Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

A guide to Worlds 2015 (for those who may not know and see it taking over Twitch)

JonTheKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Worlds? What's that? (CrossPost from reddit via /u/SimplifyEUW)

Worlds 2015 is League of Legends biggest tournament. It is League's equivalent to Dota 2's The International and is the one tournament that every league team wants to compete in. The stakes are high as the team that wins are crowned the World Champions, receive $1,000,000 and the Summoners Cup. Worlds is being held in four different locations this year; Group Stages are being held in Paris, Quarter Finals are in London, Semi-Finals are in Brussels and the Grand Final is in Berlin.

Resources:

For people who have no idea what League of Legends is:

League of Legends is a fast-paced, competitive online game that blends the speed and intensity of an RTS with RPG elements. Two teams of powerful champions, each with a unique design and playstyle, battle head-to-head across multiple battlefields and game modes. With an ever-expanding roster of champions, frequent updates and a thriving tournament scene, *League of Legends* offers endless replayability for players of every skill level.

List of teams competing in Worlds 2015:

Group AGroup BGroup CGroup D
    Counter Logic Gaming (North America)Fnatic (Europe)SK Telecom T1 (Korea)LGD Gaming (China)
    KOO Tigers (Korea)Invictus Gaming (China)Edward Gaming (China)kt Rolster (Korea)
    Flash Wolves (Taiwan)AHQ eSports (Taiwan)h2K (Europe)Team Solo Mid (North America)
    paiN Gaming (Brazil)Cloud 9 (North America)Bangkok Titans (Thailand)Origen (Europe)

Here are some Spotlights for champions likely to be picked during Worlds:

Kalista

Azir

Ekko

Thresh

Rek'Sai

Jinx

Yasuo

Gnar

If you'd like to see more, here is Riot Games playlist of all the Champion Spotlights: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbAFXJC0J5GaVjPNNw_i-oLNKc7bVQcFk

Meta

The meta in League of Legends is in some way similar to Dota 2, but different in its own way. Games are usually played 1 person top - 1 person mid - 2 people bot and 1 person in the jungle. (note - In Worlds some teams will place 2 top and 1 bot and occasionally there may be 2 in the jungle).

Top lane is usually tankier/fighter type champions, Midlane is usually Ability power/Mage type OR Attack damage casters/Assassins, Jungle is usually fighter/bruiser type champions and Bottomlane is one Attack Damage Carry and one Support champion. Each region has their own playstyle that they use and will be seen throughout every game. Some teams will prefer to farm and only fight late game, some teams will play extremely aggressive and try to fight early on in the game.

Objectives

In Dota 2 there are runes that spawn in the river, there are no runes in League, instead we have Red Brambleback, Blue Sentinel and Scuttle Crab. Red Brambleback is a lizard creature accompanied by 2 smaller lizards. When slain, he will provide you with a buff that provides your attacks with a slow that also deals damage over time. Blue Sentinel is a big golem creature accompanied by 2 smaller sentinels. When slain, he will provide you with a buff that grants you 10% cooldown reduction and greatly increased mana regeneration. Scuttle Crab is a small crab that moves up and down the river. When slain, Scuttle Crab drops a large movement speed buff on the ground for your team, instead of this being an individual buff it stays on the ground and also grants small vision around the area.

In League of Legends there are 2 important neutral objectives, Baron Nashor and the Dragon. Baron Nashor is a giant worm monster. He is League's Roshan (notice how Nashor is a play on Roshan?) He spawns at the 20 minute mark and he typically requires all 5 members of your team to defeat. If Baron Nashor is slain, the team that kills him will gain a significant buff which empowers your teams champions and your minions for a short while.

Dragon provides up to 5 different permanent buffs to your team each time you kill him. The first time dragon is slain your team will gain 6% additional Attack Damage and Ability Power. The second time Dragon is slain your team will receive +15% damage to turrets and buildings. The third time Dragon is slain your team will receive +5% movement speed. The fourth time Dragon is slain your team will receive +15% damage to minions and monsters. And last but not least, the fifth time Dragon is slain your team receives a very powerful buff titled 'Aspect of the Dragon'. This buff doubles the strength of all the other dragon buffs and also causes your attacks to deal 150 true damage over 5 seconds. The fifth buff is not permanent and only lasts 180 seconds, however it is repeatable.

