Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Why the open world was a Waste

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

Source: "We barely had any animators for such a long time, it was crazy. People have mentioned how the open world in L.A. Noire is wasted because the world is so boring. The reason was because no animators wanted to work at Team Bondi. There was no Lead Animator from January 2008 until the end of the game, and for large parts of production we only had one animator working on gameplay animations (any others were doing cinematic animations). This meant that there was no way to add life to the world. It's a perfect example of why staff retention is important, was ignored by the leads at Team Bondi, and the game suffered for it."

1 animator for gameplay, the rest for cutscenes. This explains the disconnect between the facial tech and awkward body animations.

The rest of the article focuses on the working conditions like lies about overtime pay, how Rockstar saved a lot of the management, and that Rockstar will never publish any future Team Bondi projects.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Sort of like the terribly unnecessary open world aspect of Mafia 2, so boring to drive around it, beautiful but oh so boring

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Elazul

Well that explains a lot. I still maintain that the game would've been much better if they'd scrapped the open world and put all of their resources into making a more polished, linear experience.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By scarace360
    @Venatio said:
    Sort of like the terribly unnecessary open world aspect of Mafia 2, so boring to drive around it, beautiful but oh so boring
    Hold on are you saying that mafia 2 is on the same level of la noire.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Venatio
    @scarace360 said:

@Venatio said:

I haven't played LA Noire yet so I wouldn't know

But they both have underutilized open worlds that are unecessary
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By laserbolts

Yeah some of the animations in this game are pretty bad. Try looking at pedestrians walking from a distance. It looks like they were taken from a ps1 game. Well at least there is an explanation for these sorts of things in the game.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Nadafinga

I agree that most of the open world parts of LA Noire are pretty unnecessary. But I did enjoy some of the car chases and suspect tailing/chasing. Not sure if those would have been possible without making at least some part of the open world.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scarace360
    @Venatio said:
    @scarace360 said:

@Venatio said:

I haven't played LA Noire yet so I wouldn't know  But they both have underutilized open worlds that are unecessary
    i really liked just driving around maybe because it gave me more time to think about the case.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By probablytuna

Sad to see so much negativity coming out from within the studio. I like the game, but now I'm very disappointed with Team Bondi.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

It added a lot to the atmosphere and the setting, even if there was nothing to do. I'm glad it was there.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This isn't telling me why it was wasted it's telling me why it wasn't better.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Bestostero

Open world was somewhat of a waste... i never really explored except to get film/landmarks/cars.

and yeah, very sad to see all the disconnect going on.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onarum

Wow, 1 animator, that's just effin crazy, whoever is the one behind the team management in this game should have absolutely nothing to do with making games at all...

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InternetCrab

I liked the open world for the one purpose that it let me play around, and letting me freely collect all cars, do street crimes, and discover landmarks. I loved the game, but i do have to agree the world was quite boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.