Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

John Carmack

Person » credited in 51 games

Co-founder of id Software, Carmack is a technical innovator in the video game industry. He is best known for his work in the Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake franchises. He officially resigned from id in November 2013 to join Oculus VR.

Twitter Account: True or Fake?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack

Is this John Carmack true account? Or is it a fake one? I mean, the tweets are exactly the kinds of things that I assume John spends his day thinking about, but would he tweet it? It's almost too perfect to be a real account.

Here are some of the latest entries:

• It's a good day when you can remove an epsilon from an algorithm!
    • I can’t think of any valid reason to have a SW thread locked to a particular HW thread, as opposed to a particular HW core. Anyone?
    • A multi-source ultrasonic Doppler sensor seems like a good idea, the positional equivalent of rate gyros. One integration is ok, two isn’t.
    • I was always disappointed when I tried to use temporal jittering to address sampling problems at 60 hz, but I need to try again at 120 hz.

It's too good.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cmblasko

Lots of game industry and journalism people following and interacting with that account, so it seems legit. He posted a picture of the hardware he is referencing in the 60 hz vs 120 hz tweet a week or so ago, so if it is fake they would be putting a lot of effort into it.

And I totally agree with him on that first tweet, removing epsilons does feel damn good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Panpipe

Yeah it's legit. I love not understanding a single thing he says.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Patman99

Yeah, as others have said that is his real twitter account. Cant say that the guy does not absolutely love what he is doing.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's real. And it's awesome. I don't understand 90% of what he says, but it's brilliant. I mean, just take this one recent tweet as an example "It's a good day when you can remove an epsilon from an algorithm!" I don't have a clue what that means, but it's clearly awesome.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

I can at least somewhat decipher all of that, but temporal jitters sounds like the plot to yet another Star Trek episode involving the bending of the space-time continuum.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It's him. I know it's real because SpeedTree follows him, and SpeedTree doesn't mess around!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet

I'm so happy that the account is his real account. Man, what a great twitter account.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.