Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kodu Game Lab

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 01, 2009

Kodu is a game-creating game for the Xbox 360 from Microsoft.

Has anybody bought this?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kmdrkul

Realistically I'll probably never drop the 400 MS points on this.  Several sources have called it the "LittleBigPlanet of the 360," but really, outside of the fact that it lets you create things, the similarities are negligible.  Not to mention that this is a five dollar Community Game.  If anybody has given in and bought it, for whatever reasons, I'd be happy to hear what you guys think of it.  I'm downloading the trial now...

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

Forgot about this. Guess I'll grab the trial and see what it's all about.

ZombieJerky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZombieJerky

I bought this about an hour ago and messed around with it.  If you are as old as I am, you will remember how they used to use logo to teach kids the basics of programming.  It was basically giving instruction to an arrow (called a turtle) to move around the screen and draw a picture.  Kodu is basically like logo, but for the modern kids with a lot more things to do.

I have 2 girls, one is 15 that has been tinkering with XNA, and a 7 year old that can spend hours building things with the Halo3 editor.  I bought this for them mostly.  I know I put the controller down 50 or so minutes ago, and the 7 year old hasn't stopped playing it since.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weltal

I decided to pick it up and it's ok. Granted I'm not the target audience and I can easily see so many limitations on what you can do, but working within the confines of Kodu I'm trying to create a bullet-hell shooter.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I bought it, it's only $5.

I'm not sure if I'll get a whole lot out of it, but it's a mildly interesting project.  It seems very possible to create a wide range of bad quality games.  It's far more open than game editing or modding (everything from LBP to modding Crysis), and far easier, but is anyone going to create anything really standout?  No.

SolarboyGil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SolarboyGil

it seems like fun just messing around with stuff. I have a party thursday so i want to see if i can make some fun party games

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Fracture

I got this last night. Without major instructions it's easy to over-program something. That and it's a bit glitchy. The way you put AI into the little buggers can cause some random effects that don't really make any sense. I told the game to deal damage to my bot when he's on black water and heal him when he's on blue wanter. Net effect, game starts and he starts taking both damage and healing when on land and not taking anything when in either color water. So I don't know what I did wrong.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By mordecaix7

Bought it last night but haven't had time to really mess with it.  I'll probably go through all the tutorial programming sessions first though.

Bumcivilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bumcivilian

I bought it today and I love it.  People need to stop comparing it to LBP, seriously, it's NOTHING like LBP.  LBP is a game, Kodu is a visual programming language.  BIG difference.  It's worth the $5 price tag.  I look forward to see what really creative people will do with it, because while it is very limited, it's powerful enough to have a lot of potential in creative hands.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By sickVisionz

I bought it.  It's interesting but i'm still trying to figure out all the things it can and can't do.  It's pretty overwhelming for me right now but I'm going to stick with it for a while.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jNerd

I'm interested in buying it, I have 400 points but I'm going to see how deep I can get in the trial before I commit to anything. It's an interesting idea, but I kinda want to download Comix Zone. lol

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CowMuffins

After modding for Source games, I think this has too many limitations. If it was released on the PC, I would definitely buy, because of the modability.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.