Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Katamari Forever

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Katamari Forever is the first game in the quirky Katamari Damacy series for the PS3. It's a combination of old and new levels in high definition with all-new music.

Rolling up a thousand issues.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Edited By GunstarRed

I never thought I would say this but  Katamari Forever is too damn hard.   

I have played We <3 katamari and Beautiful Katamari  for more hours than I would like to mention, I have  gotten all presents and cousins, eternal'd all levels in the past games... I even got those MILLION ROSES! so I'm not some novice Katamari roller or anything 
    What makes the new game so hard is some unfair time limits, bad item placement and new levels that demand use of the new jump feature. 
    Now the final level where you eventually roll up all of your planets is identical to  the final stage in Beautiful Katamari (Schloss cosmos) IDENTICAL, every building, person, box, animal, present, cousin, seamonster is placed  in exactly the same place. In BK they give you 17 , SEVENTEEN minutes to complete this level and that feel about right, its quite challenging to know the order to get some of the stuff in, but removing SIX of those minutes it  demands almost perfection from you, 11 minutes is barely enough time to get the 10,000,000 size limit  let alone scouting the area for cousins and presents. Now I get that its  the same levels and they kind of expect you to know them off by heart by now but time limits like this are ridiculous and almost suck any fun out of playing the game, challenging is one thing but in a game where it's so easy to get stuck on the scenery or glitch into buildings it seems like someone on the staff is taking the piss. 
    The time limit thing happens on about four or five of the levels, but  its much worse then a level starts you off always in a position where you have to waste a minute before you can find any items to collect, Item distrubution is completely bizarre on one of the new levels it took me over 20 attempts to finish the level and I only finished it due to some weird escalation of my katamari within the last 30 seconds  its not as bad as the overly strict time limits on certain levels or even the jump.... 

The jump, It kind of removes some of the puzzley nature from katamari  where in past games if you saw something up high you'd have to find the exact way around the room to get up to it but in KF you get a jump and it is innacurate, horrible to use and often the cause of level failure. there are two new levels in the game One where you use water to grow plants in a desert and another where you roll up the Robo king of the cosmos both require you to jump  around a lot but jumping forwards is an absolute pain . I dont think I have ever sworn so much at a game because everytime I hopped  up I would bounce off of the scenery and have to try, try, try again. This wouldn't be so bad if it didnt halt all momentum of your Katamari often losing you up to five seconds.... 

five seconds is a lifetime in Katamari! 

finally the desaturation of certain levels make them unbearably hard, some levels are in Black and white to begin with and there are two levels from the past games that are almost broken due to this.One where you have to make a bear-cow planet where you have to roll up the biggest bear or cow item you can find. You can only do this by getting big enough using other objects whilst avoiding a barrage of cow and bear objects... hit one object that is a bear or a cow and the level ends. 
    With colour the level seems fine because you know to avoid the browns and the blacks and the whites but when everything is either black or white the level becomes completely frustrating because you didn't see a mini figurine of a bear that was 5 millimetres big on the screen. another level that does this is one where you have to keep the Katamari alight and avoid cold objects... easily the hardest level in any Katamari game already due to the volume of water and cold objects...remove all the colour and its a fucking nightmare. 

I never thought I would be ranting about a game I actually love...or past iterations of, The new game does a pretty good job of giving you lots of levels and plenty of variants of them but the core KF levels are hard for the sake of them being hard and it makes Katmari really frustrating..The franchise has enough flaws that most overlook due to the humour and style. I would never complain about a lack of new objects or cousins (theres only four new ones) or the same old presents. And I am pretty accepting of the recycled levels due to the consistently funny writing  and overall charm of the series but the issues i have come across have made me swear and get frustrated over more than I would really like when it comes to a game of this kind.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By GunstarRed

I never thought I would say this but  Katamari Forever is too damn hard.   

I have played We <3 katamari and Beautiful Katamari  for more hours than I would like to mention, I have  gotten all presents and cousins, eternal'd all levels in the past games... I even got those MILLION ROSES! so I'm not some novice Katamari roller or anything 
    What makes the new game so hard is some unfair time limits, bad item placement and new levels that demand use of the new jump feature. 
    Now the final level where you eventually roll up all of your planets is identical to  the final stage in Beautiful Katamari (Schloss cosmos) IDENTICAL, every building, person, box, animal, present, cousin, seamonster is placed  in exactly the same place. In BK they give you 17 , SEVENTEEN minutes to complete this level and that feel about right, its quite challenging to know the order to get some of the stuff in, but removing SIX of those minutes it  demands almost perfection from you, 11 minutes is barely enough time to get the 10,000,000 size limit  let alone scouting the area for cousins and presents. Now I get that its  the same levels and they kind of expect you to know them off by heart by now but time limits like this are ridiculous and almost suck any fun out of playing the game, challenging is one thing but in a game where it's so easy to get stuck on the scenery or glitch into buildings it seems like someone on the staff is taking the piss. 
    The time limit thing happens on about four or five of the levels, but  its much worse then a level starts you off always in a position where you have to waste a minute before you can find any items to collect, Item distrubution is completely bizarre on one of the new levels it took me over 20 attempts to finish the level and I only finished it due to some weird escalation of my katamari within the last 30 seconds  its not as bad as the overly strict time limits on certain levels or even the jump.... 

