Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 07, 2011

The electric superhuman, Cole MacGrath, returns in the sequel to 2009's open world superhero third-person action game from Sucker Punch, featuring new graphics, a new city, and new powers.

Infamous 2 Beta - Actual Beta or Glorified Demo?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ProfessorEss

I was curious if anyone knows the deal with the Infamous 2 Beta. Is it full on Beta testing, load testing, balancing and/or tweakings or simply one of this generation's many glorified demos?

I'm mainly curious about the amount of actual testing going on and if the recent PSN outage will effect it's release date or not.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

"beta" is now just a word for demo. Or thats what I think. 

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

It's not a beta for the game, it's a beta of the mission maker or whatever so people can see what it's like.
    I've been waiting a week to be able to download the damn thing.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By N7

It's a little of both, from what I understand. If you make missions that are really awesome, they'll actually be in the game when it comes out.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By MEATBALL

Considering it's something the team hasn't done before I daresay it's an actual beta. If it were a glorified demo I'd say they'd be distributing it a little more widely than through random e-mails and the ilk. There's always the added advantage to public betas acting as a vehicle to help build hype for your title, but I don't think that has to be completely exclusive from a beta being an important part of the final stages of development/preparation for release.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By phish09

This game is set to come out this summer, hence it's a demo.  If this was 18 months ago when the game was still being built, I would consider it a beta, but when you are this close to release you are not going to completely change fundamental aspects of the gameplay based on user feedback.  Unless of course this game does get pushed back til 2012 because of this, then it could be seen as a Beta still.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " "beta" is now just a word for demo. Or thats what I think.  "
    That's what I'm hoping but I wouldn't be surprised if that user-created stuff required some form of large scale testing.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

At first, I was rather annoyed with developers releasing "beta's" that were obviously just demo's, but I really can't blame them any more.  Whenever you see people playing proper beta's, they treat it as nothing more than a demo.  I've been in the new Age of Empires beta and the community on there is just hell, people just don't seem to understand that they point of it is to find what doesn't work and help fix it.  The Guild Wars 2 guys have already said there will definitely not be an open beta, and they'll just do a preview event close to the release.  A few bugs is less damaging than having millions judging an unfinished product.

From what I understand with inFamous though, they're testing out the user generated content stuff, so I'd imagine this is at least partially a proper beta.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm assuming (and hoping) that it would've been announced by now if the PSN outage effected Infamous 2's release date at all.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They just announced the official release date for Europe, so I guess there's no delays.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.