Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 13, 2018

A medieval open world RPG focused on period-accurate fighting and technique.

Does anyone know what this game actually is?

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@remmy: I've seen a person in one of these threads arguing that Saint Maurice was not black and there seems to be similar opinions elsewhere on the internet. Obviously I don't know what the developers actually think.
    You say that Saint Maurice would not be common knowledge for people in this region, but were the other saints referenced in this game so much more popular and a part of the peoples lives? Like saint Procopius, or Wilgefortis? I'm asking this seriously as I do not know.

@sethmode said:

@boonsong: After Waypoint's podcast I did even a tiny bit of digging on this and I mean, there's a whole lot of historical missteps. Which is totally fine, to be perfectly honest, but it means that you look kind of like a wad when you picked 100% historical accuracy as your hill to die on when people asked you about things like representation. But, the more I read about Vavra, the more "kind of a wad" seems maybe too generous.

Yeah I think "historical fiction" would be a more apt description for this game.

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Sputty

@boonsong said:

@remmy: I've seen a person in one of these threads arguing that Saint Maurice was not black and there seems to be similar opinions elsewhere on the internet. Obviously I don't know what the developers actually think.

You say that Saint Maurice would not be common knowledge for people in this region, but were the other saints referenced in this game so much more popular and a part of the peoples lives? Like saint Procopius, or Wilgefortis? I'm asking this seriously as I do not know.

The one saint mentioned in passing, from what I remember on the description of the sword, was a patron saint of mercenaries. Given that almost everyone that Henry interacts with is a mercenary, soldier or brigand it would make sense for a mercenary to know about that saint. The other one was, if I'm remembering right, George which would be a pretty famous saint anywhere. I'm not sure why you're obsessed with saints, though. They're not commonly brought up in the game. The player character starts the game as an illiterate blacksmith's son and doesn't have any religious education at all beyond what any peasant would have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sputty: I'm not obsessed with saints, but we are discussing the lack of people of color in this game, and Saint Maurice being black, and from my understanding a popular patron saint in Bohemia, is not referenced anywhere in the game while a bunch of other saints are, whether it be in documents or quests or whatever. It's a just a notable observation in the overall conversation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab7e03c73d22
    deactivated-5ab7e03c73d22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong said:

How could I answer this without context? Who said it, and what were they discussing when they referenced them? I see that Wilgefortis is regarded as potentially folklore, and a bearded lady to boot, making it something you could argue would appeal more to commonfolk as a sort of funny story to tell. Why do you feel that Maurice was so popular, so much so that not including him equals racism? I see no mention of Maurice in Bohemian culture during the game's time-frame beyond Charles IV having items related to him, and he was an avid collector.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@remmy:A lot of these references to saints are just in documents you can find, I think? I'm looking at a wikia.
    I read that Saint Maurice became associated with the House of Luxembourg which seems important. I have never said that not including St. Maurice equals racism, I simply read that he became a popular saint and image in medieval Bohemia. What is racist though are Daniel Vávras hateful and ignorant tweets about skin color and Islam among other things. When I read stuff like that by a lead dev, I naturally question the historical vision of his game.
    It makes me wonder whether he excluded people of color from the game because of racist reasons, when including some would not take away any authenticity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong man, you're just talking in circles now. This whole conversation started because you said "I'm still waiting for someone to justify why Maurice isn't in the game, because he should be", but you still haven't given one example of why he should be. What does it mean that he was 'associated with the House of Luxembourg'? How so?

RK92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong: the game has plenty of Cumans which are not white people. Do I dunno where you're getting a lack of people if color.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@remmy:He was a patron saint of the House of Luxembourg. Your argument was that he had been dead for a long time, so how could he have been included in the game.

@rk92: There should be more.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austin makes the very good point too that standing tall on historical accuracy for the era is a fool's errand anyway. Very little is 100% certain, so when you combine that with Vavra's comments, not taking the opportunities they could have taken to put in at least ONE black person, it just isn't a good look IMO.

I'd be curious how diverse the staff is. When I was listening to the Waypoint cast, it made me think of when Manveer was on and his talking about how higher ups shot down ideas against the direction in ME Andromeda and how the environment wasn't one that you could push back. I don't know Vavra, but when I see people that say the shit he does, it makes me think even if someone came to him during development about putting a black person in the game, he'd be inclined to shoot it down out of hand and quite frankly, that sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: True, very little is known for sure of this period of history and I myself know extremely little, so there is probably no point in me going further. I feel like I have said my peace anyway.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong: Sorry if it sounded like me trying to shoot you down. I agree with you. I just find it silly that Vavra and by extension are using history as their foil when it's hardly a reliable one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: No not at all. And yes I agree, especially Vávra's response to some of the criticism has been childish and immature, to say the least.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Just... wow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong said:

@remmy:He was a patron saint of the House of Luxembourg. Your argument was that he had been dead for a long time, so how could he have been included in the game.

No he wasn't dude. Link me to even one source that says that he was the patron saint of the House of Luxembourg. Just one.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Will this game set the record for number of threads about it that need to be closed?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.