Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

In the sequel to Valve's cooperative zombie shooter, a new team of four ragtag survivors must work together to survive the apocalypse, facing new Infected threats as they fight their way across the Southern United States.

Left 4 Dead 2 Haters: Read This, from Gabe Newell of Valve

• 52 results
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

And Quit Being a Bunch of Ungrateful People

There's not much for me to say here that Gabe Newell doesn't say in an interview with G4TV's Billy Berghammer. The interview is here.
    Left 5 Dead is still a better name.

But here, I'll be nice and give you a few quick pieces that I think are sort of the focal point.
    • Left 4 Dead 2 is the result of the original L4D team wanting to create more and greater content. The fact that they turned it out so quickly is only a result of their dedication to the project, not out of half-assed money grabbing. As a side note, if you played through L4D's commentary, you would know that The Director makes it much quicker and easier to make new levels, as it takes a large portion of the placework out of the equation.
    • Just because we're getting Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't mean Left 4 Dead is going to suffer the XBOX/360 conversion situation; it's not just going to come to a crashing halt for something new and shiny. There's still going to be new content added to the original Left 4 Dead. While I understand there's still a fear of "splitting the player base" (not that I've ever had a problem finding PUG's), that's like bitching that Halo 3 was going to split the Halo 2 user base. You're just being childish at that point, honestly.
    • Xbox is a problem. There is no way around it. Left 4 Dead is a huge presence on the 360 and Microsoft has a bunch of weird rules set in place to keep the regular kinds of content Valve wants to push onto the platform. Just look at Team Fortress 2. It hasn't seen any of the class updates at all. Hell the Pyro still doesn't even have a compression blast to his flamethrower. There's also the problem of people not having hard drives and not being able to receive the content due to various problems, none the least of which are M'soft's restrictions and practices. Valve is trying to find solutions, but it's not always so easy.
    • And on a personal note from me: has Valve ever put out a bad game? I mean really put out a bad game? I think at this point they've earned enough "brownie points" with the years of absolutely top-notch, high-quality products and services. Is the benefit of the doubt to much to ask?

Well that's Gabe Newell's interview and my added thoughts. Any of your own you'd like to slap on down in that perty little comments section? When you take a deep breath and think about it, are you really upset that you're getting another awesome game? I mean, nobody got upset when Gears of War 2 got announced. Nobody was complaining that "oh now we'll stop getting Gears of War 1 content," which by the way they still had to pay for. Can't we all just have fun? Even a little?

-"I'm on the outside looking in." Oingo Boingo - On the Outside
    Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

There's not much for me to say here that Gabe Newell doesn't say in an interview with G4TV's Billy Berghammer. The interview is here.

But here, I'll be nice and give you a few quick pieces that I think are sort of the focal point.
    • Left 4 Dead 2 is the result of the original L4D team wanting to create more and greater content. The fact that they turned it out so quickly is only a result of their dedication to the project, not out of half-assed money grabbing. As a side note, if you played through L4D's commentary, you would know that The Director makes it much quicker and easier to make new levels, as it takes a large portion of the placework out of the equation.
    • Just because we're getting Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't mean Left 4 Dead is going to suffer the XBOX/360 conversion situation; it's not just going to come to a crashing halt for something new and shiny. There's still going to be new content added to the original Left 4 Dead. While I understand there's still a fear of "splitting the player base" (not that I've ever had a problem finding PUG's), that's like bitching that Halo 3 was going to split the Halo 2 user base. You're just being childish at that point, honestly.
    • Xbox is a problem. There is no way around it. Left 4 Dead is a huge presence on the 360 and Microsoft has a bunch of weird rules set in place to keep the regular kinds of content Valve wants to push onto the platform. Just look at Team Fortress 2. It hasn't seen any of the class updates at all. Hell the Pyro still doesn't even have a compression blast to his flamethrower. There's also the problem of people not having hard drives and not being able to receive the content due to various problems, none the least of which are M'soft's restrictions and practices. Valve is trying to find solutions, but it's not always so easy.
    • And on a personal note from me: has Valve ever put out a bad game? I mean really put out a bad game? I think at this point they've earned enough "brownie points" with the years of absolutely top-notch, high-quality products and services. Is the benefit of the doubt to much to ask?

