Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heroes of the Storm

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 02, 2015

Heroes from Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Overwatch, and other universes are summoned to the Nexus for five-on-five combat in Blizzard's take on the MOBA genre.

Blizzard and Valve Sort Out Their Legal Dispute Over DOTA Trademark

• 107 results
    Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Shabs

Wow. I didn't think Blizzard would be the ones to back down on the name.

Valve is more powerful than I thought.

soyombo2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By soyombo2001

@TPoppaPuff: I don't really know what you saying but you need get your facts straight. Blizzard All-stars is not a title, its not an IP, its not even a stand-alone game. It is a mod made for free for Starcraft 2 owners. They can name it whatever they want. They don't care how it sounds. It's just something fun for the fans that they are providing for free just like the mods that came before it. I might be off a little but they were called "Aiur Chef", "Star Jeweled", and "Left 2 Die". Get over it.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By TPoppaPuff

@soyombo2001: O RLY?

If it's not an IP then I could package the title and sell it to anyone I feel like and use all the characters and assets for my own commercial use, correct? I could jut steal the graphics and use them in my own game and sell it without any repercussions right? If it's not an intellectual property than there is literally nothing they could do.

Now fanboys are arguing it isn't an IP!

lol

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Duckbutter

you people in the Giantbomb community talk too much.

about 96% of the way through reading this article's title sentence, i thought they were gonna settle this dispute with an actual in-game Dota battle. that would have been cooler.

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#105  Edited By orange_pork

@Duckbutter said:

you people

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#106  Edited By Slag

@TPoppaPuff said:

Valve gave up practically nothing (except the right not to sue user mods with the name dota? lol good luck with that anyways) and Blizzard gave up everything.

I strongly suspect that when the terms of the actual agreement are released that we will see Valve gave up some decent $$$ to make Activision/Blizzard go away.

I agree with you that Valve has got the better end of the deal longterm, but it's not like Blizzard didn't get what they were really after (a quick payday and the freedom to still release their SCII mod). Whether Blizzard should have gone for more is a fair question.

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Jokers_Wild

@Addfwyn said:

Worth pointing out that the guy who Valve hired (Icefrog) did not make dota, he maintained and did some of the updates for dota. The original dota was made by Eul, though that bears little to no resemble to dota allstars which was created by Guinsoo (who works for Riot Games which makes League of Legends). So it's not really as cut and dry as 'maker of dota made dota 2'.

Icefrog's been overseeing DotA All-Stars for the last seven years. Given how much the game has changed (and grown in popularity) under his direction, he is essentially the person responsible for the iteration of Dota which most people are familiar with.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#108  Edited By TPoppaPuff

I'd also like to point out that on the point out on the 5-15 bombcast Patrick and Vinny agreed the name is indeed dumb.

So, y'know, winner winner chicken dinner. ;P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.