Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Closed Killzone 3 Beta Coming Later This Month

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

The Killzone 3 beta is kicking off on October 25. Unfortunately, you'll need a dash of luck and a PlayStation Plus subscription in order to get in on the action. Or an eagle-eye.

Here's the rundown: SCEA and SCEE will be picking a total of 5,000 people from their respective regions for the upcoming test. Participants will be selected from a pool of people who have PS Plus subscriptions and have downloaded an exclusive Killzone 3 XMB theme that will appear on the PSN store at some point on October 19, according to a recent PS blog post. Once you download the theme, check your email on October 25. That's how you'll know if you were lucky enough to get in, provided you aren't sending SCE emails to your Spam folder.  

No Caption Provided

There will be alt opportunities to jump into the beta, of course. In the post's comments thread, it's being said that people who can't jump through these hoops will be able to join in on the fun, too. Though, they'll have to keep their eyes glued to Guerrilla Games' social media channels, which includes its Twitter page, its website, and even the PS blogs.  

In the PS blog post that has released all these details, Killzone community editor Victor Zuylen calls this test an honest one, saying it'll "help test our network code in real-world scenarios." So, in other words, this is a beta-beta. Not a demo-beta.

You might be asking, "Hey, what will I be able to do in this thing if I spend all that time downloading new firmware in order to get into it?" To that, I would answer: I dunno. Details on what exactly is in the beta are being kept close to Guerrilla Games' chest at the moment, but the post does mention that you'll get a shot at using the jetpack, as well as the other vehicles being introduced into the new Killzone.  
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

The Killzone 3 beta is kicking off on October 25. Unfortunately, you'll need a dash of luck and a PlayStation Plus subscription in order to get in on the action. Or an eagle-eye.

Here's the rundown: SCEA and SCEE will be picking a total of 5,000 people from their respective regions for the upcoming test. Participants will be selected from a pool of people who have PS Plus subscriptions and have downloaded an exclusive Killzone 3 XMB theme that will appear on the PSN store at some point on October 19, according to a recent PS blog post. Once you download the theme, check your email on October 25. That's how you'll know if you were lucky enough to get in, provided you aren't sending SCE emails to your Spam folder.  

No Caption Provided

There will be alt opportunities to jump into the beta, of course. In the post's comments thread, it's being said that people who can't jump through these hoops will be able to join in on the fun, too. Though, they'll have to keep their eyes glued to Guerrilla Games' social media channels, which includes its Twitter page, its website, and even the PS blogs.  

In the PS blog post that has released all these details, Killzone community editor Victor Zuylen calls this test an honest one, saying it'll "help test our network code in real-world scenarios." So, in other words, this is a beta-beta. Not a demo-beta.

You might be asking, "Hey, what will I be able to do in this thing if I spend all that time downloading new firmware in order to get into it?" To that, I would answer: I dunno. Details on what exactly is in the beta are being kept close to Guerrilla Games' chest at the moment, but the post does mention that you'll get a shot at using the jetpack, as well as the other vehicles being introduced into the new Killzone.  
    Truitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Truitt

First comment again? My luck is going to run out one of these days. 

Still haven't bought Killzone 2. Maybe I should go boot up KZ1 again too.

snetErz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By snetErz
    @Truitt: If I must I will refresh every second during the day at work. =)
    DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DarkTravesty

so i have to have a sub to + =$50 then pray to god i downloaded some theme in time and maybe... just maybe i'll be in... yeah i'll pass and wait for other free means.

thebisonxrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thebisonxrc

I'd love to check out the Killzone 3 demo, but not at the cost of buying Playstation Plus. If I'm spending my hard-earned cash, I need more incentive.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaneDev

I always had a weird delay with kills when playing Killzone 2 online so I wonder if this will fix it or make it better at least. In my opinion Killzone 2 had some really strange choices in its multi-player design and I wonder if they will keep the TF2 meets COD style of gameplay, I will however probably never play this since I dont  have PS plus and the second game had so many things going against it that I will probably pass on this one.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cooljammer00
    @snetErz said:
    " @Truitt: If I must I will refresh every second during the day at work. =) "
    There will always be someone faster, sadly.
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By HadesTimes

What I think is funny about this is that people are PAYING for Plus and yet they only have a CHANCE to get in.  I have a chance to get in even though I'm not a PLUS member and I'm not even paying anything.  I mean really guys, that's just nasty.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @HadesTimes said:
    " What I think is funny about this is that people are PAYING for Plus and yet they only have a CHANCE to get in.  I have a chance to get in even though I'm not a PLUS member and I'm not even paying anything.  I mean really guys, that's just nasty. "

News flash: Playstation + is a rip off? I'm surprised its been so well received. Things like this are precisely why.