Vision

In league there are two types of wards, Stealth Wards and Vision Wards. Stealth Wards are green, they last 3 minutes and grant vision of the area, they can be destroyed in 3 hits if revealed by a Vision Ward or a Red Trinket. Vision Wards are pink and grant stealth detection in the area, they last forever but are not stealthed, they can be destroyed in 5 hits.

There are also 3 trinkets in league. Lens, Orb and Totem. These can all be upgraded once you reach level 9 in-game to improve their effectiveness. Lens is Red, Orb is Blue and the Totem is Yellow. Sweeping/Greater Lens allows for stealth detection in a small area when used. Scyring/Farsight Orb reveals a location on the map for 5 seconds (this is not global). Warding/Greater totem places a ward on the map where placed.

Items

Whilst watching Worlds you will probably hear a bunch of words that make no sense to you, such as Infinity Edge or Deathcap. Here's a quick rundown of a few popular items that will be used in-game during Worlds.

• InfinityEdge: A very powerful and expensive item made for Attack Damage champions. This item grants the player +80 attack damage, +20% critical strike chance and your critical strikes now do 250% damage instead of 200%.
    • RabadonsDeathcap: Commonly known as Deathcap or Rabadons, this is a very powerful and expensive item for Ability Power champions. This item grants the player +120 Ability Power and amplifies all their Ability Power by +35%.
    • Sightstone: Sightstone is an item that is typically built on Support champions and sometimes Jungle champions. This item holds 4 charges of Wards that allows the player to place a Ward when used and grants health. Upon use a charge will be consumed and Sightstone can be refreshed by returning to base. Sightstone can also be upgraded to Ruby Sightstone to increase the charges to 5 and grants additional health.
    • Zhonya'sHourglass: Commonly known as Zhonyas, this item is a very powerful expensive item for Ability Power champions. This item grants the player 100 Ability Power and 50 Armor and has a Unique Active. When activated, the player will become untargetable and invulnerable for 2.5 seconds. This effect makes the player golden for the 2.5 seconds.

There are tons more items in League of Legends and I don't want this getting too long, if you go to Tiers on this page you can view all the different items in League of Legends. http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Item

Key words/terms

• Minions - Minions are the small red and blue things you see in the lanes. Killing them grants the player gold.

• CS - CS or Creep Score is the amount of Minion kills that a player has.
    • Last hit - Last hitting is the act of waiting till a minion has low health to be able to kill it with one basic attack.
    • Gank - A teammate going to the top, mid or bottom lane to help kill the enemy.
    • Armor + Magic Resist: Armor is a stat that provides protection to Physical Damage. Magic Resist provides protection to abilities that deal Magic Damage
    • Lane swap - A player not playing in the usual lane. E.G. A top lane champion playing in the bottom lane whilst the teams Bottom lane champions play in the top lane.
    • Recall - An ability that allows you to go back to your base after channeling for 8 seconds.
    • Flash - A spell that allows the player to instantly move a short distance with a 5 minute cooldown.
    • Teleport - A spell that allows the player to teleport to an allied tower, ward or minion with a 5 minute cooldown. If a player teleports to an allied tower, the cooldown of teleport is reduced by 60 seconds.
    • Cooldown - When an ability/spell is used it cannot be used again for a certain amount of time, the Cooldown is that amount of time.
    • Turret/tower - The big towers in the lanes that do damage to minions and champions, They must be destroyed in order to destroy the enemies base.
    • Inhibitor - The inhibitors are three hexagonal structures that must be destroyed in order to destroy the enemies base. Destroying them grants your team Super minions that will spawn.
    • Nexus - The nexus is the big structure with a giant crystal at the back of the base. Destroying the enemies Nexus is the main goal of the game and must be destroyed in order to win (Unless the enemy team surrenders).

