Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Iron Brigade

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 22, 2011

Described as "a game about love," Iron Brigade is a goofy alternate-historical WW1-themed third-person shooter/tower defense mash-up where up to four players take control of hulking bipedal tanks and must endure swarms of television-based robots.

Got Trenched from TNT, don't have XBL Gold. Opinions needed.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Silver-Streak

So before this week's TNT, I was considering buying Trench and XBL Gold to play on TNT.

Then I realized it was too late and the GBTNT friend list was full. However, I was still considering buying trenched later to mess with singleplayer. For the first time in GB give-away history, I actually got one of the Trenched codes, apparently the first one.

I'm having a ton of fun with singleplayer, but I have only just passed the first boss and can already tell it's really meant to shine in co-op.

I let my XBL subscription lapse a year or so ago, as at that time multi-platform games were finally on even footing between the 360 and PS3, so I'd automatically start buying the multiplayer ones for PS3. I really want to get all the Trenched achievements, plus help with/check out a regiment, but I don't want to resubscribe to XBL Gold for a year. With the 1 month for $1 dollar deal disappearing from the dashboard the day after I won the code, of course, I'm trying to figure out how likely it would be for me to get enough decent partners to get me through the rest of the game and the achievements within a month.

I saw the stickied post, but am unsure if 80 posts is a good indicator of availability of GB members playing , and if so, the likelyhood of me getting in on a game.

Any insight/opinions are appreciated.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

You can get year gold cards for like $35-$40 sometimes.

I can never think of a reason not to have Gold, unless you're scraping together coins to buy bread. In that case, you probably shouldn't be gaming. XBL is so cheap it's practically free.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Rolyatkcinmai: I have been playing multiplayer games (Edit: on PC and past systems, including even current handhelds) for far to long, and feel that charging for an ad-filled service just to play multiplayer is ridiculous, especially when you consider that microsoft themselves do not host the servers, everything is peer to peer between 360s. The reason why I had it originally was because the games themselves played better on 360 at the time, and once that benefit faded to near nothing, playing multiplayer games on the PS3, for free, was the better option.

Just because I have the money for live doesn't mean I should throw it away for something that should be free. However Trenched has given me a very compelling reason to consider at least getting it again for a month or so. Just trying to figure out if it'd be worthwhile.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Eujin said:

@Rolyatkcinmai: I have been playing multiplayer games for far to long, and feel that charging for an ad-filled service just to play multiplayer is ridiculous, especially when you consider that microsoft themselves do not host the servers, everything is peer to peer between 360s. The reason why I had it originally was because the games themselves played better on 360 at the time, and once that benefit faded to near nothing, playing multiplayer games on the PS3, for free, was the better option.

Just because I have the money for live doesn't mean I should throw it away for something that should be free. However Trenched has given me a very compelling reason to consider at least getting it again for a month or so. Just trying to figure out if it'd be worthwhile.

I guess it's just such a minuscule amount of money that it makes purposely hindering myself out of the question. PSN has gotten much better, but it's still missing core features that make playing anything mutliplayer on it an absolute debacle (SOCOM 4 was a retarded mess). Steam is the best of the three and is free so you have a point there at least.

For $3 a month, I'm not going to make some kind of stand out of principle. I spend more than that on a single coffee every morning.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Rolyatkcinmai:Definitely understandable. It's not so much a stand as much as doing it made me feel it was nonsense, like having 2 restaurants next to one another, one which gives you free burgers, and one which gives you identical $1 burgers. Yeah, it's totally only a dollar, but if it's the same burger(multiplayer in general), why spend the $1 in the first place? I don't care about party chat/cross game chat, that's the only real difference between a multiplatform game on the PS3 and 360.

Having said that, Trenched is not, and will never be, a multiplatform game, so to get the thread back on track: Does anyone think there are enough community members or random players on trenched for me to end up on enough teams to get through all of the trenched stuff in 1 month? I didn't have to buy Trenched (Thank you GB and DF. Was gonna buy it anyway, you guys are awesome), so I could easily part with the cash for a 1 month XBL subscription, but if I won't get any use out of it, I'd rather just go buy something off Steam.

Edited for more nonsense, less stupid.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Choffy

@Eujin: To re-bring it off topic, you just said it yourself that the "burgers" are different. PSN would be a basic hamburger, and Xbox Live would be a cheeseburger with lettuce and pickles. Sure the hamburger is good, but for a dollar wouldn't you want the cheese, lettuce and pickles?

Also, just get Xbox Live. You can't even use Netflix without it. Definitely worth it if you can find a card for $40; makes it $3.33 a month.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

Amazon sells year cards for $40-$50

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Eujin said:

@Rolyatkcinmai:Definitely understandable. It's not so much a stand as much as doing it made me feel it was nonsense, like having 2 restaurants next to one another, one which gives you free burgers, and one which gives you identical $1 burgers. Yeah, it's totally only a dollar, but if it's the same burger(multiplayer in general), why spend the $1 in the first place? I don't care about party chat/cross game chat, that's the only real difference between a multiplatform game on the PS3 and 360.

Having said that, Trenched is not, and will never be, a multiplatform game, so to get the thread back on track: Does anyone think there are enough community members or random players on trenched for me to end up on enough teams to get through all of the trenched stuff in 1 month? I didn't have to buy Trenched (Thank you GB and DF. Was gonna buy it anyway, you guys are awesome), so I could easily part with the cash for a 1 month XBL subscription, but if I won't get any use out of it, I'd rather just go buy something off Steam.

Edited for more nonsense, less stupid.

Trenched is really great, but it's not a long game, you can do the main stuff in a few evenings and a couple of days of play will get you most of the bits and pieces, it's a total blast though I really enjoyed it and I'd be happy to play through it again with some other GB guys.

(Also I'm playing it in Europe.)

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Choffy:

Man, this is going to spiral out of control away from my original inquiry, but oh well.

Netflix is available(and the client seems to be better from what I've heard) for free through PS3. This would matter only if I used Netflix, which I don't, so I don't have any hands on experience.

And I don't get lettuce and pickles of my burgers, so no, I wouldn't pay the extra $1 for them. (This follows with XBL as well, if I only care about playing multiplayer, not netflix/twitter). Plus, its less like the $1 add lettuce and pickles, since multiplayer is a pretty important part of the game, which is why the $1 burger place gives you nothing if you pay nothing. You have to pay the $1 for the burger and everything else, where as the free burger store gives you the bun, burger and cheese, but no lettuce and pickles(Netflix and cross game chat). If we're going to take the analogy even further, if you pay the $1 at the free burger restaurant, you actually get /additional/ meats per burger, like bacon and BBQ pork (IE: Additional "Free" games from PSN Plus), so not only do I get what I came for (the burger/multiplayer), but even more deliciousness(additional games).

And now I'm hungry.

(Also, the fact you have to pay for XBL to use Netflix is kinda retarded, seeing as you're already paying for Netflix. Same way that you can only use Hulu Plus if you have PSN Plus, even though you already pay for hulu.)

If a mod spies this, and the thread spirals out of control, please feel free to lock/delete. I don't want the awesomeness of Trenched making me consider getting XBL again, turn into some sort of crazy console war thread.

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Xdsk

Just buy a three month card. Its a nice taste of what's going on without costing an arm and a leg.

fleshribbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By fleshribbon

Yeah, if you're not big into XBL then I'd say just get a 1 month or 3 month XBL subscription (you can even get an online immediate code from Amazon now). I have 4 achievements left to get in the game so 1 month of XBL should be more than enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.