I played this game at PAX. Lets just say if that build is any where near what the beta build will be like, it desperately needs a BETA. Especially for the 3D. The game looks significantly worse in 3D. Lower resolution, some worse textures, and the framerate was far from good. And even with all of those issues, the gameplay was not great. They made cover easier to use in some ways, but it was way to tricky to move while in cover. Sometimes you could, sometimes you couldn't but it wasn't apparent why. It was also a bit of a pain to actually get in and out of cover sometimes, as it just wouldn't let you. meh.
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Oh well, fuck that then.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

I think I'm good. I like me some killzone but not enough to jump through hoops for a beta.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By ethan_raiden

Cannot. Wait.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel

Looks like we've been Killzowned, cause I'm not paying for PS+ to play the beta.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ravensword

Kinda lame. Not the PS Plus only part, but the fact its another Limited one. SONY dosent seem to get it. Lately it seems EU Plus is getting better exclusvies then the America. And I really dont think SONY knows what theya re doing with this Plus thing.
    lawlerballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lawlerballer

more of this poo-stained mediocre shooter, lol no thx

briancujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By briancujo

still have not played 2 

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By aurahack

They wouldn't have enough participants if they pulled from the PSN+ Subscribers pool...

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By THRICE

What is the problem with making these Betas available to all Plus subscribers? You want a membership program with better perks than discounts and as draconian as Microsoft's either give us money or don't do anything approach than let everyone get an early look at the next big thing instead of randomly choosing.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HydraHam

Cool for PSN+ subscribers, personally i haven't subscribed nor will i until they offer something worth subscribing for and sure the "free game" illusion looks great but since they aren't really free and you lose access to them after you stop paying for PSN+ that makes it even worse IMO and they never offer any DLC or "deals" that i care about. 

So far the only advantage i have seen or at least and advantage that semi interest me is the betas and im not paying for betas, ill just drive over to a friends and play it :)

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HydraHam

Also i thought the beta goes FREE for ALL psn+ members later on, don't know why people are crying about it only being limited to X amount of PSN+ members, could of swore i read that it will be for X amount of days which makes sense i guess.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @Styl3s:  its for the first 5k us ps+ members who download the theme and the first 5k uk ps+ members who download the theme. As far as i know it is not going to everyone down the line at all.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HydraHam
    @DarkTravesty said:
    " @Styl3s:  its for the first 5k us ps+ members who download the theme and the first 5k uk ps+ members who download the theme. As far as i know it is not going to everyone down the line at all. "
    We all know the beta will end up being public for everyone on PSN+ if not everyone on ps3, it's KZ3 a big AAA title for them or someone will find a way to let everyone play it like the warhawk closed beta.
    EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EgoCheck616
    @aurahack: Haters gonna hate. 
    Subscribing to the 1-year PS+ was a GREAT idea. 

I've easily gained anywhere from $100-$200 in content already. 

But no, continue with your trolling. Please.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#24  Edited By Jazz

I payed £11.99 for 3 months of plus. Thats the price of one of the big DLC games and £2 extra. I've already had the whole of the recent sam and max series to play, the AC2 beta, early access to demos, SF2HDremix, discounts and some free psx games, and I've only had it for two weeks. What are you complaining about? You don't get to keep some of this stuff forever? Are you going to be playing this stuff forever? 3 months is more than enough time to finish this stuff.  
    Paying to able to play with your friends online with a game you've already paid for..now thats fucking ridiculous.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By aurahack
    @EgoCheck616:  I'm not trolling, I have absolutely no objection to PS+. I'd probably get a subscription if I had the money to. I'm just saying that essentially no one signed up for the service, from what I can tell, at least.
    AFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AFreak

Seems like a hard beta.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JackG100

Indeed.