The jump, It kind of removes some of the puzzley nature from katamari  where in past games if you saw something up high you'd have to find the exact way around the room to get up to it but in KF you get a jump and it is innacurate, horrible to use and often the cause of level failure. there are two new levels in the game One where you use water to grow plants in a desert and another where you roll up the Robo king of the cosmos both require you to jump  around a lot but jumping forwards is an absolute pain . I dont think I have ever sworn so much at a game because everytime I hopped  up I would bounce off of the scenery and have to try, try, try again. This wouldn't be so bad if it didnt halt all momentum of your Katamari often losing you up to five seconds.... 

five seconds is a lifetime in Katamari! 

finally the desaturation of certain levels make them unbearably hard, some levels are in Black and white to begin with and there are two levels from the past games that are almost broken due to this.One where you have to make a bear-cow planet where you have to roll up the biggest bear or cow item you can find. You can only do this by getting big enough using other objects whilst avoiding a barrage of cow and bear objects... hit one object that is a bear or a cow and the level ends. 
    With colour the level seems fine because you know to avoid the browns and the blacks and the whites but when everything is either black or white the level becomes completely frustrating because you didn't see a mini figurine of a bear that was 5 millimetres big on the screen. another level that does this is one where you have to keep the Katamari alight and avoid cold objects... easily the hardest level in any Katamari game already due to the volume of water and cold objects...remove all the colour and its a fucking nightmare. 

I never thought I would be ranting about a game I actually love...or past iterations of, The new game does a pretty good job of giving you lots of levels and plenty of variants of them but the core KF levels are hard for the sake of them being hard and it makes Katmari really frustrating..The franchise has enough flaws that most overlook due to the humour and style. I would never complain about a lack of new objects or cousins (theres only four new ones) or the same old presents. And I am pretty accepting of the recycled levels due to the consistently funny writing  and overall charm of the series but the issues i have come across have made me swear and get frustrated over more than I would really like when it comes to a game of this kind.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Symphony

You actually got the million roses? Holy crap @.@ That's commitment, right there!

And oddly I would hafta say the opposite in regards to the bear/cow level and the hot/cold one.. I found the bear/cow one to be the most frustrating Katamari level in the past and the hot/cold one difficult but manegable... but I can definitely see both being insane if you take away color... (haven't played KF yet)

I wonder why they decided to take 6 minutes away from the final level.. it definitely felt "right" as it already was.

That's too bad about the jump mechanic being so crappy =/ Oh well, guess I'll be passing on this title when I get my PS3 slim. I guess the only question I have that remains is did the do the sleazy thing they did with Beautiful Katamari -- are there levels on the disc you have to pay to unlock?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

I didn't even use the rubber band trick....  The worst thing is my younger sister stole my memory card with that save on it!!!!!  

I'm pretty devoted to the Katamari.... see the bulk of cousins listen on Giant bomb..with pictures.... Moi...that took about as much effort ha ha.

yeah after  playing through the hot/cold level again I realize that I may have been wrong.. I can do it consistently now, but it seems to be one of the few levels that you cannot get eternal on now, so getting the present on it is becoming an absolute pain. 
    Some of the new levels have these hearts thats suck up everything around you, Either one big suck or  a timed one... on the hot/cold level there is two of them and one of them is on the bridge in the outside part of the level... hitting it is like an instant fail. 

I just find bear/cow quite easy when it's not in B/w there seems a definite path to go i can consistently get 100 points on it. 

I'm assuming they thought the powerups were good compensation for the lack of time limit, when you unlock classic mode on all  levels (theres 3 modes to unlock on most levels drive,classic & eternal) they give you a few extra minutes , and in some cases it makes the levels easier, I just find the powerup hearts to not benefit you as much as the developers thought they do. 

I dont know about new levels, I hope not...all of those new DL levels from BK are not there..... so maybe...possibly....yup, I bought them before....what an idiot 
    I feel really conflicted about the game, its Katamari.... but none of the new levels are anything to shout about, theyre all very tiny arena based levels. It seems like a mixture of We <3 and Beautiful Katamari... theres some great music in there too.. a lot or remixes, two versions of everlasting love...one of which makes me want to cry.I don't know who leah dizon is but she can fuck off! 
     I kind of wish they stopped at the second game. this one is funny and all.... 

