Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire, and PS3 woes.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiot

I think I'm about to throw in the towel. 

A few years ago I bought a 60 gig PS3. I've been quite happy with my system, and the ability of playing up-scanned PS2 games has been a phenomenal addition. 
    Then Final Fantasy XIII broke my PS3's laser. I sent my console into Sony, spent an exuberant fee, got my system back.
    A few days ago my PS3 YLOD. Why? I don't know. My thought process was that if I spent that much money for Sony to get my system fixed, my system shouldn't die roughly a year later. So I decided to go get it fixed at a place down in Seattle. I dropped it off for a few hours, the system works fine, vidiot is happy.

Except L.A. Noire

About less than five minutes into playing the game, the system jumps to what I assume is it's highest fan-speed. I do not know why. I have the system elevated, so the bottom is not touching my table. The system is out in the open, not in a cabinet. My system is not plugged into a power strip, but straight into the wall. Why is this game making my system do this? Before it might run loud, but then jump back to a lower fan-speed. Now it's just loud at all times.

I've been researching this non-stop and haven't found a single solution. There was a flare-up a few months ago when this game was released, regarding Rockstar trying to figure out how to fix this problem. They have since "concluded", a whole lot of nothing. So here I am, wanting to play more of this game, but I'm confused and terrified at the thought it's going to break my PS3...again
    What's more infuriating: Nobody seems to have any answers. Not Sony, not Rockstar. 

I'm contemplating cracking my PS3 open. I've been reading about fan replacements, and to my knowledge, the shop I dropped my PS3 off too a few days ago replaced the thermal paste that apparently likes to dry out on these systems. At the same time, I'm contemplating just throwing in the towel and just buying a Slim. This is exasperating and unfair. 
    Anyone have any suggestions?

If it's not too much to ask, if your system is working fine with this game ,without any work, or repairs, that's great: But it's not applicable to this situation
    I'm trying to get solutions. Thanks.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

If buying a Slim is an option, why not just keep playing on your current PS3, and then getting a Slim if anything happens to the one you have now?

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vidiot
    @FancySoapsMan: Personally, I don't want to buy a Slim. I feel like I've spent a lot of money on this thing already. It's an "option", but I feel like it's a last resort.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

@vidiot: I bought my first PS3 this week- a 320gb slim. I've only played Uncharted: Drake's Fortune so far. I guess I haven't checked- is installing to the HD not an option on PS3? If that's the case, it kinda blows. What am I going to use 320gb for if I can't install games to it? I'm sure as hell not dumping 320gb in videos on the thing.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vidiot
    @TooWalrus: Certain games require installs, but it's not because of over-heating or hardware issues (360). From my knowledge, certain PS3 game's require installs because the bluray laser is not efficient enough in comparison to a DVD's laser. The disc is still spinning, and the system is running components from the disc and the harddrive.
    slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By slantedwindows

keeping it horizontal helps

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I know the feeling. Last year my 60 gb PS3 died so I had to buy a new a slim. It just seems like the original PS3 just dies. Seems like it is due to overheating and being good to it just slows down it's inevitable end.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By defaulttag

@vidiot: They probably put too much thermal paste between the heatsink and the RSX and Cell processors causing more heat to be retained rather than transferred out. You could have done it on your own using youtube and $40 bucks worth of supplies. Youtube search 'gilksy ylod.' His guide is the most reliable one on the internet. I got my Fat 80gb backwards compatible PS3 working with his guide. The fix is NOT permanent. The old PS3's have poor heat regulation and lead-free soldering. This lead-free solder evaporates over time. You can only fix it so many times until it's pointless. The BEST solution is to buy the new PS3 slim that weighs less and uses less power (SEE THIS) Basically the more the heat regulation improves with PS3s, the less likely they are to YLOD. Slim models onward are very reliable. The slims have actually gone through several changes already. Model numbers cech 2001 to 2100, etc.. Each one compared to the last uses less power and has smaller chips that produce less heat. So yeah, you can fix your current system and make it last for a little bit longer OR buy a current Slim OR wait for the newly announced lighter Slim.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Vonocourt

@TooWalrus said:

@vidiot: I bought my first PS3 this week- a 320gb slim. I've only played Uncharted: Drake's Fortune so far. I guess I haven't checked- is installing to the HD not an option on PS3? If that's the case, it kinda blows. What am I going to use 320gb for if I can't install games to it? I'm sure as hell not dumping 320gb in videos on the thing.

Get Gran Turismo 5, that'll eat up a good 8GBs or so.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

@Vonocourt said:

@TooWalrus said:

Get Gran Turismo 5, that'll eat up a good 8GBs or so.

Yeah... but then I have to play a driving sim, which isn't really something I want to do.

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Korne

The 60 gb model has a hard time with Rockstar games. Mine couldn't play any of them, and then it had major freezing problems so I got a new slim this year. Luckily, we had just got 2 PS2s as Christmas gifts (funny story). 

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vidiot
    @defaulttag: Thanks, this was a reply I needed. Also, thanks to everyone who replied here.

I'm playing it by ear. Right Now I'm back playing L.A. Noire, and it seems to not be running at a fan speed that's the equivalent of a leaf-blower. In-fact, I just paused it and left it alone for a minute, and I can hear the fan speed going back to normal.
    I backed up all my saves and content yesterday just in-case. I will be doing this every week or so now. Uploading saves to the cloud also helps. My plan is to essentially run this thing to it's death, and save up for a newer model. Once I got the new model, if this thing is still alive, I'll just bring it out whenever I want to play a PS2 game. 

@defaulttag said:

You could have done it on your own using youtube and $40 bucks worth of supplies. Youtube search 'gilksy ylod.' His guide is the most reliable one on the internet. I got my Fat 80gb backwards compatible PS3 working with his guide.

There are some great video's online, thanks for the recommendations. I roughly paid that amount to get it fixed myself, I am not 100% confident on my technical skills opening and fixing a PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.