Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Journey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

Journey is thatgamecompany's third release for Sony. Roam the lands discovering the history of an ancient civilization on a trek toward a distant mountain. Go at it alone or explore with strangers online.

How Journey helped a 15 year old cope with losing her dad.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

Figured with how Journey Won a majority of the dice awards that id post this.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/7/3965342/journey-and-the-search-for-emotional-gaming

ive tried looking to see if theres video of jenova's talk, but there seems to be none available. probably would be up later, if it is ill edit the post and post the video.

interesting read, he essentially talks about how his games came to be, and what he finds tiring in games today (dont worry he does actually get what he means across MUCH MUCH better than that asshole david cage) and how having a fan write a letter expressing how it helped her cope with losing her dad makes this all worth it in the end

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By largo6661

Cool post and also why does any one care about David Cage's opinion on this topic? Fahrenheit and heavy Rain fell drastically short of presenting actual believable humans with real emotions.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PandaBear

@Largo6661 said:

Cool post and also why does any one care about David Cage's opinion on this topic? Fahrenheit and heavy Rain fell drastically short of presenting actual believable humans with real emotions.

This. I couldn't be bothered to finish Fahrenheit after the magic shit started up, and I watched my housemate play Heavy Rain ... jeezus, what a chore. He gets way to much credit for make nice looking characters interacting with each other like robots in fairly bland and forgettable worlds. When his next game turns out to be just okay (while the over-hyped games press jerk each other off about "it's emotional core!!!") I'm going to give up on him completely.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zero_

Jenova is a much needed person in this industry, Journey was a great game.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrfluke

@Zero_ said:

Jenova is a much needed person in this industry, Journey was a great game.

yep. i can totally see jenvoa winning a hall of fame award down the line.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By egg

lucky girl

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrfluke

updated with video

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McGhee

Actually, Fallout 3 really resonated with me for that same reason. My dad died the year before it came out. A lot of people hated the main story, "just finding Daddy." But for me it really struck a chord.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sooty

I can't comprehend this, the game had nice music and had some fun sand sliding but that's about it. I can't begin to see where people are getting emotional investment from.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrfluke

@Sooty said:

I can't comprehend this, the game had nice music and had some fun sand sliding but that's about it. I can't begin to see where people are getting emotional investment from.

it pretty much appealed to the crowd that wanted something drastically different from anything out there, and had one of those "higher meanings" to everything that you did in the game and whatnot

im with ya in that i didnt get the emotional impact of the game as others did, but its definitely one of the best games of last year though

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

@mrfluke said:

@Sooty said:

it pretty much appealed to the crowd that wanted something drastically different from anything out there, and had one of those "higher meanings" to everything that you did in the game and whatnot

im with ya in that i didnt get the emotional impact of the game as others did, but its definitely one of the best games of last year though

it's different but there's tons of different games that came out last year, I won't argue it was one of the most elegantly produced but meh, I just don't see the fuss. I played and enjoyed it but I really do not get why people go on about it so much.

I think a lot of people are just seeing a higher meaning because the game has no plot, so they create their own ideas of what the game is about. I'd rather have had some sort of concrete background information about the world myself, it's not to say I have no imagination, just nothing about that world made me want to question why or what was really going on.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@Sooty said:

@mrfluke said:

@Sooty said:

it's different but there's tons of different games that came out last year, I won't argue it was one of the most elegantly produced but meh, I just don't see the fuss. I played and enjoyed it but I really do not get why people go on about it so much.

I think a lot of people are just seeing a higher meaning because the game has no plot, so they create their own ideas of what the game is about. I'd rather have had some sort of concrete background information about the world myself, it's not to say I have no imagination, just nothing about that world made me want to question why or what was really going on.

For me, it was just a sense of wonder that the game brought. Not wonder as in "wanting to know everything about the world", but wonder as in just enjoying the beauty of it all. It didn't make me get all emotional, but it did make me feel pretty warm and fuzzy inside, especially during that last bit where you're pretty much just flying up to the clouds. Most popular games these days don't even attempt to do anything like that. I think that you could put a bunch of higher meaning into if you want to (it's a metaphor for life, dude!), but that's not what I was there for.

And it did it all without a single bloody word, except for "walk" and "jump" as far as I remember.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrfluke

@Sooty said:

@mrfluke said:

@Sooty said:

its how minimalist the game is that i think made a lot of people fall in love with it cause it just kind starts and goes.......lol

this guy essentially below about it the best. @believer258 said:

@Sooty said:

@mrfluke said:

@Sooty said:

For me, it was just a sense of wonder that the game brought. Not wonder as in "wanting to know everything about the world", but wonder as in just enjoying the beauty of it all. It didn't make me get all emotional, but it did make me feel pretty warm and fuzzy inside, especially during that last bit where you're pretty much just flying up to the clouds. Most popular games these days don't even attempt to do anything like that. I think that you could put a bunch of higher meaning into if you want to (it's a metaphor for life, dude!), but that's not what I was there for.

And it did it all without a single bloody word, except for "walk" and "jump" as far as I remember.

the big metaphor i got out of it was essentially "enjoy living in the moment, life is too short"

something along the lines of this story

http://www.huomah.com/Personal/Family-Life/the-Tiger-and-the-Strawberry.html

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.