Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

Sprint button?! We don't need no stinking sprint button!

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Trilogy

Let me preface this post with the fact that I'm absolutely in love with Just Cause 2. I'm a huge fan of open world/ sandbox games so this one is right up my alley. However, the game is far from perfect. The story and voice acting are probably some of the worst I've ever seen/heard but it doesn't matter because it takes back seat to the glorious gameplay. It's also not the point of my post. Also note before reading that I'm playing Just Cause 2 on the 360 and if you're playing on the PC, this won't really mean anything to you.

There is one oddity that I just can't seem to get over. Call it nitpicking if you will but the inclusion of a sprint button in this game is absurd. At first I thought it was downright hilarious. When you really stop to think about it, why would you ever sprint in this game when you can simply grapple to exactly where you want to go 100 times faster? Now you may be wondering why this is even a problem. I could just as easily ignore the sprint button and continue playing as if it never existed but that isn't the case. 

Here's the point:  Instead of sprint, grenades should of been mapped to the RB button. The game has grenades mapped to the Left trigger which is also secondary fire while dual wielding. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally thrown a grenade when I wanted to shoot my left hand gun instead. Wouldn't it be easier if there was no need to hold the left directional pad to enter dual wield mode and I could just pull the left trigger when I wanted to use my left hand weapon freeing up RB for grenades? It almost makes me wish I was playing on the PC so I could just map the buttons anywhere I wanted. I tried messing with the control options but didn't see anything to remedy my problem. All in all, this is a minor problem in what is still an awesome game. I mostly just wanted to get this off my chest.

My question to you is, do control oddities like this bother you in games? To me, it seems like an oversight that could of been corrected with better testing perhaps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d59d1a719efd
    deactivated-5d59d1a719efd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've had similar problems in games like that, but for me it's more unlearning the control format of another game that I recently played, then having trouble with the current one.

DarkPredatorUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DarkPredatorUK

Very true, I would much rather have a dedicated grenade button.
    Nothing like seeing a group of guy ripe for a blasting but you have to put away one of your guns, by which time all the bad guys have dispersed...

Sprint could of easily been a case of clicking in an analogue stick like 99% of games these days, however I'm still loving JC2 despite these niggles.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By unclejohnny79

i kinda like sprinting away from explosions and stuff

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Capum15

I like the sprint button because it allows me to put away my guns instead of holding them the entire time. Good for when you just wanna hang around Panau.

Not saying a dedicated grenade button would be bad or anything, I wouldn't mind it.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By DCFGS3

The controls are throwing me a bit, IMO they should be; Shoot - R1/RB, Grappling hook/secondary gun fire - L1/LB, Grenades - R2/RT, remote mines - L2/LT

The reason secondary gun shoot is mapped to the same as grappling hook is because when you grapple, you grab the rope with your left hand, and so cannot shoot with hit. If you have a two guns out, you have to put the second away before you can grapple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d59d1a719efd
    deactivated-5d59d1a719efd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like it, it helps when base jumping off mountains and cliffs.

JohnnyMcmillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JohnnyMcmillen
    @DCFGS3 said:
    " The controls are throwing me a bit, IMO they should be; Shoot - R1/RB, Grappling hook/secondary gun fire - L1/LB, Grenades - R2/RT, remote mines - L2/LT  The reason secondary gun shoot is mapped to the same as grappling hook is because when you grapple, you grab the rope with your left hand, and so cannot shoot with hit. If you have a two guns out, you have to put the second away before you can grapple. "
    I'd have it the other way round, triggers for guns/hooks and buttons for equipment, makes more sense.
    FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FalconCritical

I use sprint sparingly, but I don't think that its a problem having it - on PC its mapped to shift which is often used for sprint anyway.  On the grenade note - when I first dual wielded guns it bugged me that LMB was the right hand gun, and RMB the left, so I switched the mapping but then when you're not dual wielding its only RMB for shooting, which annoyed me also.  Went back to basic controls and I generally only run around with a single gun out, I like throwing grenades and I've found that dual wielding is just wasteful, especially when I can fine aim (C button) and OHKO elites with a headshot from the basic pistol.

So yeah, the swapped hands for dual wielding does bug me, but there's no need now - I can just fine aim all the way. By the way, not sure if this works on consoles, but when you're in fine aim if you move diagonally you can still run.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

I use the button to roll away from danger mostly.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @natetodamax said:
    " I use the button to roll away from danger mostly. "
    I use the button too more for rolling than sprinting.  But I also use it for sprinting in some occasions when getting away from gunfire coz sometimes I have bad aim when using the grapple. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.