It does have a Se7en Reference though when you pick up Nai-Nai
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Symphony
    @marioncobretti: ahh, thanks for all the info. Definitely going to be one I'll pass on by the sounds of it. Here's hoping the next one is all new material!
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Phished0ne

I never played any of the other Katamari games, i always wanted to try them, so i borrowed KF from a friend, and so far, i find it extremely frustrating.  I cant really compare it to any of the other games but the time limits really put a cramp on what could be an amazing game. When its good, its amazing, but when you continually need to do a level over and over because it's the level is near impossible (watching my friend do the "Dont hit a bear or cow" level), or  the time limits are too short,  saps all the fun from it really quick.  Any tips for a first time roller? use dash a lot?  Also, i would love to know if there are any tips for distinguishing what you can roll up and what you cant? i understand rolling up things smaller then you, i dont know if its just me, but sometimes its hard  to pick out what is actually smaller then you, or what is the same size as you.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Phished0ne:
     The dash is rarely useful but is helpful on a couple of levels where you need to get across the sea quickly to other islands, other than that dont bother with it, It  has nearly two seconds charge time and can often hinder progress more than help. 

if there is a size barrier on the level and you reach the limit, hang about in that area for a bit longer collecting stuff to make you bigger for the next area. Often items are mostly too big in the next area to begin with so entering the new size limit with a little more bulk to your katamari will often escalate the size of it quicker than just rushing on ahead. 

when jumping, do it a little sooner than you think you should (its horribly, horribly innacurate) and rememer to push both stickforward when doing so, also be ready to pull both sticks in the opposite direction as a brake to stop you from falling off ledges. 

push in both stick to turn around as much as possible instead of rotating around teh katamari...it saves a hell of a lot of time. 

the size of objects sometimes varies and I have found myself getting bounced off of items I am clearly big enough to collect, in the king levels the items that are  in colour are collectible, everything B?W is not...although due to the glitchy nature of the game...sometimes, just sometimes you will pick up items you shouldn't be able to.  chances are your lookign at teh size of the katamari and thinking im double the size of that it will probably be too big aim for things abotu a quarter of the size of it..although thats not very helpful at all as sometimes you can actually pick up things that are about the samesize...sometimes the angle you hit something will help you collect it.

time using the hearts to your advantage... the bigger you are the more efficient they are at sucking up shit.  

make a star 10 and make a star 7 are motherfuckers of levels... no amount of tips can really help you out other than playing over and over to get the exact path pattern down.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I didn't like this game at all. It's way too played out at this point.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Phished0ne
    @marioncobretti:  yeahhhh make a star 10.....i have been playing that level for about 2 days now....
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Phished0ne:
     i suggest getting ALL the vegetables in the area at the beginning then going around by the fisherman collecting the buckets and then up to where the cousin (Kyun) is and get all the green round things. 

Then go and get all the plants near the bear and then work your way up the road collecting as much as you can around the roadside whilst avoiding the annoying cars and elephants. 

once youre big enough only get the smaller buildings in each city whilst dashing (this is the level where it is useful) between islands...and then once youre pretty big go back for the bigger buildings you missed.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By CharleyTony

I agree that this is a really hard Katamari game. There is one thing thats I would like to add. If you play this game coming directly from Beautiful Katamari, it looks like a huge upgrade in difficulty, but probably because of how Beatiful Katamari was structured.  
    The Xbox 360 game, aside from very few different levels, mostly the DLC ones, is mainly built out of only 3 to 5 levels, which are recycled very often. You might play in the house, then play in the city then in the bigger part of the world and then the longer levels seem to be a mix of 2 levels ( ex.: starting small in the house and finishing big in the city). You get to know these levels by heart and that can make it easier.  

When I played Katamari Forever (which I havent completed yet), the range and variety of level is far greater and that makes memorizing paths super hard. This game is now a new release and af time "rolls by" fans will learn these old levels made new again. I played most Katamari games up to now and would have completed most of them is my PS2 wouldn't have been stolen a couple of years ago. I know that the content in this game is heavily recycled but to have all this old content and newer modes and content really make me happy with my purchase. This is truly the Complete Katamari Package. I only hope that from here on, Namco Bandai and it's dev team will now focus on making something new and different into a major retail package. I think that they have reachd the limits of where they can go with this franchise without running it into the ground. 
    I like and played the Xbox 360 version a lot, but Katamari Forever makes it look like Garbage !!!
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunstarRed
    @CharleyTony:
    yeah, I'd like them to keep the design and the cousins atc and just spin it off into it's own thing like Noby Noby boy which shares a lot of Katamariisms but is a completely new game. 
     BK does have some merit though, the online lobby is  silly and fun and I was disappointed there wasn't a little play area in KF even if it wasn't an online lobby it would have been a nice inclusion. I also liked all the little planets you could walk between and the jukebox... just silly things like that.  
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By CharleyTony

BK online mode was horrible ... too much lag, not really a good multiplayer game IMO, they needed to think about this a little more.. 

No online in KF, to me, shows that they know the franchise does not work well online so they didn't even bother... 

On the other hand the KF leaderboards should have taken a hint from the BK "solar system". That was way better than boring menus.
    Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Tornac

I didn't think Katamari Forever was too hard... It was my favorite Katamari game behind Beautiful Katamari, mostly because it was missing the solar system. That was really cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.