Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

League of Legends story at the top of ESPN.com.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Shit-storm incoming..

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Can we skip the part where people have a stick up their ass about the word "sport" and just acknowledge that this is pretty damn cool? It's fine if you don't like League. I don't like Baseball, but I don't care if people cover it however they want.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hassun

I read it earlier, it's quite good. Profile of a top player who seeks to regain his former glory.

Korean professional gaming is so damn brutal.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yep, wasn't sure if this was normal since I happened to visit ESPN.com for the first time earlier.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By billymaysrip

When did Espn look so good? The last time I used to browse the site regularly was when Hunter S. Thompson used to write on Page 2. Smart of them to go the human route, like how Free To Play did it - you can write an article about just the stats of Lebron, and no one will complain, but just the stats of LoL isn't enough.

LoL being a "sport/esport" doesn't seem that weird for me. What's weird is when Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Phantoms calls their small community tournament "Summer Games" and insist on calling their community "sports fans."

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

This isn't quite of a shock as you might think. The choosing of the latest Madden cover polls are extensively covered on the front cover of ESPN each year. The realm between sports and video games has been lessening with each year. You also have to think about it like this, in the US the only major sport really being aired regularly would be baseball. You do have things like tennis and golf tournaments which hog up a majority of air space but those only happen a few weeks each month. This makes alternative competitive activities like poker and moba competition that more prevalent during the summer time. I mean for the longest time I remember during those lazy summer days in high school I could regularly turn on ESPN and be watching a dog competition or footage from the And 1 mix tape tour where ATL's finest Hot Sauce would literally be double dribble with each crossover.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well ESPN saw fit to televise things Like Poker in the past so I say

No Caption Provided

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I imagine this is going to go about as well as when they had Dota on ESPN 3 or whatever it is they had.

Still cool though.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faker is a pretty good player. Dude stomped soloq when he was in NA for worlds. His mechanics are sick. Glad ESPN is giving a little respect to league, more people watch it than many sporting events

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faker is a pretty good player. Dude stomped soloq when he was in NA for worlds. His mechanics are sick. Glad ESPN is giving a little respect to league, more people watch it than many sporting events

As someone who've only seen the daily dota stuff and watched a bit of the international tourney do you remember what the numbers were like on average for viewers?

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird. And crazy how well researched and written the article was. I guess I'm okay with this. I feel like it'll cross the line for me though if they start showing highlights on SportsCenter.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very cool. I live in a smaller town in Pennsylvania, and this is starting to look like the future I wanted. Where "sports bars" aren't always filled with people watching football, basketball, or any other physical sport. It's almost always recaps and such, and e-sports is a lot more capable of saturation throughout the day for a full channel than physical sports are (taking in cost of production into consideration). It'll be really cool if this stuff starts seeding it's way into mainstream culture.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That's a cool article. I don't care enough about LoL or anything to read all of it, but props to them for giving it so much time.

That header image is really cool too, I think.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: during season 3 worlds, the one faker one in fact, we had upwards of 32million world wide. I think Season 4 had a drop to 27, but the format was different.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

ESPN has Poker...might as well add MOBAs at that point

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

My favorite part about ESPN covering esports is the comments. People losing their minds and yelling about how "ITS NOT A SPORT AHHHHH". Its similar to when ESPN covered this past Wrestlemania. Oh it amuses me so.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed that article, as someone with now LoL/MOBA experience. Looks really slick too. Looking forward to future stuff from them.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nice article. Faker is god.

TN04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TN04

This is a really detailed and nice article. As someone that follows league (including the korean leagues), it was great that it seemed as if the writer knew what they were talking about and completely ignored the debate of is it a sport or not.

To give context to the article about the korean exodus, back in late 2014 the korean teams were extremely dominant (Faker's team did not even make it into the top 3 in korea). After the world championships, the chinese teams imported about 20 of the korean regions top players using large salaries generated by Chinese streaming services trying to get the best players to stream on their services (Dade, another superstar player had over 1 million concurrent viewers, most on twitch is about 30,000). Faker, being the best player was assumed to be offered alot of money to leave to china. Right now, it seems as if the chinese have matched the strength of korean teams (SKT finished second in the last major tournament after a rough schedule of back to back tournaments in different countries). Some korean talent has also been imported by EU and NA region to strengthen their talent aswell.

The article pretty much explains most of his strengths. One thing that strikes out to me is that he seems to make the best decision in the smallest of time frames. This is the clip referred in the article.

Loading Video...

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ESPN televised the Heroes of the Storm tournament a couple months ago, i remember being really confused when i saw HoTS was on TV at a bar i normally go to.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I don't like LoL but it's almost worth it just to see people losing their shit over the placement of this news.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

It was a pretty good article, but the best one I've read so far was the Cloud 9 story published by Playboy published last year.
    Gotta love the outcry though, people losing their shit over this is hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.