Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

Eurogamer review

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

They gave the game a 9/10, which, if you know Eurogamer, is a really high score (they gave DeathSpank a 6).

The review also addresses the length of the game. As expected, it's only about 3 hours long, but judging from the score and overall tone of the review, it's very much a case of quality over quantity here.

I'll still get it. Even if it's only 3 hours, it looks like it'll probably be the best 3 hours of gaming in a long time, and I'll probably want to replay it a few times as well.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm not prepared to drop $15 on a three hour game.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I don't find it shocking that Death Spank got a 6. Seems about right from what I've seen. 

Yes I know this has nothing to do with this actual thread. 

Yay Limbo?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mwng

I'll be picking it up or loading it down? When it makes its way to the marketplace. 3 hours or not I imagine getting through the game without dying will take me well past 1 playthrough. I like to think I'm supporting stuff like this when I buy it too, as misguided as that may be.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

That review tells me absolutely nothing. 

Doesn't surprise me, but still.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Bones8677

Three hours??? 
    Fuck me!

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Three hours in limbo? That's like a billionth of a second real time.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai

3 fucking hours? no thanks... 

Reviews need to start taking price into consideration..jesus

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By Cincaid

$15 ain't the end of the world, but 3 hours really is pushing it...I'll have to give it some thought.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By cstrang

...Braid was released at the same price point was easily beaten in under an hour.  I loved Braid and had no problems forking over the cash for it.  As will be the case with Limbo.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Cincaid

9 / 10 from GameSpot as well.
    8.3 / 10 from GameTrailers.

Not to mention 5 / 5 from Brad Shoemaker. 3 hours of gameplay or not, I'm fairly sure I'll pick this one up.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PK_Koopa

I'll wait 'till it goes on offer. Thats what i did with Splosion Man and Shadow Complex.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Milkman

George Broussard says:

"Also, Limbo is not 3 hours as some reviewers claim. A "normal" person will take 6-7+ hrs due to the puzzles and getting stuck."

Not sure how much his word means to people but I'm buying it either way.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CandleJakk
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I'm not prepared to drop $15 on a three hour game. "
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " 3 fucking hours? no thanks...   Reviews need to start taking price into consideration..jesus "
    So you won't drop $15 on a game that takes 3-6 hours to complete, but will drop $60 on a game that doesn't last 12-24 hours?
    Consider: Fable's story was only around 9-10 hours long, and then it got rather boring after that.
    Gears of War 2 was only about 7-8 hours, though I'll concede it had multiplayer, despite people continuously complaining that it was broken
    Mirror's Edge was only about 9 hours.
    In terms of value for money, about 4.5 (mid point of estimates) for $15 is roughly just shy of $3 and hour, as opposed to the $6 you'd normally splash on a game. It's better value for money, assuming the game is actually as good as the reviews and QL, etc are suggesting.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @Milkman said:
    George Broussard says:   "Also, Limbo is not 3 hours as some reviewers claim. A "normal" person will take 6-7+ hrs due to the puzzles and getting stuck."  Not sure how much his word means to people but I'm buying it either way.
    I've heard multiple sources saying it's really 5-7 hours.
    tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By tomance

People need to stop bitching about game length to dollar value ratio.  

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By CoolDrMoney
    @Milkman said:
    " George Broussard says:   "Also, Limbo is not 3 hours as some reviewers claim. A "normal" person will take 6-7+ hrs due to the puzzles and getting stuck."  Not sure how much his word means to people but I'm buying it either way. "
    That guy has a warped perception of time
    LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By LeBart

George Broussard will finish Limbo "when he's done". He's probably still in the first area of the game. 

Also, Portal was a 3 hours game, and it was one of the best games of 2007.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @CandleJakk said:

" @ajamafalous said:

@Jeffsekai said:
    " 3 fucking hours? no thanks...   Reviews need to start taking price into consideration..jesus "
    So you won't drop $15 on a game that takes 3-6 hours to complete, but will drop $60 on a game that doesn't last 12-24 hours? Consider: Fable's story was only around 9-10 hours long, and then it got rather boring after that. Gears of War 2 was only about 7-8 hours, though I'll concede it had multiplayer, despite people continuously complaining that it was broken Mirror's Edge was only about 9 hours. In terms of value for money, about 4.5 (mid point of estimates) for $15 is roughly just shy of $3 and hour, as opposed to the $6 you'd normally splash on a game. It's better value for money, assuming the game is actually as good as the reviews and QL, etc are suggesting. "
    Well douche bag, the game is 3 hrs not 3-6 THREEE. Second, Fable 2 can be played multiple times AND has online I played that game for a lest 40 hrs. 

