Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Linear Gameplay

Concept »

The opposite of open-ended gameplay, linear gameplay uses scripted events, Quick time events, cut scenes, and a restricted path to tell a story exactly how the writer intends, and control elements of the action.

Why I have no problems with linear games today.

Chaoticpattern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Chaoticpattern

It's been said that the average age of gamers are closer to 30 than it is in the low 20s. The gaming boom happened around the early 80s, which is a generation I am a part of. Now that am a financial supporter and a father, the time I can spare for games have waned significantly; yet, my enthusiasm for games have not. My taste for games have changed over the years to suit the lifestyle I lead at the time. For example, the games I play during my high school years revolved around highly social games like Street Fighter or Bomberman. During my university golden years, it was skill-based games like Starcraft and Beatmania. As I was entering the work-force, it was MMORPGs, namely World of Warcraft. 

The games I play today are more akin to block-buster movies. Games like Uncharted 2, God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII. The commonality between each of these games is that they all offer a linear-style of gameplay. I'm now at an age that enjoys heavy, emotive story in games but prefer to have games deliver them in a manner that I know I can experience through the end. In short, my interest is now more in the immersive experience than the challenge itself.

Chaoticpattern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Chaoticpattern

It's been said that the average age of gamers are closer to 30 than it is in the low 20s. The gaming boom happened around the early 80s, which is a generation I am a part of. Now that am a financial supporter and a father, the time I can spare for games have waned significantly; yet, my enthusiasm for games have not. My taste for games have changed over the years to suit the lifestyle I lead at the time. For example, the games I play during my high school years revolved around highly social games like Street Fighter or Bomberman. During my university golden years, it was skill-based games like Starcraft and Beatmania. As I was entering the work-force, it was MMORPGs, namely World of Warcraft. 

The games I play today are more akin to block-buster movies. Games like Uncharted 2, God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII. The commonality between each of these games is that they all offer a linear-style of gameplay. I'm now at an age that enjoys heavy, emotive story in games but prefer to have games deliver them in a manner that I know I can experience through the end. In short, my interest is now more in the immersive experience than the challenge itself.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WickedFather

Agree entirely that a good, driven story of course needs nudging in the right direction.  "Freedom" is sometimes very overrated in games and you can end up faffing so much and getting completely lost and all sense of pace and tension is lost.  I've had a few "Well what the fuck do I do now?" situations.  Even happened in GTA IV because I thought the letters above people's houses just told you where they live after you've met them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.