Well that's Gabe Newell's interview and my added thoughts. Any of your own you'd like to slap on down in that perty little comments section? When you take a deep breath and think about it, are you really upset that you're getting another awesome game? I mean, nobody got upset when Gears of War 2 got announced. Nobody was complaining that "oh now we'll stop getting Gears of War 1 content," which by the way they still had to pay for. Can't we all just have fun? Even a little?

Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By torus

Agreed.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Systech

I really hope people will listen to him.

DryPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By DryPenguin
    @systech said:
    " I really hope people will listen to him. "

Doubt that will happen.

I never got the uproar over L4D2 anyway.  I was pretty excited when it got announced.  I think most people just whine because they can
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RsistncE

So essentially because a company has been great to the consumer for so long...it's alright to fuck that same consumer in the ass once in a while because they have "brownie points"?

Neither of them really addressed the main concerns of the people pissed at L4D2 and that is, "WHY can't this content be released for L4D2 as an update (free or not free, it doesn't really matter)?" If you read the interview Newell dances around this issue and presents the straw man argument that they're still supporting L4D, blah blah blah. Sorry, you didn't answer the FUCKING question Gabe.

I don't want to make this post long because I know where I stand on the issue alongside 25,000 others (feasibly many more).

Am I upset over a new awesome game coming out? Nope not at all.

What am I upset over? I'm upset that this content is being released in a second separate fully priced package which will conceivably split the community down the middle (Was Halo 3 released a year after Halo 2? No. Was Halo 3 developed on the same engine as Halo 2? No. Could any of the Halo 3 content have been released for Halo 2 as DLC? No. There is no comparison between these two incidences so the Halo point is moot) when the content could be released as an expansion for a game (and priced as such) which was sparse as far as content is concerned and for which content was PROMISED (free, but I'll let that pass).

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Amilmitt

i think the reason they made a new game was they got carried away with making stuff and quickly had the amount of data for a new game, i dont know about you but i dont really want to download a 4 gb+  file of what l4d2 is going to be.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @DrRandle said:

I'm going to flag this with a question mark. Yes, free X-Box live content is rare and difficult to get passed, but its not unheard of. Look at what Criterion was able to do for a year.

The more I read about Valve's plans for Left 4 Dead 2, the more I come to the conclusion that L4D2 isn't the problem so much that the first game was rushed to market in fear of not having a fall product in 2008. And I'm sure its sequel will be a fine, most likely improved experience; I just am frustrated that instead of taking those extra months of development time to get it perfect, that they pushed it out and seemingly started working on the next title right away.

I think the "boycott" talk is silly and really won't accomplish anything (especially when half of those people are going to buy the game anyway.) But I also think that people on the boycott-boycott side need to really stop defending Valve just because "They've never done anything wrong." Left 4 Dead, while a fantastic experience, fell short of its full potential. This sequel is a realization of that full potential, and I'm excited to play it. But I think it sets an unnerving trend for a development house within Valve to ship a game that they are so quick to turn around and talk yang about.

EDIT: Also, as Rsistnce pointed out, both of the sequels to Halo came multiple years after their previous installment; same for Gears of War. L4D2, if it hits the initially announced launch date, will be coming out LESS than a year after the original. That is some Activision Call of Duty territory, and even that is operating with two development houses.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RsistncE
    @TheKidNixon: Very well put. I think the boycott isn't going to do anything as far as sales go...I think it's more of a medium through which fans can let Valve know of their displeasure.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrRandle

So. Okay. Do you boycott Madden games? Those come out ever year, and have for over a decade now. People seem to love those just fine. The people who are really into that series dig all the little this's and that's, and the occasional leap and bound. Guitar Hero's do it, Rock Band does it. It's not just Valve. God forbid that they make ONE franchise something that's supposed to be their cash cow, and suddenly THE SKY IS FALLING!

