Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning last generation's P.T.?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning last generation's P.T.? (114 votes)

Yes, it's exactly P.T. I've been saying this for a year! It's all in my zine! 2%
    There are some similarities, sure. 11%
    There are some small similarities but they are vastly outweighed by the differences. 29%
    No. Just no. 45%
    Hell no, and even raising the possibility makes me ANGRY 5%
    I don't know what an Amalur is or why it would do physical training, but I love voting in polls! Yeah! Polls! 8%

I spent a good chunk of my weekend playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and one of the thoughts I had as I jammed on the roll button like a maniac is that there are a surprising number of similarities to P.T.

Now I realize that the games themselves aren't similar at all, and I get that there are other very significant differences (P.T. was free, Amalur was full price; P.T. was the greatest thing ever, Amalur is just so-so) but there are also some pretty weird similarities:

1. Both were released as appetizers for forthcoming huge budget games.
    2. Both were very different from the games they were intended as appetizers from (Kingdoms of Amalur would have been an MMO, Silent Hills would have been third person)
    3. Both were under the auspices of famous people from outside the world of games (I know Kojima is obviously a games guy, no matter what Jeff says, but I'm talking about Schilling and Del Toro)
    4. Both preceded by less than a year the meltdown and destruction of the studios making the big games they were supposed to generate hype for, and in both cases the studio's collapse had nothing to do with the quality or reception of the 'teaser' game.

I just think it's interesting that you have these two games both released to create hype for big projects that almost immediately collapsed in a spectacular way. I can't think of many examples of these types of teaser games existing at all (Japanese studios sometimes release 'prologue' games, like Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes or Gran Turismo prologues, but those are more glorified demos than totally different games intended to generate hype for a bigger project.)

Are there examples of these types of unrelated 'hype' games actually working out? Is it a sign of trouble if a studio feels the need to hype a big project through an unrelated game? Is it just a weird coincidence?

• 
    THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

The biggest difference is that I can still buy and download kingdoms of Amalur but I can not do the same with PT. But your right about them being a playable Teaser.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only similarity is pretty minor and even then is barely a similarity. Yes they were both introductions to something but Amalur was the introduction to the world, while there was no indication PT was related at all to anything that would become Silent Hills.

Shilling and Del Toro don't really line up either. Shilling was someone with a legitimate passion for games who wanted to make a career out of it while Del Toro saw it as an interesting side project.

Konami also hasn't melted down and is doing quite well for itself.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

From what I understand, Reckoning started out as something that had nothing to do with Kingdoms of Amalur until 38 Studios bought Big Huge Games. I don't see much of a comparison outside of the fairly surface level stuff of "This game is related to another game that never came out".

Reckoning stands on its own as a full and self-contained game (...albeit a middling action-RPG that starts out promising but ends up boring), P.T. is just a really neat concept piece that might not have reflected whatever that Silent Hill reboot would actually be.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I haven't played P.T and only played a tiny amount of Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning but I'm pretty sure Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is a full game in and of itself, whereas P.T is a much shorter teaser. I get your argument but I don't think it matches up.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, just because of the scale. Also, P.T. show the promise of something bigger in the future, but it wasn't a complete game and from what I've heard, was a thoroughly enjoyable experience for fans of the genre. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had things that fans of the genre liked, but I heard a lot of people say "it's okay." There wasn't as much fervor for whatever the next game would be as there was for Silent Hill. Also, it's Silent Hill, a beloved franchise with a troubled recent history, whereas Kingdoms of Amalur is a pretty unknown in many regards.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

Nope.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I don't consider Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning an appetizer as that was a huge game and I had zero interest in that MMO if that was even the thing Reckoning was trying to promote. As for P.T. was pretty much a demo, hence teaser.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some small similarities but they are vastly outweighed by the differences

^ I feel that is very important. I love Amalur, but I got my time with it and can still put more time with it. As mentioned, PT is something that essentially will never become what it was meant to be. I enjoyed Amalur and it got to be a game. I would play a sequel too. PT, however, only had its mild time in the sun and never got to be what was fully intended.

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By j4yk

I wish the game did have some co-op but to bad the MMO never happened :(

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BladedEdge

Hmm.. did P.T. teach people the need to mod FoV sliders into your game in order to see anything/be able to play it on a PC?

If so, then yup, absolutely.

If not uh. No.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.