Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning thoughts?

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By theacidskull

I've had this game for a long time and I keep playing through it but...I'm just not feeling it. I'd say I'm relatively still early within the game, does it pick up the pace story-wise?

also, I don't like the main/my character. Thing is, he doesn't really have any personality so far other than what the written texts give us and the pale,uninteresting reflections/evaluations from the people you meet.I can respect games like wolf among us, Mass effect or the walking dead because you feel that your actions ACTUALLY define you(arguably they define you here as well, but you never really feel the change or development) and at times it even feels that you are writing the story itself , plus the main characters actually talk AND have personalities from which you can evolve or devolve from.

Now again, I might be wrong, but so far, aside from the cool stylistic graphics and the fun combat, I don't find it appealing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I actually had a really good time with it, managed to S-Rank it and still left the game feeling satisfied. It's massive and the combat is a little simple but it's miles better than anything you'd see in something like Skyrim for example. It does have its flaws but it's a good game overall IMO.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Pretty fun game, though I made it halfway through on one platform and had to restart eventually and have yet to have the motivation/time to make it through on a different character (though the combat is still excellent).

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nah. It's a mostly forgettable game. I'd advise respeccing often to keep gameplay fresh because - while the combat is enjoyable - it's often a bit too easy and storywise and especially sidequest-wise, the game's a snoozefest. I would say R.A Salvatore should be ashamed, but he's already known for some pretty schlocky fantasy stuff.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

I actually had a really good time with it, managed to S-Rank it and still left the game feeling satisfied. It's massive and the combat is a little simple but it's miles better than anything you'd see in something like Skyrim for example. It does have its flaws but it's a good game overall IMO.

Well, not saying it's bad of course, it's pretty fun, but there are certain areas i can't go because I have to complete side quests in order to upgrade because some of the enemies on my MIAN quests show no visible damage at ALL, which kind of annoys me because I want to pursue the story since I find it intriguing, albite kinda slow at the moment(I hope it picks up), but the constant hinderance annoys me.

Nah. It's a mostly forgettable game. I'd advise respeccing often to keep gameplay fresh because - while the combat is enjoyable - it's often a bit too easy and storywise and especially sidequest-wise, the game's a snoozefest. I would say R.A Salvatore should be ashamed, but he's already known for some pretty schlocky fantasy stuff.

Interesting, so aside from the gameplay, there isn't any merit to the game? That's a shame. I'll finish it to formulate my own opinion on the matters but this news didn't make me more excited. Though there are some mixed reactions here, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Funzzo

Picked it up for 5 bucks new from walmart on PC and loved it.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

Its a pretty damn fun game and the whole diablo-ee loot lust thing is done well. But eh the story remains pretty so-so.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MindBullet

For me, its one of those weird games where I seem to remember it fondly, but when I actually try to sit down to play it again I walk away disappointed. It really isn't a bad game... It has some interesting concepts and ideas, but it all seems to come together in an incredibly mediocre package. Even when I was really in to the game I don't think I ever managed to finish the whole thing.

But if the idea of an MMO-style action-rpg set in a traditional fantasy world that kind of feels like Fable interests you, then give it a shot.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theacidskull

@mindbullet said:

For me, its one of those weird games where I seem to remember it fondly, but when I actually try to sit down to play it again I walk away disappointed. It really isn't a bad game... It has some interesting concepts and ideas, but it all seems to come together in an incredibly mediocre package. Even when I was really in to the game I don't think I ever managed to finish the whole thing.

But if the idea of an MMO-style action-rpg set in a traditional fantasy world that kind of feels like Fable interests you, then give it a shot.

Well, see, here's the problem, THIS was me giving a shot at a more RPG style gameplay, mainly because I really enjoyed seeing different types of monsters and the fact that you're a knight really lured me in, and when I started playing the story seemed interesting, specially the concepts of altering fate and shaping your own character. But it's getting boring, and that rarely happens with me when I'm playing a game, in fact I don't recall of that every happening to me before, and I've even replayed games many many times. It's just that I find it very dull to try to constantly upgrade yourself in order to finish the story( otherwise I simply CAN'T Harm my more powerful enemies), maybe it's the the style I don't like?

i just wanted reassurance that the story is worth it, and thanks for commenting :)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I bought it for 6 bucks and put it down after maybe 5-10 hours. I tried to follow Jeff's advice and stay away from side content, but some of it was actually interesting, and some of it was just right there. Ultimately, the combat just had too little variety for the amount of it there was. I was somewhat interested in the story, but not enough to to slog through the rest of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boooring. I tried to play it many times now, and well, it is just an unremarkable bore. I would rather play an MMO alone than play Reckoning...