Additional information!

The Teams are organized by Seed standings in the groups. For example, Fnatic are at the top of Group B because they are the Number 1 Seed for Europe.

• True Damage: True Damage is a type of damage that certain spells and attacks use. True Damage completely ignores Armour and Magic Resist. This means an ability that deals True Damage will deal the exact amount of damage that it says.

• Movement Speed: Movement speed is the rate at which your champion moves. Boots are a core item on every champion that provide an amount of movement speed with different unique effects.
    • Attack Speed: Attack Speed is the rate of fire that your champion has. 2.000 Attack Speed would mean your champion fires 2 basic attacks a second. Attack Damage Carries are the main champions that use Attack Speed items.

The buff from Red Brambleback (Red buff) also increases your health regen.

Pick and Ban phase

During League of Legends matches, players go through a Pick and Ban phase before you start the game. This is where players choose which champions they want to play and which champions they want to ban. Teams get 3 bans each per game.

Pick and Ban in League works like this: Teams will take it turns banning champions until 6 bans have been made. The team on the left side will ban first, then the team on the right and so on. Once bans are done, the team on the left will pick a champion first. Then 2 players from the right side will pick, then 2 players from the left side, then 2 players from the right side, again 2 players from the left and last but not least the final person on the right side will pick a champion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember reading a while ago that the meta in League is very stagnant, usually a group of 20-30 heroes constantly being played with little variation. By comparison, if I recall correctly, only 2-3 heroes went unpicked in The International this year.

Is this true? And if it is, has Riot done anything to try and combat this?

I honestly don't really watch the League pro scene because I find the matches boring to watch, but I guess I might check this out. I don't know why, but I just find Dota 2 to be significantly more fun to watch for me.

JonTheKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually it would be more accurate to say that only 20-30 champions don't get played in a season. For example in the 2015 Sprint Split alone there were 81 unique Picks or Bans of 127 champions. (Source) Over the course of a season I'd imagine it would be a bit higher but I can't find any stats for the 2015 season as a whole.

That being said the meta overall is somewhat stale. Usually the same type of lane setup in each match with the only major change up being lane swaps. Riot is trying to do something about it by trying to make it so there are more options in items (adding some more unique actives) and champion diversity by reworking older problematic champions into roles not normally seen in LoL (Mordekaiser now a duo-laner in bot).

Regardless of it's meta issues I've been playing since mid-2009 plus watch the LoL Championship Series every week and I've never gotten bored of it.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#C9WIN

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Good clean right up, coming from a League player. I can't seem to catch the matches live, but from the VODs I've seen, this Worlds is amazing. Hopefully the hype doesn't fizzle out and have the finals be a 3-0 (3-1) stomp like the past couple years.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

I'm hoping the hype train for C9 can continue. Want an American team to win for once. It won't fucking happen, but I can dream. I mean, even the Rangers pulled themselves out of the dirt into the playoffs, right?

Meanwhile, tomorrow is going to be nothing but Free-S-M giving away all the booty to their opponents.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

A LOL player I was once flatmates with had a Fnatic hoodie and at one point someone ran up to him in public and said "awesome hoodie man!" so I guess that means I should cheer for them if anybody.

JonTheKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad outcome for the NA teams even though they had a great start week one... Time to root for EU! Let's go Origen and Fnatic!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP NA's hopes and dreams. Looks like another SKT stomp 3-0 for this year. Orgin will lose in semis and i think FNC will lose in quarter. I miss Worlds being in NA cause we got to play with the KR pros in soloq

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Now that's the Fnatic I was hoping to see at Worlds. Great series against EDG, a Fnatic vs SKT finals would be sweet given how things went at MSI. Or maybe Fnatic vs Origen... :D

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

@jontheknight: A stale/stable meta, at least for lane assignments, probably works in LoL's favor. Having to deal with a flexible meta, or one that random players try to create without the proper foundation, would be a nightmare for casual players.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.