Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

I'm done!! I'm switching! -_-

• 58 results
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

I am level 20 and have NEVER been in a game where Valor has won against SVER!!  This is ridiculous!!  I have deleted my file and am switching now!  I have read forums all over blog.MAG.com and everyone else is saying SVER's weapons have a 3-4 shot take down.  I have also noticed this in game.  If you buy this game.  Make sure you pick SVER if you like winning otherwise go with the others.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shadows_kill

I joined SVER (but that was mainly cause gb's clan is SVER too) but i have played a few rounds against both raven and valor and SVER has lost its amount too. i have died from 2-4 shots from a valor gun too. its pretty well balanced just how certain people play. i aim for the head so i kill them in shorter amount of shots compared to someone that was shooting at my body.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By therabidfrog
    @shadows_kill said:
    "  i aim for the head so i kill them in shorter amount of shots compared to someone that was shooting at my body. "
    It's like they always say; "Location, location, location."
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By eclipsesis

If everyone just went SVER if would kinda go against what the developers wanted from this game. Maybe your just a sore loser and not good enough. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB
    @eclipsesis said:
    " If everyone just went SVER if would kinda go against what the developers wanted from this game. Maybe your just a sore loser and not good enough.  "
    MAG: 255 players vs 1.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

Wow... I'm completely dominating now.  I have never been on a 7 kill streak before?

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StillVictor
    @ReaperOfLiving: Are you asking? No, you haven't.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

SVER was overpowered even in the Beta.

beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By beomoose
    @ReaperOfLiving said:

I have deleted my file and am switching now!   "

WORST design decision in this game. Hey Zipper, want to fix the faction balance? Allow people to swap factions without having to start over. Otherwise it will never get better. You're punishing players for a decision they have to make the first time they pop the effing disc in, in what screwed-up board meeting did that sound like a good idea?
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

don't delete a level 20 profile, the developers will just fix that eventually when they see the stats for each faction. 

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think a major contributor to S.V.E.R. dominating was that Gamestop gave out a pre-order bonus for them. Thus the many many people who buy the game at Gamestop are quite naturally going to play them first and then realize they are stuck. If you choose another faction don't quit simply because things arn't going your way. It will never get better unless you stick it out.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @AndrewB said:
    " @eclipsesis said:
    " If everyone just went SVER if would kinda go against what the developers wanted from this game. Maybe your just a sore loser and not good enough.  "
    MAG: 255 players vs 1. "
    1 always wins. Reason: more people to kill, get in a nice little spot and shoot the fuckers when they come in.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
    @ReaperOfLiving said:
    " Wow... I'm completely dominating now.  I have never been on a 7 kill streak before? "
    you earned some metal
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " I think a major contributor to S.V.E.R. dominating was that Gamestop gave out a pre-order bonus for them. Thus the many many people who buy the game at Gamestop are quite naturally going to play them first and then realize they are stuck. If you choose another faction don't quit simply because things arn't going your way. It will never get better unless you stick it out. "
    That is exactly what I was thinking.  I'm mad Zipper didn't make one for all groups.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

As a Raven guy, I've beaten S.V.E.R. in just one match. But in fact, I've only won two matches full-stop as Raven. I'm still kicking ass though, was dominating "C" last night as Squad Leader.

S.V.E.R. are unbalanced though. Either their map, or the weapons. Something isn't quite right.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Red12b
    @get2sammyb:  
    I still want to play with you dudes later, maybe when it's later in the game? can you join back in the clan?
    MoistJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By MoistJohn
    @CenturionCajun: "  don't quit simply because things arn't going your way. It will never get better unless you stick it out." 

The more you know...
    Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Johanz

I'm still rolling with Raven, they are good. Pretty well structured play, the weapons are good and all that. Don't switch! Stay with your teams and we will become better and Zipper will sort out any balancing.

If SVER is always winning all the time, switching to them doesn't help the game for anyone. For one, if everyone was SVER, you wouldn't find any other people to play against, plus, no one wants one team to be overpowered in equipment. Overpowerment in commanding is what the game is about!

intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By intarcouch

Now, I don't really know about this statement. Someone on VALOR complaining about SVER? Pretty much in games (and this is 50/50, even playing with a good team) we will either be completely dominated by the other team (whether it be Raven or Valor) or just do a complete and utter steamroll against them. I'm guessing it really depends on the game type, because I have seen (both Raven and Valor) completely dominate/shut us out on literally all of the game modes.  

