Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Your Progression/Playstyle Plans?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

So we will chose a primary and secondary weapon and decide upon combat skills and magic spells - choices which will determine what kind of higher quality gear will be open to us - as well as specialize into non-combat tradeskills. After the demo (assuming you got past its shortcomings and general lack of polish and originality), what are your plans regarding your progression and playstyle?

Mine are as follows...

• Primary Weapons: Longswords/Great Swords
    • Secondary Weapon: Bow & Arrows
    • Finesse Skills
    • Finesse Armor
    • Might Shield
    • Crafting Skills Focus - Alchemy, Blacksmithing and Sagecrafting (didn't get to craft anything in demo, but it seemed deep and rewarding from what is hinted at)

I'll first specc into Finesse, so I'll be able to wear the sweet +critical armor. Looking forward to combine the critical prowess of Finesse with the raw power of Might weapons. Should be a fun build. Of course, if there are respeccs, I'll try out everything during my time with the game, which can be 100s of hours apparently.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

I'm extremely tempted to go pure mage with some skills in lock picking and Hidden doors.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli

@Mordukai said:

I'm extremely tempted to go pure mage with some skills in lock picking and Hidden doors.

The shotgun (staff) and pistol (scepter) combo is extremely powerful and them chakrams do look sexy in the all them promotional videos. And the whole '+mana reg' gear allows much more frequent use of special abilities and magic. I did seem to set enemies on fire with proper blocking with a talisman too. It's very tempting indeed. Due to being overpowered out of the wazoo.

Wearing sandals is kind of a deal breaker for me though, assuming that's what magic-only users keep wearing throughout.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FritzDude

Pure Rogue: Cloak & daggers and all that good stuff.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By morrelloman

I accidentally stole from the chest in the blacksmith shop and killed everyone in the town with sword & Staff.

I was also using the Scorpion "get over here" ability which had me like...Yeah I am def playing this.

Its tough to say how I will end up playing but I love the idea of a heavy might guy supported by magic.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Bwast

A big fucking dude with a big fucking war hammer. It's clobbering time. Probably will do some blacksmithing to make even bigger war hammers. My demo ended right when I attacked some big ogre for a quest. It was almost as if they planned it but my time just ran out at the perfect time.

Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dave_442

@FritzDude said:

Pure Rogue: Cloak & daggers and all that good stuff.

This ^

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By poisonmonkey

I'm totally not sure what to go with, started with sword and staff (loved using that combo), switched to daggers and staff (loved using that too and sacked the first town I came too!), found the hammer and bloody love using that too. Not even tried the Scepter yet!! Damn you Kingdoms of Amalur for having such accessible combat options!

And this is only the demo, god know what I will do when the game comes out.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CottonWolf

I was thinking a thief-mage. Faeblades and chakrams.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By amir90

Not sure, but probably a mixed combo.

MrBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrBelmont

I usually go for the pure Warrior my first play through, but I may change it up and go for a Battlemage type build. Odds are ill end up using Greatswords with secondary Bow, but who knows.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

My current playstyle plan does not include this game, but if it were I would probably go daggers/stealth. Because that's always the first kind of character I make in these kinds of games.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By fini_fly

Thief-mage. I usually go for pure warrior. Skyrim I was a warrior-mage, so I'll switch it up a bit here. Loved the demo!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

So far going hybrid seems like you will be castrating yourself at lower levels.
    Skills help each other out much more within their own trees.
    Maybe at higher levels when you have skill points coming out of your ass this will change.
    Gear likewise seems to better support plain classes, not hybrids.

I recommend everyone gets Detect Hidden to at least level 2 to see all the hidden stashes. These things are everywhere.
    Blacksmithing pretty much seems to allow you to always have better wepons/armor for your level, outside of the purple loot. (so far)
    Speech is a must if you want to talk your way out of situations or get extra rewards. But out of several quests in the demo speech failure was nothing a fight couldn't solve.

