were coming to the US and since bread and meat was about all they had, they simply put the two together.

And so history was made.

Hamburger is named after Hamburg Germany

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Termite said:
    "Hamburgers were made by Germans, it's that simple. They were coming to the US and since bread and meat was about all they had, they simply put the two together.

And so history was made.

"
    No, hamburgers are an American invention. No-one knows exactly where in America they come from, there are many theories. Read the "History of the Hamburger" Section in the hamburger article for more info.
    Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Termite
    MattyFTM said:
    "Termite said:
    "Hamburgers were made by Germans, it's that simple. They were coming to the US and since bread and meat was about all they had, they simply put the two together.

And so history was made.

"
    No, hamburgers are an American invention. No-one knows exactly where they come from in America, there are many theories. Read the "History of the Hamburger" Section in the hamburger article for more info.
    "
    Ah but in the Wikipedia article refer to the "Country of Origin" thing and you will see that my theory does have weight. I've heard multiple people in my life say the exact same thing too.
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By shotaro

The hamburg theory seems far more likely though in britain they're generally referred to as beef burgers..

nasie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By nasie

Actually I got served a ham sandwich once in bulgary when I ordred a hamburger. :)

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Bennyishere

I think the Hamburg, Germany theory is more plausible. That also explains why hamburgers are called hamburgers here in Norway even though "ham" means "him" in Norwegian and the English "ham" is called "skinke".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.