Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 07, 2011

The electric superhuman, Cole MacGrath, returns in the sequel to 2009's open world superhero third-person action game from Sucker Punch, featuring new graphics, a new city, and new powers.

inFamous 2 UGC Beta Impressions

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

As a big fan of inFamous I am really excited for the sequel so I was pretty pumped when I got my beta invite today. I've only played for about 2 hours (mostly messing around) but I like what I see.
    First of all the climbing and general movement feels largely the same as inFamous. Cole still has that floaty jump and he likes to stick to things he can hold on to (even when you may not want him to). The animations do feel somewhat more realistic so when cole is runing around he no longer looks like his underpants are 3 sizes too small. The level design also feels a lot more accommodating when it comes to your locomotion. First of all when you jump from a car you can propel yourself upward in the air for a short distance which is very useful for getting onto the trolley wires (or whatever they're called - basically the train tracks on New Marais). There's the usual wire grinding and floating powers but now some buildings have these pipes you can instantly zip up on. Very handy if you don't want to waste 45 seconds climbing a house.

Graphics are better though I'm a little let down since the trailers made them look amazing and that they are not. They're still pretty good, but nowhere near Uncharted 2 (or even 1) levels. Also there's a ton of pop-in when you're wire grinding just like the last game. Building are no longer the same 5 generic ones though.

As far as combat goes there's 3 big changes that I noticed:

1.) Your new levitation power. Basically you can lift anything within a certain radius of yourself, aim and let it fly. Doing so doesn't use any of your juice (just like the standard attack) which basically means you can do it as many times as you like. Add a couple of cars in the mix and you have giant flying projectiles of death. Your range is not bad either. I chucked a couple of cars straight in the sky and they got a good 500 feet of air before plummeting down to earth. You can also levitate a car you're standing on then use the jump boost to get even higher.

2.) Melee combat is a bit more competent. It's still a basic 3 -4 hit combo, but now you can fill up a meter and do a finish attack at the end that sends people flying. You also got your amp which means your range is a bit better. Not to mention it actually looks kinda cool.

3.) You can select which type of upgrade to apply. Before they stacked, but now each one is standalone. For example you can choose to have sticky grenades or double grenades (where it splits in two). Or you can have a levitating force push or a narrower one that travels farther and packs a bigger punch. There's also some locked powers that are either red or blue and I assume they are the fire/ice powers. It's worth noting that there's only a couple of them in the current menu so there probably wont be too many in the final game (6-8 total vs the 20-30 electric ones).

I also fooled around a bit with the mission creator. It seems simple enough. You use a radial menu to pick objects/enemies and place them around then use logic boxes and cables to make everything do what you want it to. You can even have characters speak dialogue and do specific animations (I had one guy flick me off).

I'll have more when I can put in some more time. In the meantime Portal 2 awaits me....

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mosdl

Open world games will have a hard time competing graphically with linear games like Uncharted, so its no surprise.  I heard complains about the aiming though, which was one of the stronger points of the first.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b

so, sounds good then?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777
    @mosdl said:
    " Open world games will have a hard time competing graphically with linear games like Uncharted, so its no surprise.  I heard complains about the aiming though, which was one of the stronger points of the first. "
    Aiming seems fine to me. No complaints here
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

I've been playing it a fair bit as well. The UGC stuff takes a little to get used to, but it seems like it could be really cool. I loved the first inFamous so I'm really excited about this one.

I wonder if there'll be any major changes as far as graphics pop-in or whatever (which I did notice a little) since we're not sure how old this build is and they still have a little time before launch to optimize.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#6  Edited By Valkyr

What about the jaggies?, watching the trailer it seems that they are now using MLAA but the video compression and the resolution could be hiding them

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7

I think it's pretty awesome. At first I was like "AWWW YEAH!" and then I saw all the tools you had to use and I was like "omg nooooo". But it actually isn't complicated at all. I started out not knowing how to do anything, and now I know how to do a pretty good amount of stuff. I like how you can put the settings anywhere. It's really handy.

The only thing I can't do is figure out how to make enemies spawn, so I have to place them far away and then have a "follow this way point when the time comes" and it's really funky.

I really like it though. It got me super hyped for the full game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.