Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 01, 2015

Battle a dictator's forces in a fictional Mediterranean archipelago in this follow-up to the popular series from Avalanche Studios and Square-Enix.

PC performance thread, anyone have any numbers yet?

• 69 results
    Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

im running with a gtx 980 and it seems to be running pretty smooth on max settings

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

the frame rate makes it unplayable for me, and I have a pretty good rig

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@1momosauky: What's pretty good? It would help others if you listed at least your CPU, GPU, and RAM.

prezabelincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTX680, 16 gigs of ram, and an intel 2600k... runs like dirt. Im getting 50 on medium which will constantly drop down into the 20s.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jsnyder82

So, does this not have SLI support? Because I have to imagine two 780ti's should be able to run this game much better than it currently is. Even on medium settings, I get around 30 fps, occasionally more. Sometimes there's just random slowdown and typically when explosions are nowhere to be found. Which is odd. And it's not a terrible looking game by any means, but it's nothing so special that I understand why it's slowing down so much.

Which is a shame, because Mad Max runs buttery smooth on my PC. This is Avalanche's bread and butter, you would they would have spent more time optimizing this one rather than that one.

I've got an i7 3770, 16gb RAM, and dual 780ti's.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm having some texture issues on an AMD R9 270 card, hopefully a patch or driver update will sort this out :/

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

How did you get a hold of a new Tron game?!?!

green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm running it on: i5-4690, R9 280X, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8.1. I'm using the Crimson Edition 15.11.1 beta driver. The outbound connection is blocked and the game is installed on an SSD. I've played it for about two hours.

At 1080p, I'm getting anywhere between 32-60 fps. Bumping down graphical settings raises the average fps slightly, but the frame rate is so erratic that it doesn't really matter. Any time things get crazy on screen, the frame rate takes a huge dive into the low thirties.

I experienced some flickering, but only when I had the settings all the way up. I haven't experienced any issues with load times, crashes, or hitching (but keep in mind I've only put in around two hours).

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Core i7 920 @ 4.0, GTX 980. 12GB RAM, Windows 10. Everything at max except shadows (high), LOD (high), water (high), and bokeh DOF (off). Everything I turned down was a result of reading the nvidia guide. Most of that stuff (except shadows maybe) has an imperceptible effect on image quality.

Game runs great. I get an average of 70-80 fps most of the time, dips into the 40's and 50's when LOTS of shit is blowing up. I remember reading that the game benefits quite a bit from an overclocked CPU (physics calcs when shit is blowing up) and that there are some explosions later in the game that are way more crippling to the framerate than anything you will see at the beginning. Also, global illumination is very expensive and the game really doesn't look that much different with it turned off. I kept it on because the game runs fine for me, but I would turn that off if you are struggling to get playable frame rates.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i7 4790k, AMD R9 Fury (w/ Fury X shaders unlocked) 16 GB DDR3 1600, Windows 10. Everything Max except AA (SMAA), Shadows (High), Motion Blur (off, personal preference), and Bokeh DOF (off, read that it might not do anything ATM). Game runs 60-70 FPS most of the time @1440p, but dips into the 40s and 50s when there's a lot of stuff blowing up. I ran the 15.11.1 beta drivers from the beginning, so I haven't had any texture problems or anything like that. It's not the most solid game, I've run into a couple of weird hitches and framerate drops (most severely in a pre-rendered cutscene oddly enough) and a couple of crashes, but things have been pretty good overall.

mrasshat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edudewired said:

I'm having some texture issues on an AMD R9 270 card, hopefully a patch or driver update will sort this out :/

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

How did you get a hold of a new Tron game?!?!

I have the same glitch on my radeon 260x, as crummy as it is that the game doesn't work properly, it does look pretty rad and i spent about one hour playing the abstract acid trip version of just cause 3. ;)

mixmixmixmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz with 16Gb ram and a GTX 970. I tweaked according to nvidia guide and dropped a few settings where it made little difference, pulling around 80-90fps. seems steady but I'm not too far in.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

9370 4.42GHz, 16GB Ram, R9 290x.

I had the Tron glitches, updated to the beta drivers.

Had some stutter, ran the game as admin.

Since then it's been performing great. No noticeable framerate drops or anything. Give those two steps a go if you're having similar issues.

dymach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to pull this thread's foot from the grave, but has anyone experienced any significant performance drops since the last Win 10 update?

My processor is garbage (FX-4100 @3.6) but with my 970 I was getting between 40 - 60 fps at 1080 most of the time. Since the last Windows update it's all over the place, running between 15 and 25 and dipping to 4 or 5 fps just using the wing suit. I've stopped playing the game as a result.

Any ideas what might have caused this? The only other change was to start using the Xbox One wireless dongle, but I hooked everything up wired again and it wasn't any better.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to dig up this thread from it's grave as well, just so I can confirm that it still ran exactly the same for me as it did originally, when I last tried it a week or two ago. You'd think that one of those +5gb sized patches the game kept downloading would've made a difference for me as well, but apparently not. Haven't tried it on Windows 10 now, but I'm not sure if I want to, given how much of bummer the constantly stuttering performance ended out being for me. Damn shame, since I really enjoyed causing destruction when the game decided it would run smoothly for a moment or two.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By Shivoa

Another mini-resurrection of this thread. Because future patches are going to get weird for this game (unless they just screw over every user who currently owns this and releases a new "version" with the performance patch).

Microsoft's recent "Hey, you can buy games in our terrible store; we'll even port our console titles to this platform we own that has several times more gamers on it than our current console does" event also had a sizzle for DirectX 12 on Windows:

Loading Video...

Just Cause 3 is getting a DX12 patch, which will make that version Windows 10 only - that'll be fun on Steam where the version sold currently clearly advertises itself as supporting any PC as long as you're running the x64 variant, all the way back to Vista SP2. We kinda already knew this was being investigated because they're doing a GDC talk about optimising for Intel and using DX12 features with this engine. But the sizzle reel makes it look like this is not just ongoing engine work but aiming for a public patch (much in the same way Rise of the Tome Raider is now also being patched with DX12 coming soon - again, their Steam page says "Windows 7 64bit" but unlike JC3 they do actually recommend Windows 10 and so DX12 support).

Anyway, if people are wondering why they haven't finished patching perf issues: they're porting the engine to a new API (DX12 - this is really not like DX11 and you have to do all the asset management yourself so maybe this will fix JC3 because the current DX11 engine really looks like it fails at that due to some bug or something, at least on my machine when it was really broken on Windows 7 you could clearly see it flush the entire VRAM pool and stall the GPU doing it).

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: They wont remove the DX 11 support will they? Also that game runs so pathetic they really should get back to the basics and making a solid port before implenting DX12, that would only benefit existing players however and wont get them the hot DX12 pr the marketing team is after.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rethla: My fear is more that they're leaving the DX11 versions to be broken and not updated (beyond the very minimum required like releasing the paid DLC that people have already signed up for). So no, I don't think they'll actually remove the DX11 version, but I suspect your fears are correct about what this could mean for the further enhancement of the current version we've all been stuck with for months (and anyone who doesn't have Windows 10 will be stuck with forever).

There are something like 100 million active Steam users who don't have Windows 10 and 55 million that do. Even if the people who purchased JC3 tend to be more likely to have the latest OS, that's a lot of people who would be stuck on what would be an outdated version if they just give up on patching the DX11 branch and only focus on a new DX12 branch for ongoing fixes (or claim the bugs and performance issues of the DX11 branch are inherent to the design and so not fixable).

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: I fully expect the DX12 version to be just as bad or maybe even worse so noone is winning here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.