During the beta, most of the non SVER factions complained that it was about the maps... while I don't necessarily agree with that- I can definitely see where they are coming from. If a person can't even seem to get out of their spawn without dying... is that bad teamwork or is that bad map design? I personally have been with SVER from Day 1 of the v4 beta... and thats what me and my friends have chosen to play as a team.  Also, from what I saw from the beta and the beta forums, the reason why I chose SVER was because: 

Valor - HardxCore Gamers (raging easily over the mic when killed, yelling "BULLSHIT FAGGOT LEARN TO FUCKING PLAY." "SVER IS FUCKIN OVERPOWERED EAT MY SHIT")
    Raven - Xbox Live Rejects Club (half of the team consists of shitty snipers)
    SVER - Normal Dudes ("sup guyz lol")

Now, during the final game... I have to say that it is a complete mash-up of these self-opinionated stereotypes; Although luckily for me, I get to play with friends and we seem to max out (most of the time) the current squad that we are in.  

Hopefully this makes sense to some, and I know that not all Raven/Valor players are what my stereotypes suggest.  

but yeah STICK TO YO PMC. Maybe they could learn something from you/you could be a great leader? etc etc im rambling.

Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Johanz

Xbox Live Rejects? Aww. I actually chose Raven because they felt sort of like a military unit... And they kinda reminded me of MGS4 somehow. Perhaps because of the Raven Sword PMC commercial in that game. :P

Besides, I like the european feel of it all, voices and everything. Plus P90s, Aug A3s etc and everything!

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerSerj

Good job exacerbating the problem. Wussy.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By sjschmidt93

Sounds like Horde & Alliance all over again.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @eclipsesis said:

" If everyone just went SVER if would kinda go against what the developers wanted from this game.

lol.
    Yeah c'mon guys, apparently this is your responsibility as a buyer, not theirs as a developer.

...and here I was, silly me,  thinking the "BETA" was over.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

I have reached my previous level within a couple hours of play.  It took me 4x this for reaching 20 on Valor.   I think something is off.  Also the match bonuses are a great help.  :D

intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By intarcouch
    @Johanz said:
    " Xbox Live Rejects? Aww. I actually chose Raven because they felt sort of like a military unit... And they kinda reminded me of MGS4 somehow. Perhaps because of the Raven Sword PMC commercial in that game. :P  Besides, I like the european feel of it all, voices and everything. Plus P90s, Aug A3s etc and everything! "
    sorry haha, i meant the actual players ;) i have nothing against Raven or Valor as characters.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CenturionCajun
    @ReaperOfLiving said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    " I think a major contributor to S.V.E.R. dominating was that Gamestop gave out a pre-order bonus for them. Thus the many many people who buy the game at Gamestop are quite naturally going to play them first and then realize they are stuck. If you choose another faction don't quit simply because things arn't going your way. It will never get better unless you stick it out. "
    That is exactly what I was thinking.  I'm mad Zipper didn't make one for all groups. "
    There were. Game Crazy had Raven and I think some of the "big box" retailers had Valor. However, the incredibly majority in sales that Gamestop has in terms of pre-orders is telling.
    Mr_Socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr_Socks

" Wow... I'm completely dominating now.  I have never been on a 7 kill streak before? "

lol @ completely dominating.  I just had a 31 killstreak against SVER as Raven about an hour ago.  We still lost the match though, DX.  I do think that SVER has a clear advantage though when it comes to maps.  Hopefully they'll add more maps in the future (while expanding the story of the war) that will balance out the fighting.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CenturionCajun

Oh, I'm sure they will. An online only game like this lives or dies by them adding new content in a timely manner. Look at how effective Warhawk has been at maintaining a loyal playerbase over the years. They have had three major expansions which have kept the game alive. In contrast look at the rather horrible implementation of SOCOM: Confrontation. Only one expansion more than a year after the game released that I don't think most people even know exists.

AllenV86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By AllenV86

im playing as RAVEN and the games i've been playing are reasonably balanced, i do have to admit when fighting against SVER it is harder then against VALOR, i think it's because of the weapons cause i picked up an AK last night a used it a bit and it did feel easier then before, 

but i'm going to stick to RAVEN ( ETO all the way :D )

grtz Allen :p

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NickL

i am still baffled that they decided to do something so potentially gamebreaking (through balance issues) as giving everyone different guns...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By get2sammyb
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " Oh, I'm sure they will. An online only game like this lives or dies by them adding new content in a timely manner. Look at how effective Warhawk has been at maintaining a loyal playerbase over the years. They have had three major expansions which have kept the game alive. In contrast look at the rather horrible implementation of SOCOM: Confrontation. Only one expansion more than a year after the game released that I don't think most people even know exists. "
    People still love it though. There appears to be a pretty solid playerbase there. Tiny, but loyal.

