Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Your Least Favourite Boss Zombie?

• 67 results
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Death_Burnout

I dont know about you but, The Boomer pisses me the hell off, out of all the Boss Zombies, he's the one that i have trouble with, just hearing his rancid belching from a mile away, to only find hes right next door, waiting for you to show up, and spawn a mad stack of zombies on your ass, damn, he makes you vigilant thats for sure. To make things worse the AI if being used have a hard time detecting him.

If he was all of a sudden gone from the game entirely, i wouldnt miss him. I would miss the Witch though, she makes multiple playthroughs really worth while.

So which Boss Zombie gets on your nerves? including versus if you like...

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

I like all the "bosses" ...they can all get on my nerves, but isn't that the point? I love them all and probably love the Boomer most of all.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Death_Burnout

Of course thats the point, who's to say its a bad thing. I Mean i love the Witch...because she can knock me down in one hit!! thats what i like! the more zombies the better! i love almost dying in this game, its what you're meant to do, but the Boomer...god damn i hate him. In the good way, in the "im playing on expert dont piss me off" way

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't really dislike any of the boss zombies, but the AI Director has an uncanny talent for placing the Witch right in the center of narrow corridors--more often than not, corridors down which I have to travel. 

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "I don't really dislike any of the boss zombies, but the AI Director has an uncanny talent for placing the Witch right in the center of narrow corridors--more often than not, corridors down which I have to travel. "
    Yeah its those moments i love, you just end up bitching at the AI Director " WHY did you put that there!?"
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Lunarbunny

As survivors, the boss I hate to encounter is the Boomer. I always misjudge the clean kill distance.

As infected, the boss I hate to play is the Hunter. The pounce always locks on to the wrong person (I'm really tired of trying to attack the last person standing and landing on the incapacitated person next to him, or stealing a kill from a smoker because I tried to jump over his target) and unless your team is working together or the enemy team really sucks, you're likely to die without doing much damage if any.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death_Burnout said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "I don't really dislike any of the boss zombies, but the AI Director has an uncanny talent for placing the Witch right in the center of narrow corridors--more often than not, corridors down which I have to travel. "
    Yeah its those moments i love, you just end up bitching at the AI Director " WHY did you put that there!?""
    I mean, I'll give the director it's due--it's a wonderful feature that I hope is implemented into more games in the future--but seeing the Witch cradling herself on the floor of this tiny hallway, when just past her I can see an open area apt enough for a full-scale battle, it's just heartbreaking. 
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By weltal

I love to hate all the infected, but I guess I'll have to say the Smoker. You're working to fight off the zombies swarming around you and all the sudden you start getting pulled backwards and every time that happens I'm just thinking "Wait, WTF is happening?!" By that point I can no longer fight back and realize I'm getting dragged away.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    Yeah its those moments i love, you just end up bitching at the AI Director " WHY did you put that there!?""
    I mean, I'll give the director it's due--it's a wonderful feature that I hope is implemented into more games in the future--but seeing the Witch cradling herself on the floor of this tiny hallway, when just past her I can see an open area apt enough for a full-scale battle, it's just heartbreaking. "
    Haha yeah im with ya, it can really get to you, especially when you really dont need her there, like really dont...

Weltal
    said:
    "I love to hate all the infected, but I guess I'll have to say the Smoker. You're working to fight off the zombies swarming around you and all the sudden you start getting pulled backwards and every time that happens I'm just thinking "Wait, WTF is happening?!" By that point I can no longer fight back and realize I'm getting dragged away."
    Yeah i'd say he's most problematic in the finale's and crescendo's, especially when he drags you way away from the safe zone, its a hell of a fight back to safety, thats if you make it back... :o
    adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By adam_grif

I hate playing as the Smoker. The tongue doesn't disable survivors quickly enough, and 99.999% of the time the only useful Function of the Smoker is to pick off some lone survivor, and then you still get killed 50% of the time after the tongue has latched on because the guy turns and blasts you with a shotty.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adam_grif said:
    "I hate playing as the Smoker. The tongue doesn't disable survivors quickly enough, and 99.999% of the time the only useful Function of the Smoker is to pick off some lone survivor, and then you still get killed 50% of the time after the tongue has latched on because the guy turns and blasts you with a shotty."
    Well, even boss-level zombies are still zombies.  They aren't supposed to be juggernauts of immovable kind, namely because that would give the infected a decidedly lop-sided advantage.  Valve has designed the experience so that the infected chip away at the survivors' health, rather than having a single boss single-handedly wipe the floor with the group. 
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Death_Burnout

I Will say the Tank is a one said juggernaut, on expert he's a real monster, i wouldn't know about versus since thats not my kinda thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The tank, the only really dangerous zombie.

ChestyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ChestyMcGee

Apart from the Tank, they're all really easy to defeat if you stick together - even on Expert. 

On expert, being hit by Boomer vile pretty much means you'll go down, depending on where you can hide and the Tank is pretty much guaranteed to down, and kill, at least two team members in my experience. I'm surprised by how easy the witch is to kill really - it might kill in one hit but if you croud around her with auto-shotguns she goes down really quickly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death_Burnout said:
    "I Will say the Tank is a one said juggernaut, on expert he's a real monster, i wouldn't know about versus since thats not my kinda thing."
    I actually have no idea what the Tank plays like in Versus mode.  I can't imagine it being as destructive as it's campaign counterpart, though.
    ChestyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ChestyMcGee
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    "I Will say the Tank is a one said juggernaut, on expert he's a real monster, i wouldn't know about versus since thats not my kinda thing."
    I actually have no idea what the Tank plays like in Versus mode.  I can't imagine it being as destructive as it's campaign counterpart, though."
    I've seen some footage of it in Versus and, although I'm not entirely sure the person playing was any good, it doesn't seem anyway near as much as a monster as it does in campaign. One survivor back-pedalling manages to kill it with an M16 while only getting hit once and not going down.
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I love playing as the smoker but I also hate going against it. I hate that sometimes it can be at places where you can even see it on a building and it will kill you because your teammates can't see it, but still, this game kicks ass.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sarnecki

I'll say that Smoker seems to show up at the worst possible moment, every time.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kush

I honestly probably hate the tank more than any other boss...especially on Expert. Trying to kill that thing on Expert playing solo can be a bitch at times.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Death_Burnout
    ChestyMcGee said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    I actually have no idea what the Tank plays like in Versus mode.  I can't imagine it being as destructive as it's campaign counterpart, though."
    I've seen some footage of it in Versus and, although I'm not entirely sure the person playing was any good, it doesn't seem anyway near as much as a monster as it does in campaign. One survivor back-pedalling manages to kill it with an M16 while only getting hit once and not going down."
    Yeah good to know, from what i saw in the footage he didn't look as much of a threat in versus and rightly so, he'd be like the AWP sniper in Counter-Strike otherwise.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I'd say the biggest pain in the ass is the Smoker, but I love him all the same.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sarnecki

A tank on Versus in close quarters is still a recipe for doom.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Sarnecki said:
    "A tank on Versus in close quarters is still a recipe for doom."
    Oh no doubt, but that bastard has had me on the floor in no time.
    NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

That darn smoker... It just has to ruin everyone's fun. The other zombies are nice to him but... he doesnt really get invited to any parties...

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Yit

I hate the smokers. They're pretty bad (as in worthless).

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Death_Burnout
    NinjaSquirrel said:
    "That darn smoker... It just has to ruin everyone's fun. The other zombies are nice to him but... he doesnt really get invited to any parties..."
    Haha, so hes like the simulant from Red Dwarf series 7....

Ok i just totally nerded my self out there...whoa!
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clarke0

All the zombies are fun to play as in vs. if you have a team that works well together. The tank is a real asshole on expert.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper
    Death_Burnout said:
    "NinjaSquirrel said:
    "That darn smoker... It just has to ruin everyone's fun. The other zombies are nice to him but... he doesnt really get invited to any parties..."

Ok i just totally nerded my self out there...whoa!"

Stopped watching when Kochanski came in and ruined it all.
    Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Rapture

The stupid hunters, they are overly fast and i always take damage from it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the tank. It does an unfair amount of damage indoors, and it's just not fun to kill.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PureRok

The witch is hot. I'd do her.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kush
    PureRok said:
    "The witch is hot. I'd do her."
    Would you "do her" while listening to My Chemical Romance?
    adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By adam_grif

In VS mode, the damage dealt by infected is approximately equal to Normal difficulty. This means that tanks aren't that tough to take down, and you have to abso-fucking-lutely mow into the survivors to take them down for good.

