Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 08, 2011

Jamestown: Legend Of The Lost Colony is a neo-classical top-down shooter for up to 4 players, set on 17th-century British Colonial Mars.

I shouldn't like bullet hell shooters this much...

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Good evening, giant bomb, I would like to speak to you this evening about Jamestown. Jamestown is a two dimensional, vertically scrolling, shmup. It's also one of my favorite games of last year. However, I'm not one that usually enjoys games with punishing difficulty, something that Jamestown has in spades. So what drew me to this indie game from June of last year? Yes the price point in the humble indie bundle (cheap as free) certainly did help, in fact it was only it's inclusion in the 4th humble indie bundle that got me to play it all. I was unimpressed with the quick look, thought it was incredibly stupid, not worth my time. Eventually, I came around to playing it because of it's short run-time. I still haven't finished the game and I'm having a blast with it. Here's why.

Jamestown is brutal and unforgiving in it's difficulty. The game can only be finished on the third difficulty level. Jamestown is a game that was not designed like most games today that have a follow icon over their NPC tour guide.

And to our left you will shoot some more dudes.

It's games like Jamestown that set games about tourism, into games about true exploration. While Jamestown is a linear game in the truest sense of the word, indeed, it's more a shooting gallery than any Call of Duty game is. However, it's combat and challenge provide different depths of exploration that are far greater than any of Call of Duty game's combat could ever be. That's where Jamestown shines, it's a game about challenging the player and giving a sense of accomplishment with every try at that last level. It reminds me, in a way, of Guitar Hero. I can remember trying so many times to beat Bark at the Moon on Medium difficulty, and finally doing it was exciting. The same feeling, I'm sure, will finally come when I conquer the Conquistador. That's why I press on playing this game that I'm not really progressing in. It's fun, and it challenges me in ways I haven't been challenged before. I think that's what all games should strive to be first and foremost. Too often the experience side of 'experience-wrapped-in-a-challenge" get's top billing. Sure this means that you're able to play more games, but the games that you do play start to feel shallower and shallower after awhile. Jamestown is a game I will remember for the time I spent fighting with it, and for me that's not a bad thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good evening, giant bomb, I would like to speak to you this evening about Jamestown. Jamestown is a two dimensional, vertically scrolling, shmup. It's also one of my favorite games of last year. However, I'm not one that usually enjoys games with punishing difficulty, something that Jamestown has in spades. So what drew me to this indie game from June of last year? Yes the price point in the humble indie bundle (cheap as free) certainly did help, in fact it was only it's inclusion in the 4th humble indie bundle that got me to play it all. I was unimpressed with the quick look, thought it was incredibly stupid, not worth my time. Eventually, I came around to playing it because of it's short run-time. I still haven't finished the game and I'm having a blast with it. Here's why.

Jamestown is brutal and unforgiving in it's difficulty. The game can only be finished on the third difficulty level. Jamestown is a game that was not designed like most games today that have a follow icon over their NPC tour guide.

It's games like Jamestown that set games about tourism, into games about true exploration. While Jamestown is a linear game in the truest sense of the word, indeed, it's more a shooting gallery than any Call of Duty game is. However, it's combat and challenge provide different depths of exploration that are far greater than any of Call of Duty game's combat could ever be. That's where Jamestown shines, it's a game about challenging the player and giving a sense of accomplishment with every try at that last level. It reminds me, in a way, of Guitar Hero. I can remember trying so many times to beat Bark at the Moon on Medium difficulty, and finally doing it was exciting. The same feeling, I'm sure, will finally come when I conquer the Conquistador. That's why I press on playing this game that I'm not really progressing in. It's fun, and it challenges me in ways I haven't been challenged before. I think that's what all games should strive to be first and foremost. Too often the experience side of 'experience-wrapped-in-a-challenge" get's top billing. Sure this means that you're able to play more games, but the games that you do play start to feel shallower and shallower after awhile. Jamestown is a game I will remember for the time I spent fighting with it, and for me that's not a bad thing.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By EarlessShrimp

That's really true, I found feeling a similar excitement/accomplishment completing that game, and with a variety of ships it's fun to try to master them all. Plus they've got all those challenges that I find truly punishing. When this game came out I spotted it and had to get it right away. May I ask a random question: what style did you use for control? Mouse, Keyboard or Controller? In my experience, I found that controller was the best, I thought it made the game and the overwhelming number of bullets a little easier to deal with and maneuver through.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By moncole

I really like the game, I like the challenging difficulty that you don't get that much these days. I also love the soundtrack to it

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@Moncole: and that story!! It was totally out of left field but it was actually well done, not something you'd expect from a top down shooter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Moncole: The soundtrack is boss, but it gets cut off by the meh boss music when you get to a boss.

@EarlessShrimp: I've been using a controller.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

If you're this impressed with Jamestown, you really need to try some Cave shoot 'em ups.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By ESREVER

I don't know what I loved more in Jamestown, the epic soundtrack or the beautiful art style. That game is really fantastic, albeit short, still worth a purchase. I regret not having played it sooner. I picked it up when it came out on steam, but never got around to it until a couple weeks ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.