Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jackbox Games

Company »

Now known as Jackbox Games, the company formerly known as Jellyvision is a game development company best known for "You Don't Know Jack" games.

Which Jackbox Party Pack should I get?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Which Jackbox Party Pack should I get? (184 votes)

Jackbox Party Pack 1 30%
    Jackbox Party Pack 2 14%
    Jackbox Party Pack 3 54%

Hello!

I've only recently got a PS4 and thought I should get one of these after playing some at a friends place. The only thing is it seems like, much like Cable TV, to get all the ones I want I need to get all 3 and end up with stuff I have no interest in/I've heard is bad.

I had a great time with Quiplash, fibbage and Drawful, but the T-shirt game also looks amazing but it seems like it's a bit of a mission to try and get them all under one roof. It also seems like some of the later packs include bigger versions of the stuff like Quiplash as well?

I don't really want to buy more than one so which would you recommend the most?

If you need see what pack has what games:

Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

• 
    MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MezZa

I'd go 3. It might be missing drawful, fibbage, and you don't know jack, but it has a solid amount of decent to great games. It's safe to ignore Pack 2 in my opinion because Quiplash is the only really good game in that pack, and you can get Quiplash 2 by going with Pack 3. If you really want Drawful, they sell Drawful 2 separately as well.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By BisonHero

Jackbox Party Pack 3 is probably the most consistently good, but here's my breakdown:

• Pack 1: You're buying this for Fibbage and Drawful. Word Spud and Lie Swatter are terrible. You Don't Know Jack is good in theory, and I've really enjoyed the past games, but since people's smartphones are the controllers now, it creates problems. YDKJ is a "buzz in and answer the question the fastest" game, so my experience has been that people's phones have wildly varying latency and it's a horrible experience where the lowest ping player just dominates the Jack Attack at the end.
    • Pack 2: You're buying this for Fibbage 2 and Quiplash XL. Earwax can have its moments depending on if your players are really into sound effects humour, but Bidiots has overly complicated rules and is kinda just strictly worse than the elegant simplicity of Drawful. Bomb Corp is like less good Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.
    • Pack 3: Quiplash 2 is the star here, but for once, all of the other games are actually at least OK. Fakin' It is the most awkward one if your group isn't really into it, but it's a solid idea. The rest are decent ideas as well. fwiw, I've played with several groups that weren't very into the directionless, "make a funny/random t-shirt" of T.K.O. and vastly prefer Drawful. I'm glad the Giant Bomb guys are into it, but my friends almost universally prefer Drawful. It depends whether your friends want to play "goofy t-shirt art class" or "weird pictionary".

Also worth noting that you can buy Drawful 2 as a standalone thing, and it's a blast:

http://jackboxgames.com/project/drawful2/

But yes, to play all of the games, you have to possibly buy all 3 packs and load in and out of them depending on which games you feel like playing. Kinda too bad that it's not one unified platform.

For myself, I skipped Pack 2. The two standouts of Pack 2 are Fibbage 2 and Quiplash XL. If you want Fibbage the first pack has it and Drawful, which is a killer combo. If you want Quiplash, the third pack has it and better games overall. Definitely don't buy Pack 2.

So make a choice between Pack 1 and Pack 3. And honestly consider just buying Drawful 2 as a standalone; it's really quite good.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I looked, and it's real weird you can't buy the Trilogy on PSN. I did on XONE, and that shit is great. Drawful 2 is separate, to let you know. It's weird that they made it seperate, also.

They're all pretty good, though.

Jackbox 4 is later this year, and I can't wait.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hayt

Thanks for the suggestions! I found the trilogy on PSN but its 90 aud (68.55 USD) which doesnt seem like that good a deal. Leaning towards pack 3 so far though.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Pack 1 is much favourite

Drawful and Fibbage are fantastic

You Don't Know Jack is also great, but I agree with the post above that the latency can kill this somewhat.

The other games in this particular pack aren't even worth looking at, but those 3 mentioned are still stand outs

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My recommendation is for Party Pack 1. I own it and PP3.

Drawful and Fibbage are the best two games they've made and they're both in PP1. YDKJ is also good fun and I can't say I've ever noticed a latency issue.

Drawful is a better game than TKO. TKO has a number of problems that I think people tend to overlook. First - not every drawing will actually get shown, the shitty drawings are half the fun. Second - sometimes you get a tshirt that just ruins all the others and will always win. In Drawful, everyone gets to interact with everything. Every picture is shown, everyone gets to title it, everyone gets to vote. It's just a better time all around.

In addition, PP1 doesn't have any "streamer stuff". Quiplash is great fun but it's designed to be played with audience sway. You're meant to stream it out to 1000 people who will play along with you. I'm guessing you don't have a Twitch audience to play along with you. Quiplash doesn't really work unless there's more than six people playing and is downright terrible with just four people playing because if you just have four people, there's only ever two people voting at a time.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BisonHero

@jesus_phish: Yeah, I agree that Fibbage is a much better game with lower player numbers than Quiplash, but I don't think a Twitch audience is *required* for Quiplash to be enjoyable. You just need 5+ players or else the scoring is a lot of boring ties.

I agree with your criticisms of TKO. It's not as bad as Bidiots, but it feels absurdly long and I don't think the payoff and act of playing TKO are as good as Drawful.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bisonhero: Yeah, maybe I wasn't clear. You don't have to have a Twitch audience for Quiplash, but you absolutely need 5+ players. Ideally you want 8. A lot of the time when we have people over, we might have between 4 and 6, so games like Fibbage and Drawful just work much better with those numbers.

I do wish that they'd just sell a core game - called Jackbox - and then sell everything else as a module/dlc for it. I don't need two version of Quiplash or Drawful or to have three different launchers.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@jesus_phish: I suspect they'll never do it because if you could buy the games individually instead of as a pack, word of mouth would quickly establish which games are any good and the other ones wouldn't sell and the devs would make like 40% as much revenue since they can't charge you for the games you don't want to play.

I honestly think it was a crazy business gamble to release Drawful 2 as a standalone instead of roping it into a bundle. If they had put Drawful 2 into Party Pack 2, maybe that would've been enough for me to buy it instead of feeling like it was an easy skip. Maybe they just felt they couldn't put Bidiots and Drawful 2 in the same pack, but I'm kinda amazed they even shipped Bidiots when it could've just been Drawful 2 in Party Pack 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.