Maxing mages lighning bolt, makes you one shot any standard enemy at early levels. Even in the second main area. It is also a 35% chance AoE stun...
    Ignoring attack interrupts from dammage looks like one of the most important skills for a 2h warror, as you will want to dish out those super dammaging charge up attacks.
    Will try rogues tomorrow.

@Seppli said:

Wearing sandals is kind of a deal breaker for me though, assuming that's what magic-only users keep wearing throughout.

Second pair of boots for mages I found was already just boots, not sandals.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

All magic all the time.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Hmmm... 

Seriously thinking Might/Sorcery with a bigass hammer and as many fireballs as I can muster. The other one was Finesse/Sorcery, because the stealth system is pretty fun and the magic was devastating as shit even at level 3 of shock bolt or whatever it was called. 

Apollo87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Apollo87

I was very tempted to go Might/Sorcery but didn't like the compromise I had to do since for the fates you have to go 50/50 and I was thinking more of a 70/30 but that just leaves you in a bad place and not really using either fate to its' full potential, so I think I'll go with pure Might.

@Seppli said:

• Crafting Skills Focus - Alchemy, Blacksmithing and Sagecrafting (didn't get to craft anything in demo, but it seemed deep and rewarding from what is hinted at)

Had a chance of trying it out in the demo and was able to give myself a pretty powerful longsword, with several effects and buffs which was really rewarding, I'm definitely sticking to it in the full game.

Weapons I'm pretty sure I'll go with Longswords or Greatswords for primary, sadly I didn't see any Greatsword in the demo so it depends on its speed, still haven't decided on the secondary but I messed around a bit with a Longsword/Hammer combo and it worked great, and for enemies that were far away I used the ability that worked like Scorpion's Spear.

@poisonmonkey said:

. Not even tried the Scepter yet!!

Scepters are pretty much peashooters and you can have a charge shot that fires shots in several directions, it seems like a good opener.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Apollo87
    There are 2 people in the starting town that sell Greatswords. A chick in the innn, and the first merchant in the house on the right  as you enter.
    Greatswords are slightly faster then hammers, slightly less dammage. But the first charge up attack is an AoE whrilwind, which is great since you are constantly fighting several mobs.

@poisonmonkey said:

. Not even tried the Scepter yet!!

Scepters are pretty much peashooters and you can have a charge shot that fires shots in several directions, it seems like a good opener.

With equivalent investment scpeters have very good dammage, equivalent to chakrams or longswords.
    Advantage is that scepters shoot like a machine gun and are ranged. Making them a very good choice for combat
    Disadvantage is that they have very little stager/knockback and copst you mana to use, basically stoping your mana regeneration. Making them less usefull in group situations.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli

Got my first Faeblades on my 3rd stint with the demo. It's the type of swords WoW's Ilidan wields. Two curved sword blades with the hilt being in the middle. Dualwielding Faeblades at that.

Revised plans. Going all-in Finesse with Faeblades and Bow. Traps and Poisons and all the other Finesse skills are neat to dick with NPCs. And isn't life all about being a dick to others? Indeed it is.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ExplodeMode

So far - finesse/sorcery with daggers and staff.  Magic seems really cool in this game.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#21  Edited By yevinorion

I played mostly Rogue style with Daggers in the demo and I loved it. That charge up move where you can dash attack up to 4 or 5 times is just sick. I just feel so in charge when I'm in combat, it's like a slightly shallower version of Batman:AA/AC meets Darksiders (which in itself is just God of War-lite). Definitely want to play it again as something else though and see how it goes. I got all caught up reading all the Destiny cards and they all sound pretty sick at high levels.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

Finished a playthrough as rogue today.
    Having played as all 3 base classes now, comments on rogues:

