Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MadWorld

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 10, 2009

MadWorld is an artistically stylized over the top action game for the Wii created by Platinum Games. The main character, Jack, must compete in a kill or be killed TV show called Death Watch and gains points for the most brutal kills he can pull off.

MadWorld Gets a 15 Rating in Oz

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Sega/Platinum Games'Wii-exclusive MadWorld has received an age rating for retail in Australia of MA15+.

According to IGN, the game has passed through testing without any edits/cuts. UK gamers on the other hand can buy their copy at a stricter 18+ rating, which will also come unedited.

I find this very odd myself given the Australian boards decisions in the past. I wonder if this is a case of the BBFC in the UK being too strict or the Australian board being too lenient?. I understand that the MA15+ is the highest rating they could have given the game, but I would have thought they would push out a new rating with this game.

No Caption Provided

Will parent groups in Oz kick up a fuss and get the game pulled from shelves :?
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

Mate they couldnt get an R18 rating for GTA or Fallout 3 or any title, let alone it happening just for this game.

Thats the actual problem, the process of an R18 rating being introduced into the system has been held up at every turn by one Michael Atkinson (attorney general of South Australia), unfortunately these decisions have to be mandatory among Attorney Generals of all states to go forward, and he has vetoed at every turn to make any progress.

So the logic from there is, with no R18 rating, games must meet the criteria of M15 rating or else be banned. Thats why we see games such as silent hill 5, GTA4 etc edited to comply with these criteria. Generally the decisions made tend to be inconsistent as hell from one game to another.

Im extremely suprised to see this one let through on account of it being a wii game (games are for kids of course and the wii is the premier kids system), and i fully expect in the next few months for it to be complained about by unsuspecting parents when they realise what they have bought their child. After a certain amount of complaints the OFLC (Office of film and literature classification) will likely pull the game. I could be wrong but i have seen it before with games such as Manhunt, Bully and GTA.

Having no R18 rating is the crux of the problem, It's literally one man holding up the entire process. Until he is out of the picture Australian adults will continue to be regulated by the government for what game content they can access.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Hahaha, ohhh. I thought you meant a review score of 15. I was like "Dude! Out of 100?!?! It can't be!"

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

Rowr said:
    "Mate they couldnt get an R18 rating for GTA or Fallout 3 or any title, let alone it happening just for this game.

Thats the actual problem, the process of an R18 rating being introduced into the system has been held up at every turn by one Michael Atkinson (attorney general of South Australia), unfortunately these decisions have to be mandatory among Attorney Generals of all states to go forward, and he has vetoed at every turn to make any progress.

So the logic from there is, with no R18 rating, games must meet the criteria of M15 rating or else be banned. Thats why we see games such as silent hill 5, GTA4 etc edited to comply with these criteria. Generally the decisions made tend to be inconsistent as hell from one game to another.

Im extremely suprised to see this one let through on account of it being a wii game (games are for kids of course and the wii is the premier kids system), and i fully expect in the next few months for it to be complained about by unsuspecting parents when they realise what they have bought their child. After a certain amount of complaints the OFLC (Office of film and literature classification) will likely pull the game. I could be wrong but i have seen it before with games such as Manhunt, Bully and GTA.

Having no R18 rating is the crux of the problem, It's literally one man holding up the entire process. Until he is out of the picture Australian adults will continue to be regulated by the government for what game content they can access."

I had thought that the Australian Board were looking to roll out a new classification, not solely because of this game though. Clearly the system in place is not sufficient for the content they have to rate, everyone knows that now, they must surely too.

Has this issue been brought up in Parliament at all recently?

It does seem strange that a game so overtly violent and brutally will get passed by the OFLC. I wonder if  the games comic book style saved it?, it  certainly seems so when other games with greater realism pay the price with bans and edits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.