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storywise no but its a pretty fun game for the combat to just run around doing quests beating on stuff while listening to podcasts or what not.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

I S ranked the game but it really did become a choir after a while. The game is entirely too long and the biggest problem is the lack of enemy variety. That combat, for me anyway, is what needs to be implemented into an MMO to make them appealing. Actually, Vindictus is the only one i can think of that has come close to having that sort of action in an MMO.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

I found it fun for a while but the story is boring as hell and there are not enough interesting characters around to get you past that. The combat is top notch but the loot system left much to be desired. I broke down practically everything I found and crafted my own armor and weapons because it was always 3 to 4 times better than anything found in the field. The world felt empty, too. Not enough populace running about. Still if you can get it on the cheap, it's as good a way to pass a few afternoons as any.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a lot of people here had the same problem with it as I did. The mechanics are great, but the world itself felt empty and generic. Also I really didn't like the art style. Too stylized for my taste.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really liked it tbh. The only drawback is there are way too many quests, and maybe a bit repetive.
    I do highly recommend playing the faction side quests.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storywise no but its a pretty fun game for the combat to just run around doing quests beating on stuff while listening to podcasts or what not.

Bummer, i was hoping the story would pick up..:(

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its been awhile since I played it, I was excited for it coming out cause its the kind of game I love. The combat is great for awhile, and the game looks great and some story threads are good. However after a few hours everything slows and the combat gets repetitive at one point I remember thinking all right I'm just going to make a run for the end of the game. There was some large fight vs huge monster, which was alright, but it wasn't the end of the game. It was however the end for me. I still have it and have thought about going back and trying to finish it, but I have no idea where I was or what was going on. When I see it sitting next to dragon age I think I should just play through dragon age again.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I played it to completion at launch and liked it quite a bit, but it's not a game I any have desire to play again.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I got around 20 hours in and stopped. Enjoyed what I played and liked the world, but I remember buying 4 games that month and just never getting back to it.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By strainedeyes

I have it from when PS+ offered the game for free. I played a few hours of it but haven't gone back to it since. Someday I will.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I played 40 hours of it, about 25 of which I actually enjoyed. That game is a bunch of neat ideas dragged out to a length that cannot support them. At that point I was fighting the same kinds of enemies in the same-looking environments surrounded by what was essentially MMO-quality quest writing and I couldn't force myself to keep going. You can break the combat really easily just by investing hard into gemcraft and making a few HP regeneration gems. The game cannot keep up, and even if it could you're probably hilariously overleveled from doing all of the side content.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I played it for about 45 hours and I feel that was my limit with the game. By the end of it every time I started playing it I just got the sudden urge to go play Oblivion instead. I did enjoy it for quite a while though, I just don't think the world they created was all that engaging.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

I love the shit out of that game.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hatking

Weird, I've actually just started playing it again. I played it a whole bunch a couple years back, but I lost interest at some point. I think I lost the narrative thread and the game fucking loves to throw quests at you. When I went back I had a quest log thicker than a dictionary and no recollection of where I left off. I started up a new character earlier this week. I've been doing what I can to keep my chin above water on the quests. I only take what I'll actually complete, and I try to keep it to four or five quests at any given time. This game is thick. I could easily see somebody dropping a Skyrim-esque amount of time into these quests. The problem is that the gameplay seems relatively shallow, and I'm not sure it'll have the legs to keep itself interesting for that amount of time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee

Pure mediocrity in like every way. Even the combat, it's one shining beacon of hope, I don't think is that good, either. I done up a pretty substantial blog actually close to its release ranting about the problems I had with it. Ha, turns out it's still close to the top at that; speaks to how little discussion there's been on here about Amalur. But anywhoo, I did not care for Amalur for very much at all. Never even completed it, as it just went on and on and on, and seemingly nothing besides the environments really changes; bunch of enemy and quest palate swaps. The loot in particular also got to be useless as it would keep dropping a bunch of crap, and the game isn't especially difficult to begin with even on Hard mode anyway.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theacidskull

@yummylee said:

Pure mediocrity in like every way. Even the combat, it's one shining beacon of hope, I don't think is that good, either. I done up a pretty substantial blog actually close to its release ranting about the problems I had with it. Ha, turns out it's still close to the top at that; speaks to how little discussion there's been on here about Amalur. But anywhoo, I did not care for Amalur for very much at all. Never even completed it, as it just went on and on and on, and seemingly nothing besides the environments; the loot in particular got to be useless as it would keep dropping a bunch of crap, and the game isn't especially difficult to begin with even on Hard mode anyway.

I kind of agree with this. Thus far, the game has not impressed me, it feels kinda dull. Plus there IS no main protagonist in reality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.