NAZAR3NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NAZAR3NE
    @Jazz: PSN+ isn't the same in NA as it is in EU, for one, PSN+EU is just plain more valuable in terms of what content you get. On top of that, basically everything that IS of value in PSN+NA just happens to be something I already paid for. XBL has been more valuable to me than PSN+ thus far.  I mean, c'mon, I paid for my PSN+ sub just like you (infact, I paid more seeing as I got a 12 month), so tell me, wheres my ACB Multiplayer Beta?
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By ptys

I love KZ2, was the clincher in my decision to get a PS3 but I'm still playing it and can't see how they could really improve on a game that good, apart from maybe the story?.. Think I'll give this a miss, but if you're new to the franchise you're in for a treat!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    • Be(come) a Plus subscriber
      • With the exception of a handful of key media partners and selected PAX feedback participants, access to the Killzone 3 Public Beta Trial is limited to PlayStation Plus subscribers. If you’re not enjoying the many benefits of Plus membership yet, now’s the time to sign up!
    • Download the theme
      • On October 19th, an exclusive Killzone 3 XMB Theme will appear in the Plus section of the PlayStation Store. The first 10,000 Plus subscribers to download this theme (5,000 SCEA Plus subscribers and 5,000 SCEE Plus subscribers) will receive access to the Public Beta Trial.
    • Check your email
      • After you’ve downloaded the Killzone 3 XMB Theme, you will receive an email on Oct. 25th containing the Public Beta Trial promotion code and further instructions through the address you registered as your PSN Sign-In ID. Make sure you’ve set your notification preferences to accept emails from SCE, or we won’t be able to contact you.
      •  

This is all from gametrailers. 
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Kiemoe

I am officially tired of all the talk of if a beta is a beta-beta or a demo-beta.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#32  Edited By Jazz
    @NAZAR3NE:  
    you ever take a look at the EU store? We barely have any of the decent PSX stuff you have let alone other content. No legacy of kain, no soul reaver, no resident evil, no Silent hill..I could go on. We're the ones that get shafted on a regular basis..not you. No Castle Crashers, no psx imports and everything is more expensive. So you don't have the Brotherhood beta..you are missing nadda. Trust me, its a broken mess at the moment. You stab a guy, get caught in the animation and another guy stabs you..and there is zero stealth. Just running around and ganking people. As it is now, its a joke. 
    We get better value? Are you fucking kidding me. PSN in the EU is a joke, so its kinda hilarious that you're envious of our Plus when all we want is the majority of your store. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE SOTN FFS. 
    Anyway, its only been 3-4 months of PSN..hopefully you'll get your money's worth at the end of it. The EU has been lucky for once, I'm sure you'll be getting all of the betas etc in due time and we'll be the ones fuming. Swings and roundabouts.
    XXL_Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By XXL_Bomb

Shame it's just PSN+.

hahmstrung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hahmstrung

leaving a comment for an achievement...what is this story about?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By monkeyking1969

This is the same fap you hear on Sony GAP, "[Boo Hoo], we should be in every beta test of every game because we're in the GAP." 
    djghostmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By djghostmare
    @THRICE: It most likely will become available to all Plus subscribers eventually, much like the Assassin's Creed Beta. When you start beta testing with the general public, you want to have a pool of people related to its point in development, i.e. the earlier the build, the smaller the pool. 

There's an easy way to explain it. Just earlier in this thread, @MordeanlisChaos told us how terrible the game looked when he last saw it live. Imagine if you opened the beta in that early a stage to a large mass. Maybe everyone who saw it would think the final product would be just as terrible. Interest on the game wanes, less people put up preorders, and when the game finally gets a release, sales are lackluster.  

However, if you open it to a small number of people, and consequently fix bugs and make general improvements, you can open it to larger masses and then use that beta to help promote the game as if it were a demo. Bungie and Microsoft have used a similar strategy by making people pay for their demo (buy Crackdown or ODST) and making it available to people who will probably already love their game (Halo fans), so their bottom line isn't effected substantially if the beta turns people off. 

Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Shadow71

There's been quite a few Beta's these days, nice to see companies really wanting to do their due diligence before shipping a product.

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Pkshields

Lost me at PSN+, don't know why they don't just open it up to all PSN+ members straight away though.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Jackel2072

no thanks. il just try it out when the full game ships.

phatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By phatcat

ugh! do want! D:

neonguide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By neonguide

Absolutely tiny little beta, keenly awaiting this though.

Avatar image for dapinkterrorist
    DaPinkTerrorist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DaPinkTerrorist

cool

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoOneFive

you know this multiplayer is going to set more standards, as they did with the last game. 

MetalDvL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By MetalDvL

stupendous

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By Brandy

Can't wait!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.