so stfu 

and 15$ is 5 $ an hr not 3.
    CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CandleJakk
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @CandleJakk said:
    So you won't drop $15 on a game that takes 3-6 hours to complete, but will drop $60 on a game that doesn't last 12-24 hours? Consider: Fable's story was only around 9-10 hours long, and then it got rather boring after that. Gears of War 2 was only about 7-8 hours, though I'll concede it had multiplayer, despite people continuously complaining that it was broken Mirror's Edge was only about 9 hours. In terms of value for money, about 4.5 (mid point of estimates) for $15 is roughly just shy of $3 and hour, as opposed to the $6 you'd normally splash on a game. It's better value for money, assuming the game is actually as good as the reviews and QL, etc are suggesting. "
    Well douche bag, the game is 3 hrs not 3-6 THREEE. Second, Fable 2 can be played multiple times AND has online I played that game for a lest 40 hrs.  so stfu   and 15$ is 5 $ an hr not 3. "
    1. In case you hadn't noticed, I was taking the broadest estimates that I'd heard, and applied them, hence the "3-6 hours".
    2. Since you haven't played the game, you can't say for definite that it's "THREEE" hours long.
    3. I'm glad you got 40 hours out of Fable 2. Good for you - also Limbo can be played multiple times.
    4. The Dollars per hour estimate was based on the game taking the 4.5 hours (which rounded = 5 and since $15/5 hours = $3 p/hour. I'm more correct based on what I'd said, though I meant just over, not just shy of).

Regardless, I was merely pointing out, using your quote as an example, that people shouldn't think in such black and white terms about pricing for something which isn't released yet, quite so seriously. If the experience is as good as people are saying, it'll be worth it for me. It may not be for you, and that's absolutely fine.
    MithrilMojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By MithrilMojo

I'll be picking it up, since I'm horrible at puzzles and this will probably take me until the end of August to complete. It just looks so cool--and I've got that $15 burning a hole in my Microsoft Points since I decided not to buy Deathspank.  I mean, you can't just let those Points just  sit there.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous
    @CandleJakk said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    @Jeffsekai said:
    I haven't paid $60 for a game since Halo 3 came out.

So no, I'm not prepared to drop $60 on a game as I consider that a huge ripoff. I wouldn't even buy Mass Effect 2 for $30 (I waited until it was $20), and that game lasted me 50 hours for one playthrough.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Jeust
    @ajamafalous said:

" @CandleJakk said:

" @ajamafalous said:
    @Jeffsekai said:
    I haven't paid $60 for a game since Halo 3 came out.

So no, I'm not prepared to drop $60 on a game as I consider that a huge ripoff. I wouldn't even buy Mass Effect 2 for $30 (I waited until it was $20), and that game lasted me 50 hours for one playthrough. "
    Not only that, but i, at least, want something i can play for hours, without playing through the same levels again, in which i can savour the world, the characters, the game, and not an appetizer. :p 

For less than 15$ i can buy a lengthy game, even if it is older. 
    wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wfolse1

I'm actually surprised that people are making a big deal about the length of the game.  Which makes me sad, because that makes me a TOTAL IDIOT.  Of course people are complaining.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond
    @wfolse1 said:
    I'm actually surprised that people are making a big deal about the length of the game.  Which makes me sad, because that makes me a TOTAL IDIOT.  Of course people are complaining.
    People just don't value quality anymore.  It's all about "how many hours can I play this game?"  It explains the success of titles like Modern Warfare 2, Madden, World of Warcraft and Halo.  What people don't see is they're replaying those same bits of content over and over just like they'd be able to replay a single player game.

Content can't only be measured in hours.  A game like Limbo presumably is constantly throwing new scenarios at you.  Would people prefer it if you fought the creepy spider 30 times?  Because that's what other games do.  If you want to do that play through Limbo 30 times!
    CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CarpetRemnant
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @CandleJakk said:

" @ajamafalous said:

@Jeffsekai said:
    Well douche bag, the game is 3 hrs not 3-6 THREEE. Second, Fable 2 can be played multiple times AND has online I played that game for a lest 40 hrs.  so stfu   and 15$ is 5 $ an hr not 3. "
    Hey man he did absolutely nothing to justify you calling him a douchebag so grow the fuck up. I think the main reason you can't get Limbo is cause of the parental controls on your 360.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Diamond said:
    " @Milkman said:
    George Broussard says:   "Also, Limbo is not 3 hours as some reviewers claim. A "normal" person will take 6-7+ hrs due to the puzzles and getting stuck."  Not sure how much his word means to people but I'm buying it either way.
    I've heard multiple sources saying it's really 5-7 hours. "
    5-7 is also what Ive heard. Thats pretty good, and Im probably going to play through more than once.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Plasma

I really don't understand this obsession with length. Multiplayer games are made to take up time, if you just have to waste time. Games like this are meant to be enjoyed, its a unique experience. Who goes, "YES! 10 hours has passed! That was worth $15! Glad I didn't buy LIMBO I'd still have like 6 hours till I sleep".

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

3 hours of a good quality game beats that crap out of a hundred billion hours of a shitty game. 

I can remember paying 20-25 bucks for a nice shiny new NES game that I could essentially beat in a half hour to an hour.  

It's too bad to see a lot of games go unplayed because it's too short. I guess a lot of people have pretty much forgotten about re-playability, since most games seem to just dump that into multiplayer.  

At least I know I'll be playing an awesome game. 

@Plasma said:

Who goes, "YES! 10 hours has passed! That was worth $15!

People who don't understand the point of a video game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.