Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

Reboot or sequel?

Avatar image for theillusiveman0
    theillusiveman0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By theillusiveman0
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CaptainTightPants

On the gameplay side of things it can be seen as a reboot.  If they are acknowledging the existence of Diana(as well as her connection with agent 47) then it is set after Blood Money since she was alive in all of the prior entries.  That would also make it a sequel.  
    So... Both?

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By koobz

The "it's not set in any specific timeline" quote seems like a cop-out just in case they do something to upset fans with the plot in Absolution. To me it sounds like the game takes place after Blood Money but they just wanted to reserve the right to pretend Absolution didn't happen if people really don't like how Absolution turns out.

I mean, I'm not a huge follower of the games' plot, but the basic up-front premise being that you start the game by killing the only other named character that matters seems like it might upset longtime fans? (I don't know, I never played Hitman for the story.) So the producer was probably just trying to cover their collective asses if they want to continue with certain elements of Absolution but magically bring a character back in a sequel or something.

TL;DR: It sounds like the producer just didn't want to commit to anything because he didn't want to risk souring public opinion so far out from release, while still making the game sound fresh and new.

Avatar image for theillusiveman0
    theillusiveman0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By theillusiveman0

@Koobz: thats the feeling I get but it just seemed like a stupid thing and it threw me off when I seen the trailer today after reading the aricle I mentioned

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.