Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Light Gun

Concept »

A Light Gun controller is used on some arcade games and very few console games. You point it at the screen, pull the trigger, and people die.

So why are there no more light gun games?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm sure this will bring out the worst in people (sorry x_x) 

So before i dive for cover from the flaming, let me ask; Why do developers no longer make light gun games? 

With the exception of time crisis 4 for the playstation 3 there have been no light gun games outside of the arcade for years now. 

Why do you think this is? is the genre dead?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It isn't dead, they're just all on the Wii and very few of them are good enough to even talk about.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Chaser324 said:

" It isn't dead, they're just all on the Wii and very few of them are good enough to even talk about. "

Man, that is wrong beyond belief.  House of Dead: Overkill was the most fun I had with a game in 2009 and also the funniest.  Dead Space: Extraction so far, has been excellent and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles was good fun.    Sure, you don't have to like them, big deal, but they are certainly worth talking about and have been, many times before.  

Ghost Squad, House of Dead 2 & 3? are also reviewed okay and the new Resident Evil has been well received.  I don't know of a complete dud, although their may be.

Get House of Dead: Overkill.
    Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Furyjoell

Also, there is a difference between an on rails shooter on the Wii and a proper light gun game. I guess that developers don't think people would buy a light gun? I'm not sure I would to be honest.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @oldschool: 
    I think I was at least half right in saying that they're all on Wii. I can't really speak to their quality as I've never been much of a fan of the genre and have only played a couple of the better entries on the Wii (RE:Umbrella Chronicles and Dead Space: Extraction).
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By dichemstys

House of the Dead: Overkill is one of the good ones. But if you are like me and don't have a Wii then you get the bone. They don't really come out for other consoles.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Chaser324 said:
    " @oldschool:  I think I was at least half right in saying that they're all on Wii. I can't really speak to their quality as I've never been much of a fan of the genre and have only played a couple of the better entries on the Wii (RE:Umbrella Chronicles and Dead Space: Extraction). "
    Oddly enough, I never ever played a light gun game until the Wii (which of course isn't really alight gun game at all - more a simulation of it).  I had so much fun with HoD:O I am now very open to the idea.  The replay value of the game is great and co-op play is a blast.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Yukoei
    @jadeskye said:
    "I'm sure this will bring out the worst in people (sorry x_x)  So before i dive for cover from the flaming, let me ask; Why do developers no longer make light gun games?  With the exception of time crisis 4 for the playstation 3 there have been no light gun games outside of the arcade for years now.  Why do you think this is? is the genre dead? "

I think you dont have a Nintendo Wii.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Maybe with Natal we'll get some "your hand is a gun, point to shoot" light gun games...kind of like this.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @Chaser324 said:
    " Maybe with Natal we'll get some "your hand is a gun, point to shoot" light gun games...kind of like this. "
    If only Natal could be that good  :-)
    Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you could use Natal to point at the screen like that, would your finger get tired?

I suppose you could point your leg to whip out the rocket launcher.

Maybe we'll be able to use props... That would be great. We'll be going back to our childhoods with poster paints, toilet roll inserts and Pritt Stick to assemble all kinds of crazy weapons.

I'd be way into that.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

As a guy who used to love his lightgun games, I agree with the sentiment of this thread. Besides Time Crisis, nothing really plays the same and even that seems to e losing its way. I haven't played the Resident Evil games on the Wii but the ones on the PS2 were terrible and HotD:O is nothing compared to the first three games in that series.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @oldschool:
    So you're telling me there's no chance of recreating an epic slow motion finger gunfight in video game form with Natal?

I mean it seems to me that Natal is perfect for it. The cameras can interpret where you're pointing your imaginary weapon and the microphone can interpret your gun noises as you shooting.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArchScabby

Because lightgun games are boring

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Not sure if i'm perfectly accurate here. Lcd hdtv's doesn't work well with the lightgun technology. Unless they build some sort of new sensor bar type of thing, it's probally not going to work. Besides that, not too many ppl cares about the genre anymore on certain consoles, however I still do.  

I know the nintendo wii has a few light gun games, maybe use that instead if you like light gun games. It still works and everything because there is a sensor bar to detect the signal.  

I used to have time crisis for the ps2 with a light gun and everything, I tried to use it with my lcd hdtv, doesn't work anymore. I'm sure there was a new time crisis near the beginning of this gen, might have newer technology to make it work. However maybe ppl wants to play fps games instead, I don't know.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By sjschmidt93

Do you...  

do you have a Wii?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Chaser324 said:
    " @oldschool:
    So you're telling me there's no chance of recreating an epic slow motion finger gunfight in video game form with Natal?  I mean it seems to me that Natal is perfect for it. The cameras can interpret where you're pointing your imaginary weapon and the microphone can interpret your gun noises as you shooting. "
    Possibly, but  not likely.  Time will tell, but more likely what we want will be Natal 3.  I want a full holograohic suite like in Star Trek - but we all know how badly that can turn out when the computer screws up.  For the time being we can just do what they did in the video  :-)
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mano521

i dont know but i would fully back the idea of having the arcade versions of arcade light gun games to be sold to anyone

SparroHawc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SparroHawc

HitmanAgent47 has it right.  The way lightguns work is focusing on a very small point on the screen - the NES Zapper dealt with it by checking to see if that spot was white, others most likely checked when the screen was refreshing and used that to determine where on the screen it was looking.  Since flatscreens update the entire image at once instead of using scanlines, the lightguns we used to use won't do jack.  The Wiimote is the closest thing we have to a lightgun, and it doesn't let you aim at the screen properly unless a game actually has a calibration setting.  Even then it depends on you standing in exactly the same spot all the time.  If you want a good lightgun game, you'll have to find an arcade, and that's getting harder to do as time marches on.

NECROPOST!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

They got ruined in arcades and made even worse on the Wii.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel 2 are kind of evolutions of the light gun wouldn't you say? The tech for a light gun is really old now. NES era stuff.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Romination

I love lightgun games. And while not having things like another Point Blank is a bummer, the Wii has some stunning offerings that really bring out what the genre can do (Dead Space in particular).  I still think Brad's review for that game sounded more like a 4, he was pretty glowing about it

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Phished0ne
    @Chaser324 said:
    " @oldschool:
    So you're telling me there's no chance of recreating an epic slow motion finger gunfight in video game form with Natal?  I mean it seems to me that Natal is perfect for it. The cameras can interpret where you're pointing your imaginary weapon and the microphone can interpret your gun noises as you shooting. "

A+ for the spaced references! such a great show. 

The "light gun" genre died because arcades died(in america for the most part besides Dave and Busters[which i frequent regularly]),  and because a lot of people moved on to LCD tvs.  The on-rails genre is slowly going away because of perceived boredom, and because it suffers from the same thing old school arcade games(centipede, pac-man) do, they were made for you to pump quarters into.   

For an on-rails game to succeed now it needs to be really funny or campy(House Of The Dead Overkill), or have a engaging enough story to hook you (Dead Space).
    twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think VR is taking over this market as well

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@oriongames: GG for creating an account and necroing a 7 year old topic to promote your game.

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By twi

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.