• fuck daggers, they output piddly dammage compared to anything a warrior or mage does
    • as per above due to low dmg output of daggers, dagger skill comboes are likewise underwhelming, you take seconds charging up for a 5 man dash and at the end no one is dead, in the same amount of time a war or mage would have decimated the enemy
    • another problem with daggers is lack of simple aoe, which in group situations (almost all encounters in the game) makes kills take longer and you more vulnurable to counter attacks from non primary targets
    • fayblades seem to be the only way to go, they are like daggers with an inbuilt AoE component and better combos
    • as excpected too many enemies are in groups, frequently with no way to flank, making backstabs: time consuming, frequently non viable, and even when they are viable, you will still only take down part of an enemy force
    • bows at low levels can go bugger themselves, limited ammo, and low dammage output, compared to the devastation a mage can lay down with a wand (maybe high level bow skills will reverse the situation later on in the game)
    Relevant shit for all classes:
    • save up your fade trance (or whatever) for bosses and the like, makes fights trivial AND gives an important xp boost
    • game has elemental enemies in the first areas already, so having more then 1 method of killing is nice, since weakness/vulnerability to elemental damamge, makes a HUGE difference in how fast shit dies
    • all classes and setups are viable and will do just fine, it's just a matter of some seeming to work better overall

Combining this and my earlier posts.
    I will either go with 2h warrior or rogue with fayblades.
    Mages are powerfull but dmg scaling is a worry, and dagger/bow is inferior to fayblade for rogue.

As far as skills go:
    • blacksmithing/sagecrafting is the way to go for having better gear all the time
    • detect hidden is great for extra loot/money, but irrelevant for traps as you can just dodge out of harms way (so you could invest just far enough to see hidden goodies and forget about it, to get max benefit)
    • lockpicking seems a waste, i could pick hard locks with 0 lockpicking skill with very little effort
    • alchemy will depend a lot if there are actually any OP recepies later on in the game, at the start it's too much effort for small gain
    • magic lockpicking seems a waste but more for the reson of magick locks being rare, and you can just eat the dammage anyway
    • persuation so far is just a few more trinkets now and again
    • stealth is an obvious must if you want to do backstabs (duh) but considering how situational and time consuming that shit is ...
    • haven't tested effects of merchantile skill fully
    From the above, I will likely go blacksmithing/sagecrafting, with a dash of detect hidden, other skill to consider could be merchant.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti:

I had a tutorial pop-up about how skills (supposedly trade skills) can be increased at skill trainers against gold and not necessarily requiring a lvl-up. As it is a Skyrim-like open world game (a fact which can be easily overlooked when playing the limited area and time demo given the game's environmental structure), I'm quite certain that becoming a 'Master of All' within one playthrough will be a possiblitly.

Likely linked to the completion of faction quest lines. Like completing the warrior guild stuff for a Blacksmith trainer and so forth.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti:

I had a tutorial pop-up about how skills (supposedly trade skills) can be increased at skill trainers against gold and not necessarily requiring a lvl-up. As it is a Skyrim-like open world game (a fact which can be easily overlooked when playing the limited area and time demo given the game's environmental structure), I'm quite certain that becoming a 'Master of All' within one playthrough will be a possiblitly.

Likely linked to the completion of faction quest lines. Like completing the warrior guild stuff for a Blacksmith trainer and so forth.

Yea there is a dude in the first village in the inn who can teach you 1 rank of disarm traps for 15k
    But trainers can only level up your skill once per dude. So it's a limited option.
    As far as main skill selection goes, the ones i want to choose are going to be my starter ones, others I will take as extra points get available,
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By FLStyle

Dark Knightish for me. Mostly might with some spells.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TehJedicake

Two handed heavy armor wrecking shit up.

Apollo87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Apollo87

@Tennmuerti:

Gave the Greatsword a go and personally I found it to be a little too in the middle for me, I'd go with a longsword/hammer combo for speed and max damage depending on the situation.@Tennmuerti said:

Finished a playthrough as rogue today.

Combining this and my earlier posts.
    I will either go with 2h warrior or rogue with fayblades.
    Mages are powerfull but dmg scaling is a worry, and dagger/bow is inferior to fayblade for rogue.