Valve is out to shove giant red hot cacti up all of our asses and get the last laugh all the way to the bank! Certainly they've NEVER listened to the people, nope not Valve. They're just a bunch of money grubbing whores.

That's what you are saying. Listen to yourself. That is EXACTLY what is coming out. IF you truly truly believe that, if in your cold, lonely little existance, that is honestly your thought process, than my hopes and prayers go out to you because you are just in for a world of dissapointment in this life, always expecting freebies.

Personally I don't think it's asking much that we pay for content. Only wanting free shit makes you a whiny little brat. Of course it's nice, I love free shit too, but if a developer is going to make something and ask me to shed some dough... It's sort of the capitalist thing to do, to say yes.

Also, I should have made this more clear, thank you KidNixon... Free content IS possible, but generally you don't get a grandiose amount of it AND you can't get achievements. Who doesn't love the points? Also, Criterion is only given us a few free car and bike packs. Then they start asking for money for the super special cars, and you think Big Surf Isle's coming free? You're fucking looney. Does this mean we boycott the new Need for Speed game because they're charged us money for big Surf Isle? Swing and a miss, but at least you're thinking. I can appreciate that.

steeeeeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By steeeeeve

what concerns me isn't so much the whole idea of "splitting the player base."  i'm more worried that 8 months ago, i bought L4D, and in 4 months, it's going to be essentially a glorified expansion pack for a game that i haven't bought yet.  i like the fact that valve is actually putting out 2 games within 4 years of each other, but if you're going to neglect one of those games content-wise, i'd prefer it if you left that second game for another few months or so and maybe slipped in a few more stages for the first game, or some sort of DLC in that vein (new characters, weapons, zombies, modes, whatever floats your boat).

oh, and about that whole "we're still going to support L4D thing?  you've had 2 updates for this thing in the last year, one of which was hardly made a difference in gameplay.  i'll believe it when i see it.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrRandle

How is it neglecting the game content wise? 5 brand new levels, a bunch of new weapons, a whole bunch of new modes, more story... What is the problem here? That's more than what the original game offered, and you had no problem plunking down 50/60 bucks then. What's changed? If you're not ready for a new L4D, fine, then just don't buy it. I don't understand why there has to be this frothing outrage against Valve, saying that they all want to Slap Chop our testicles for their own amusement by putting out a new game.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Pibo47

Very interesting. I still want the old campaigns and characters for said campaigns in l4d2.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By m1k3

Whats wrong with just adding new content through updates? adding new characters, updating the ai director, new maps, etc., isn't that all possible to do through just updating?

Criterion was able to add a lot of stuff to Burnout Paradise through updates, granted they are different games. their patches go way deeper than just adding cars and bikes with stuff like tweaking the physics, tweaking the events. Who knows if that restart function was built onto the disk or not, but they were able to add that after all the complaints.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By End_Boss
    @DrRandle said:
    " So. Okay. Do you boycott Madden games? Those come out ever year, and have for over a decade now. People seem to love those just fine. The people who are really into that series dig all the little this's and that's, and the occasional leap and bound. Guitar Hero's do it, Rock Band does it. It's not just Valve."
    Regardless of the rest of your argument, this bit in particular doesn't work. Madden is re-released every year with noticeably improved graphics and updated rosters, playbooks and stats. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are two franchises that are widely considered to be overdone, so they don't work either.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By tekmojo
    @DrRandle said:
    "

Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr
    "
    To start first, I read the interview, absolutely nothing important was answered. Gabe tip-toed his way around all of the questions asked. For him to say that they were so enthusiastic about creating more Left4Dead is a horrible counter argument to the speedy sequel question. Honestly, tell me one developer today that isn't religiously fanatic about creating and playing and perfecting their game. Game developers are always hard at work on sequels as soon as the previous title is released. In most cases they set them up; as was the case with Left4Dead's unique gameplay.

Everyone figured regular content was on the way once bugs, modes, and maps we're ironed out. Gameplay mechanics were tailored to, and a great foundation was set in stone. 