Like, as a hunter, you pounce on someone, you have to swipe for a good 7-8 seconds uninterrupted to down them, then another 25 seconds uninterrupted to kill them for good.

you have to get someone alone for 35 seconds to kill them nine times out of ten. This is freakin' impossible most of the time.

The only way you can do it is if you get like a boomer to go in and vommit / explode on a bunch of them, then when they are fighting them, get the two hunters to pounce on two people, then the smoker to grab a third.

This usually allows you to down at least one or two of them, and you have to do this at least 3-4 times to take an average survivor team down.

It's possible to kill them in one swift blow, but only if the survivors are really really idiotic or the infected are extremely skilled.

The biggest problem with Vs mode is that everybody knows how to play as survivors, but very few people are actually skilled at playing as the infected, and they aren't that great on average at coordinating and finding weaknesses in the enemies. Likewise, when you get a team of 4 people who know each other together, they will usually wipe the floor in the game over and over again due to superior coordination.

This is not necessarily a design flaw, but it is immensely frustrating when you're stuck with incompetent team members who make the A-Team look like good shots and refuse to cooperate with you. It's also very awesome and extremely fun when YOU are the ones doing the dominating... until some crybabies from the other side start quitting.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Scooper said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    "NinjaSquirrel said:

Ok i just totally nerded my self out there...whoa!"

Stopped watching when Kochanski came in and ruined it all."
    Haha thats a good reason to stop! nothing beats series 2
    ChestyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ChestyMcGee

There's downsides to all the bosses I think when both playing as or against them.

The Hunter is almost impossible to hit but is also the most vunerable boss when doing its attack move.

The Smoker irritatingly constricts you and manages to get to spots that make it hard for you team mates to hit. However is also has almost no health.

The Boomer can bring a whole hoard down on you and, unless you've got somewhere good to hide really close by, that pretty much means you're going to go down. On the flip-side, it also dies really fast and can damage zombies near it with its blast.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Tordah

I dislike the hunter most. He always seems to target me for some reason. :(

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PureRok
    Kush said:
    "PureRok said:
    Would you "do her" while listening to My Chemical Romance?"
    Why would I listen to shitty music?
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kush
    PureRok said:
    "Kush said:
    "PureRok said:
    Would you "do her" while listening to My Chemical Romance?"
    Why would I listen to shitty music?"
    I just picture a bunch of MCR fans thinking she's hot...
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scooper

She's hot when I throw a molotov on her.

The thing I don't get is how they know she's a zombie, there's plenty of girls nowerdays that sob all the time, are anerexic and wear pretty much nothing.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kush
    Scooper said:
    "She's hot when I throw a molotov on her.

The thing I don't get is how they know she's a zombie, there's plenty of girls nowerdays that sob all the time, are anerexic and wear pretty much nothing."
    Exactly...how do they know she isn't just some MCR fan?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Scooper
    Kush said:
    "Scooper said:
    "She's hot when I throw a molotov on her.

The thing I don't get is how they know she's a zombie, there's plenty of girls nowerdays that sob all the time, are anerexic and wear pretty much nothing."
    Exactly...how do they know she isn't just some MCR fan?"

Because after the first 2 songs or whatever no one's a MCR fan apart from the people who are still fans of Bam Margera.
    DoMiNiC147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DoMiNiC147

I guess if I had to choose one it would have to be the witch. Only because there's always that one teammate who startles her. Then she always goes after me.

Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cogito

Well interms of playing one, I hate playing the Smoker.

And in terms of fighting I hate fighting the tank, too OP.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By trav3ler

Hate Boomers in Versus, a halfway decent player can manage to slime at least one person in almost any situation.  He has the most potential to slow you down.

Hate playing as Smokers, due to their incredibly situational effectiveness.  Spawning as a Smoker when the Survivors are all indoors and in long narrow corridors sucks balls.
    FreshPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By FreshPrince

I hate the Boomer on expert difficulty, such a pain in the ass

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sarnecki

I wonder if the movie Rec inspired the Witch at all?

Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Video_Tycoon

The tank, he's pretty much a bigger zombie with more health, how is that a boss?  His only special ability is to throw stuff which almost ALWAYS misses.

Avatar image for deactivated-61b520d81ec9b
    deactivated-61b520d81ec9b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tank when you have only uzi's.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kush
    outnuff said:
    "The tank when you have only uzi's."
    That's not as bad as being up against a tank with only pistols...
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Scooper

Not as being up against a tank with only your penis. Or the other way 'round for that matter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.