As far as skills go:
    • blacksmithing/sagecrafting is the way to go for having better gear all the time
    • detect hidden is great for extra loot/money, but irrelevant for traps as you can just dodge out of harms way (so you could invest just far enough to see hidden goodies and forget about it, to get max benefit)
    • lockpicking seems a waste, i could pick hard locks with 0 lockpicking skill with very little effort
    • alchemy will depend a lot if there are actually any OP recepies later on in the game, at the start it's too much effort for small gain
    • magic lockpicking seems a waste but more for the reson of magick locks being rare, and you can just eat the dammage anyway
    • persuation so far is just a few more trinkets now and again
    • stealth is an obvious must if you want to do backstabs (duh) but considering how situational and time consuming that shit is ...
    • haven't tested effects of merchantile skill fully
    From the above, I will likely go blacksmithing/sagecrafting, with a dash of detect hidden, other skill to consider could be merchant.

Personally I found rogues to be a little underwhelming, as you mentioned, the damage it does when compared to mage or warrior is not enough and stealth kills are very situational and I just don't have the patience to do it, though I did find the status effects and abilities are quite nice, I liked the one that gives you a chance to poison, that combined with poison daggers and it stacks up pretty well.

You worry about damage scaling but the other classes, which as far as I can see have a similar amount of abilities, don't have scaling abilities either and since you still would get new equipment the damage you can do evens out, staves are pretty powerful and its' combos are easy to handle and get a few enemies in them, and the scepters give you a good weapon for when you're a bit overwhelmed and want to keep your distance, haven't tried shakrams but they look like a good weapon for crowd management. With this I think I have to make clear my playstyle which is to use abilities not so much as damage dealers but to keep the enemies staggered so I can continue a combo.

As far as skills go I agree with you completely, being able to craft weapons quite more powerful than whatever you get in the demo and the possibility to get some of the items you used back to make an even better weapon makes it pretty easy to always have something very powerful for your level, that and you can still make better armor and such makes it a must have for me as far as skills go, persuasion I hope makes itself more useful later in the game so that you could get things other than money.

Personally, I find that the classes I enjoyed the most are Mage and Warrior, I was surprised by the fact that Mage armor is not as weak as in other games making it a little less vulnerable than what I was expecting.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By project343

Pure mage. I really enjoyed the staff. Had an Avatar: The Last Airbender feeling to it.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By BoFooQ

I thought the hammer was alittle to slow to use all the time but it was fun. last time I played demo used scepter and shakrams and seemed like a great combo. As for the skill trees it doesn't seem like there a ton of options unless they keep going up. I thought the scorpion like harpoon was great, and the quake looked cool. I'm not sure how many time you can level all of those up each.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti

@BoFooQ said:

I thought the hammer was alittle to slow to use all the time but it was fun. last time I played demo used scepter and shakrams and seemed like a great combo. As for the skill trees it doesn't seem like there a ton of options unless they keep going up. I thought the scorpion like harpoon was great, and the quake looked cool. I'm not sure how many time you can level all of those up each.

It lists a number of how many points you put into the skill out of how many are possible total for that skill in the description.

I think the harpoon is like 4 and quake 6, or thereverse. But quake for example has further upgrades and modifiers that get added to it if you go further up the tree.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By morningstar

Mage. Always mage in any game. Always evil in any game too if possible ^^

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By musubi

Some sort of Rogue/Mage Hybrid.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By unchained

Main Weapon: Greatsword

Secondary: Hammer.

I like to hit hard. Fuck range and speed.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli

Just read on IGN's extended 'Review in Progress' for KoA:R, that Fateweavers will do full respeccs for a fee. So we can all do as much playstyle experimenting as we want.

btw. the article is quite good and clears up some confusion caused by the demo. It is in fact an open world game with lots of exploration in it for example, a fact which I feel is lost on most playing the demo it seems, who bring up criticism I'd only levy against a strictly linear experience.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Blind_Evil

I'm gonna go finesse/sorcery. I was underwhelmed with the bow and very impressed with sceptres, so that'll be my close/ranged combo.