Now to move on to DLC. Once again, the way he answers the question regarding DLC for both L4D and L4D2 is interesting. Like you mentioned DrRandle, the Xbox's ability to store and obtain new DLC is kind of jarred at the moment. I like the fact they want to give the same full experience to everyone who has a copy, but they need to find a way to compromise or it will be Team Fortress 2 all over again. The only way Valve will ever be happy is if they get Steam on consoles. That's what you're really trying to say Gabe, right?

I play Left4Dead on the PC mostly, so I'm not as concerned with the DLC as Xbox users are. We get mods, we get faster patches/updates, more reliable servers, etc. I'm not sure why this has to come back to hard drive space, that shouldn't be a problem. If you really want to get some extra space you can go to the store and buy the Official Xbox Memory Card (512MB) for Live Marketplace downloads. On the back of box, just make sure you make it apparent to buyers that a future stream of DLC is to be expected.

But maybe it's more than that? I don't really know and I just hope this doesn't hurt the community that much. Talks about the player base being split up is a problem that I am concerned with as well. I know Left4Dead 2 will be great, Valve rarely disappoints. It's just that they seem focused to make some great changes that could really help Left4Dead out a lot. If it absolutely won't work in the game because of some kind of AI director restriction for example, then by all means don't put it in. But new weapons, monsters, and characters seem like it could be possible cross-game content. Then on top of that try to crank out a new campaign for the first? I don't think the majority of the people with complaints (not the boycotters) are asking for too much.

DryPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DryPenguin
    @End_Boss:  You clearly don't play Madden  "noticeably improved graphics?"  lols.  You are comparing updates rosters to the work put into L4D?  Changing database entries for names and stats is the same as what we have seen from L4D2 thus far?  As for Guitar Hero and Rock Band, which have had multiple releases and multiple SKUs, suddenly the SECOND L4D is too much?  That isn't logic

@RsistncE:   Holy entitlement Batman, he thinks it should all be free!  I'm sorry, but what world of gaming did you grow up in?  Maybe my context is skewed because I started on the Atari 2600 and think it is pretty f'ing cool that game developers can even add content like the already have in L4D.  Forgive me sir, but I don't mind paying for someone elses work.  I easily, let me repeat that EASILY, feel like I got my monies worth from the first Left 4 Dead.  I love the game and spent/spending a LOT of hours playing it. 

If you disagree, that is your right, you can have your opinion.  Don't buy the next one.  I however will be pre-ordering, AND thanking Valve for continuing to make great games that I get a ton of enjoyment out of.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrRandle

I'm just going to say this. Modern Warfare 1 came out. A year later so did another Call of Duty. Now we're getting Modern Warfare 2. It's all the same engine. It could have been DLC by the very same arguments that L4D2 could be more DLC. All of it could have been. Same engine, maybe some tweaks, few new guns, and a new story. By your logic this is the situation. So where are the pitchforks? Where are the torches? Where are the Slap Chops? (what the fuck is it with me and the Slap Chop?)

*Deep breath*

The game's going to come out in November. It's gonna sell millions of copies, and I will be able to rest easy to know that not only was I right, but the game is a blast and me and millions of other people are going to enjoy it. You vocal minority with your bitching and your worthless little rally's don't mean anything. Deep breath. Deep breath.

You guys... I dont' know why I let the internet get to me so much. And I'll say it, I appologize if anybody took my rants and mudslinging personally, that's not my intention. I just want to bring civility and logic to the internet, and that's the one place it clearly has no home. I'm sorry, I really am. But it's just not worth this stress from all the crazy. I keep thinking you guys are going to make more of an impact than you are, but you know what? I was wrong. Valve will be laughing all the way to the bank. And I'll be laughing all the way to my computer. And you'll all be red faced in the middle (those of you who don't turncoat and buy it day one, anyway. Though I would only respect you more for doing so). I can't wait to play that game. Take care, folks.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz

I have faith in Valve, I think more people should as well.

DryPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DryPenguin
    @Hamz:  What possible reason does anyone have to not have faith in Valve?
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Alexander
    @DrRandle said:
    " How is it neglecting the game content wise? 5 brand new levels, a bunch of new weapons, a whole bunch of new modes, more story... What is the problem here? "

It's a different game, read what they guy said. Slowly.

Now Valve have said they are going to continue support for L4D ONE, if this means new content - a map, some weapons, a less screwed up matchmaking system, a way to get everyone playing custom maps and better mod support then that's great. That's exactly the kind of thing they said they would be doing when they first released the game.

Also; Modern Warfare 2 is the direct sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Not World at War; that game has nothing to do with it. Infinity Ward have always put out their games on a two year cycle.You might like to also consider that CoD4 wasn't short on the content like L4D is. An entire single player campaign, deep customisation, level progression and perk system, 16 multiplayer maps and a lot of game modes. The game shipped and was a very complete package. Left 4 Dead was not and should never have been at full price.
    DryPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DryPenguin
    @Alexander:   Pretty subjective opinion now how much constitutes a full game.  As I said, I had no problem with the amount of content in L4D.  I have played hours and hours and hours and hours of L4D. 
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Alexander
    @DryPenguin: It is subjective, but I've spent well over 100 hours playing Call of Duty 4 multiplayer since its release. If multiplayer was all it had I wouldn't have paid full price for it either. The amount of time you get enjoying the game can only add up to so much in terms of price. At some point you have to consider how much content is actually there. Left 4 Dead is a full game (so is Poker on Yahoo Games) but it is not worth $60 (in my opinion of course).
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Yeah, it may be half-assed, but everyone is making such a huge deal out of it... Just don't buy it, no need to continually whine about it...

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By mracoon

I still don't know why people are angry about this game.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The issue people have is that the content in Left 4 Dead was fairly minimal - and this new content should have been added to it to make it a complete product - which it clearly could be, considering how similar it is to the original. If they could make these changes in 1 year there obviously isnt anything too substantial. At the moment it seems like Valve is asking me to pay full retail price for something that looks and sounds very much like an expansion pack.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Even the first game wasn't full price, this probably won't be either, so you can label it an expansion pack if you want.

FrumpyBiscuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FrumpyBiscuts
    @Sweep said:
    "The issue people have is that the content in Left 4 Dead was fairly minimal - and this new content should have been added to it to make it a complete product - which it clearly could be, considering how similar it is to the original. If they could make these changes in 1 year there obviously isnt anything too substantial. At the moment it seems like Valve is asking me to pay full retail price for something that looks and sounds very much like an expansion pack."

the fact that they could make L4D 2 in a year or a bit less just means that Valve still has the talent it always has. As soon as people saw that L4D 2 actually was real, they all cried foul. Just because L4D 2 is coming out very quickly after L4D doesn't mean that it won't be good. Personally I would rather have had Half Life 3 or episode 3, but L4D 2 is still ok. Plus if they are going to keep making content, then why crae about L4D 2 at all. If you don't like it, don't buy the game and get the DLC for the orginal. Valve is the only company that I trust when they say they are going to keep making content for a game that they will. It's been a little under 2 years and they still keep stuff coming out for TF2.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By killdave

I'd buy it

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @DrRandle A couple points to make on the points you made after I went to bed:

1. Actually, lots of people criticized/still criticize the Madden games for coming out with a full-priced product each year with minimal changes. And their sales numbers have been slipping, marginally, the last few years before Peter Moore stepped in and argued that EA Sports could do better. That really can go for the entire EA Sports line. The rhythm music genre has been equally criticized for releasing new, big box editionsevery year. You remember that whole crying out we have every November of "No more plastic instruments!" Rock Band is a great example of this, where they have a solid model for using the game as a franchise, only to release a Rock Band 2 a year later with little to no updates to the actual gameplay. (As a sidenote, I absolutely understand from a marketing and licensing perspective why Beatles: Rock Band is a seperate product) See also Tony Hawk, which got so stale that they had to shut down and reinvent from the ground up. Call of Duty even has two development teams, just because Infinity Ward can't/refuses to develop a full-priced game in a single year. And just so you don't think I'm being specifically prejudiced against Valve, I think the fact that Bungie is releasing what I can only assume is two full-priced Halo games in a year window as kinda fucked up too.
    2. I'm not even one of those people who think that all of the content that would make up L4D2 should be given out for free; offer some expansions for free, and others as payed downloadable akin to Big Surf Island or the expansions Fallout 3 has rolled out in the past year. Keep players engaged. Even from a business perspective, this makes more sense; in the end, you might be paying the same amount as a full priced game, but your audience at least feels like you're supporting your lat game, not leaving it to die. Big Surf Island, for instance, would be an example of introducing a new "movie" with new playable characters; adding melee weaons to the game would be analog to adding bikes. Add those little touches over the year since release, then this November release a two-movie pack for 15-20 dollars. All the goodwill you'ver generated over the past year will be rewarded when the vast majority of the people you've had playing your game pay for the new content.
    3. I'm not saying that L4D2 won't make lots of money; the first game was a huge runaway success, I expect its sequel to be the exact same. Nor do I think that Valve needs to be punished or anything equally sadistic. I just find the apologist hero-worship of Valve unsettling. They made a mistake, in my estimation, releasing a game that they could so quickly turn around and "improve" so dramatically they feel the need to put out a new boxed copy. I'm positive Valve will still make among the best games in their genre. Steam is still the industry standard for downloadable content for computers. I am not decrying the entirety of the Valve company; I just find this release very unValve like behavior, especially when you compare to how they've supported Team Fortress 2 on the PC. When Activision, EA Sports or any other myriad of developers exhibit this form of behavior, we criticize them for releasing new games too soon. When Valve does the exact same thing, we're expected to wave our hands and say "Its Valve, they can do no wrong."

DryPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DryPenguin
    @Sweep:  So much opinion in your post.  I disagree with almost all of it.  Which is why these topics are so popular.  It is all subjective and there are many many people on both sides of the fence.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Snail

I was never against L4D2, but I don't see how this post would change my opinion much.

I think they are releasing it a bit too soon is all, I have barely played L4D.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I think this all could have been avoided if Valve put the release date for L4D2 to come out Spring 2010.
    I mean, even if we got no new content at all for the first one, at least people couldn't argue that it is coming out "too soon."

IMO it was a stupid move for Valve, but the game will probably be delayed anyways.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mordukai

Gabe Newell is the one biggest douches of the video game industry and I will not buy/play any of Valves Games anymore. He hates everything Microsoft, Apple, Windows, Mac, Sony, PS3, 360....it looks like that the only thing he likes are doughnut (yup I went there). I am just so sick of his bullshit. With every interview he does I just hate him more and more. 

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Shut it Doug. You jipped all L4D owners. Let Valve feel it by you the consumer boycotting L4D2. BOYCOTT!!

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DrRandle
    @Mordukai: Low blow, and I'd appreciate it if you keep your comments off of my blog from now on. Thanks.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By mracoon

Left 4 Dead has actually received updates quicker then TF2 and as they've promised there still going to release more I can't see hw people can say they're not supporting the game because they really are.

Also L4D2 doesn't split the user base, no new game does. When a company releases a new game in a series they aren't splitting the user base they're just creating a new one. Paid DLC maps or weapons on the other hand are an examples of something that do split the user base as some people playing the game have things that others don't and so therefore can't play with those people in the same game. L4D2 in no way impedes your experience of L4D as the game hasn't changed. This also explains why they're hesitant over releasing content through the 360 because if they give some user things that others haven't got then they would be splitting their audience.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mordukai
    @DrRandle: Sure thing. Oops, I just did what you asked me not to do. 
    steeeeeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By steeeeeve
    @Alexander: thank you.  i was about to rely to his post, but you totally saved me the trouble. 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax

I'm actually excited for this game.

Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Turtlefuzz

I still have plans to buy this, I really like the new melee mechanics, and I like the setting. As for the Daytime problem, I see nothing wrong with it. People love to complain, it's a fact. I think this game looks pretty good, even if it's a little unlike Valve. And while I prefer episodic gaming to a full price sequel, I'm not going to complain.

Overthinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Overthinking

To everyone who keeps complaining and is planning on boycotting this you're fucking retarded.  For starters, I doubt your boycott will work.  You'll just wait a few more days to buy it after all of your friends get it.  Secondly, let's assume your boycott is successful, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve just drops the entire series.  And finally, Valve has already said that L4D2 is going to experience updates similar to TF2, they update that game plenty.  I hope no one bitches when Valve doesn't release L4D3 in like ten years because that's the message you assholes are sending.

If you really hate it and you don't want it then don't fucking buy it, but don't complain when one of the best game developers is giving us yet another promising game.
    Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Teh_Eel
    @Overthinking said:
    " To everyone who keeps complaining and is planning on boycotting this you're fucking retarded.  For starters, I doubt your boycott will work.  You'll just wait a few more days to buy it after all of your friends get it.  Secondly, let's assume your boycott is successful, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve just drops the entire series.  And finally, Valve has already said that L4D2 is going to experience updates similar to TF2, they update that game plenty.  I hope no one bitches when Valve doesn't release L4D3 in like ten years because that's the message you assholes are sending.

If you really hate it and you don't want it then don't fucking buy it, but don't complain when one of the best game developers is giving us yet another promising game.
    "
    They also said there where going to bring out updates for L4D just like they are doing for TF2, so i really dont think there have any credibilty when they say they are going to do updates for L4D2. Also contant sequals are never a good thing because I makes a good game boring.
    Overthinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Overthinking
    @Teh_Eel: This is the first sequel.  They have made DLC already for L4D and are saying they'll continue to do it, so they haven't lied to anyone.  They don't have any credibility?  Tell that to Team Fortress and Half Life fans.  They tend to live up to their promises, if L4D2 comes out and it sucks then okay, but no one has even played it yet and everyone is jumping to conclusions.  Let's all just be happy that a sequel is actually coming instead of L4D fans being kept waiting like the Half Life fans were for Episode 3.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cspiffo

I love how all of these boycotters are trying to tell Gabe how Valve should be run.  The majority of these idio...people would run a business into the ground if they had one to run.

L4D2 looks to be a great game...Stop whinning about stupid things such as splitting up communities and crap.  Most online multiplayer game communities don't even come close to lasting a year in the first place.  You all will be eating crow after this game is released.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You're forgetting the part about L4D2 looking more or less exactly like L4D1 with different levels.  If you can put the sequel out before the prequel and most likely no one would say anything, there's a problem.
    That also, and the fact that L4D1 was, and is, hugely lacking in content for a full priced game.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Linkyshinks

Linkyshinks is: sickened by the reactions of some supposed Valve fans.

I'm really looking forward to the game, and new content which will arrive on both games in the future.

Valve<3

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Even the first game wasn't full price, this probably won't be either, so you can label it an expansion pack if you want. "
    The first game was 69.99$ and 49.99$ on xbox and pc...thats full price
    Overthinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Overthinking
    @SmugDarkLoser: Did you have fun playing it and did you feel it was worth your $60?  I will admit, L4D felt lacking in content, but I still spent a good thirty to forty hours playing it, which is far more than I spent on other games this time last year.  Fable 2, Force Unleashed, and other "big" games that came out last year were forgettable and I only got about a week of entertainment out of them.  Left 4 Dead was not one of these games and the fact that now I can get a sequel which looks even better than the original makes me very happy.

I'm having to debate between which games I want to buy in the Fall upon their release and which games I want to put off until early 2010, but L4D2 is a game I'll definitely be purchasing when it releases.  I imagine a large chunk of the "boycotters" and petitioners will probably do the same, or at least buy it within the first week.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kohe321

Gabe knows whats up. In valve we trust...

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Maru

Price it $29.99 then everyone will be happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.