The animation on the sceptre attack is pretty weak, though.

Edit: changed my mind on sceptres. Gonna be either daggers or faeblades (leaning daggers) combined with chakrams.

Apollo87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Apollo87

I went through the demo again today and tried the race that has 1 point on find hidden and I'm definitely using it in the full game, with 2 points you get to see TONS of treasures hidden in the world, that and blacksmithing should keep me pretty well equipped at least in the first couple of hours of the game.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kerse

I kinda wanna do a warrior mage type thing using the Chakram things, that weapon is so cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will probably go with some sort of Battlemage since a pure stealth class isn't that great, also I never liked the part were Roguish-Stealthy classes ends up facing of against these giant monsters, that is not what an assassin is trained at - not in any form of direct combat, a Rogue would only be able to defeat such a monsters through cunningly poisoning the monsters food or sneaking in for a quick and fatal stab - otherwise he should get squashed.

But alas, they don't make games that support those ideals, mostly because that would be too hard to balance compared to Warriors or Mages since it would either be overpowered or underpowered.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blind_Evil

@Village_Guy said:

I will probably go with some sort of Battlemage since a pure stealth class isn't that great, also I never liked the part were Roguish-Stealthy classes ends up facing of against these giant monsters, that is not what an assassin is trained at - not in any form of direct combat, a Rogue would only be able to defeat such a monsters through cunningly poisoning the monsters food or sneaking in for a quick and fatal stab - otherwise he should get squashed.

But alas, they don't make games that support those ideals, mostly because that would be too hard to balance compared to Warriors or Mages since it would either be overpowered or underpowered.

Drizzt Do'urden would like to have a word with you. He doesn't like when other universe's archetypes are applied across other properties.

Rogue doesn't always mean assassin. "Finesse" certainly doesn't, duelists and archers fall into that category.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Never play mage but Chakrams baby. Finesse/sorcery.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EthanielRain

Pure Finesse, with Daggers & Bow. Maybe put a bit into Magic so I can get the Poison teleport, but I really really liked the Bow & sneak kills in the demo.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EthanielRain

As an aside, to the people who were underwhelmed by the rogue: I managed to get the timer bug and spent 12+ hours grinding one up. Towards the end it became apparent that it's a proc-based class. Poison, bleed & the one that does upfront damage; that's in addition to the insane amount of +critical DMG gear combined with fast attack speed daggers (the faeblades seemed to trade in some speed for more consistent DMG/some AoE). Seemed like the tree was very well designed, like the abilities that attack multiple targets (more proc chances). I'm not sure how well the rogue stuff would work as a hybrid, but if you go "all in" it seemed just as great as the mage/warrior/hybrids, just...different.

I could be wrong (I honestly didn't play much as a mage/warrior), but it seemed like those classes were more of a "what you see is what you get". As example, scepters seemed so much better than a bow, but after investing heavily in the Finesse tree bows give you those poison/bleed/upfront DMG/one-hit-kill crit chances...I didn't notice anything like that in the Magic tree. And you can pretty much always open up a fight with an easy sneak kill by using a prism shard (I think that's the name); later on you can turn invisible. Even if it's not the most efficient thing in the world, it just plain looks cool ^_^

Anyway, my .02 is that rogues range the scale between insanely awesome and flat out mediocre...depending on the roll of the dice. I personally love "dice roll" classes like that. The times when you get a string of crits & procs is a hell of a lot of fun and makes you feel like a god. Then the times when nothing seems to crit/proc, you have to dig in deep with potions & abilities...provides variety.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Andorski

Still not sure if I'm going to get the game, but Reckoning's combat system made me think about making a magic/rogue mix. The stock mage - a wizard going whiz, bang, boom with his magical powers - never made sense to me. Mages are usually characterized as being weak and vulnerable to direct attack, so why be obnoxiously loud and gain the attention of the enemy when fighting? I think a true magic user would be sly with their powers, and use them in a way where no one expects that he is the cause for any mischief.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.