I think MAG'll generate a Warhawk-esque community to be honest. There have been about 15,000 people playing consistently since launch, I expect that'll go down to about 3,000 hardcore players in 6 months, but you're absolutely right, it TOTALLY depends on them adding new content. Zipper were experts of serving the community in the SOCOM days so I'm sure they have wicked post-release support ready.

Back on the S.V.E.R. subject. As Raven, I've only beaten them once on launch day. As Squad Leader in Domination I can get my squad to hold them off well, complete our objectives, etc. But we never ever win as Raven. Ever.

I'll keep persevering against those scummy twats, but I doubt we're ever going to beat them.

Cool thing about MAG is though, if you play well individually (which usually means supporting your team the way the XP is issued); then you get rewarded whether you win or lose. I think the way they issue the XP is very clever.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Red12b
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    " Oh, I'm sure they will. An online only game like this lives or dies by them adding new content in a timely manner. Look at how effective Warhawk has been at maintaining a loyal playerbase over the years. They have had three major expansions which have kept the game alive. In contrast look at the rather horrible implementation of SOCOM: Confrontation. Only one expansion more than a year after the game released that I don't think most people even know exists. "
    People still love it though. There appears to be a pretty solid playerbase there. Tiny, but loyal.  I think MAG'll generate a Warhawk-esque community to be honest. There have been about 15,000 people playing consistently since launch, I expect that'll go down to about 3,000 hardcore players in 6 months, but you're absolutely right, it TOTALLY depends on them adding new content. Zipper were experts of serving the community in the SOCOM days so I'm sure they have wicked post-release support ready.  Back on the S.V.E.R. subject. As Raven, I've only beaten them once on launch day. As Squad Leader in Domination I can get my squad to hold them off well, complete our objectives, etc. But we never ever win as Raven. Ever.  I'll keep persevering against those scummy twats, but I doubt we're ever going to beat them.  Cool thing about MAG is though, if you play well individually (which usually means supporting your team the way the XP is issued); then you get rewarded whether you win or lose. I think the way they issue the XP is very clever. "
    Remember, it's still coming out In Australasia, add a few more thousand to that figure :)  

Worst decision ever to have three release dates. 
    COME OUT ALREADY!
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By frankxiv

i think sver is this way because you couldn't even make a sver character til later in the beta. i played raven before you could make a sver and they felt like sver now

valor has always kinda been the loser pmc imo they should just do 2.  if all the valor players were raven they'd have a shot at coming out even against sver

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @Mr_Socks said:
    "  " Wow... I'm completely dominating now.  I have never been on a 7 kill streak before? "  lol @ completely dominating.  I just had a 31 killstreak against SVER as Raven about an hour ago.  We still lost the match though, DX.  I do think that SVER has a clear advantage though when it comes to maps.  Hopefully they'll add more maps in the future (while expanding the story of the war) that will balance out the fighting. "
    I was proud. Was. :(  

@CenturionCajun said:
    " @ReaperOfLiving said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    That is exactly what I was thinking.  I'm mad Zipper didn't make one for all groups. "
    There were. Game Crazy had Raven and I think some of the "big box" retailers had Valor. However, the incredibly majority in sales that Gamestop has in terms of pre-orders is telling. "

Didn't know that?  Maybe I should had pre-ordered then?

Anyway I'm enjoying the game alot more now.  I was just inn another game where we trapped the team all the way till there respawn point and we just sat there racking up kills.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By get2sammyb

Finally beat S.V.E.R. as Raven for the second time today. I swear their guns are more powerful than ours. I swear it.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@get2sammyb said:

" Finally beat S.V.E.R. as Raven for the second time today. I swear their guns are more powerful than ours. I swear it. "

Your guns tend to be better at long distances. Abuse that. 

S.V.E.R. players are forced to operate as a team due to the short range and inaccuracy of their guns. So their logic is if they have three guys firing on one guy at once, more bullets are bound to hit. Meanwhile Raven's got the best accuracy in the game, which makes people try to one on one others/promotes camping. So Raven VS S.V.E.R. usually always ends up in S.V.E.R.'s favor. 

If Raven players operated as a team and abused the awesome accuracy on their guns, then I think people would complain about S.V.E.R. less.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

They'll probably overcompensate for this in an upcoming patch and make Valor the team to be on.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By get2sammyb
    @SuperSecretAgenda: I dunno about that though. S.V.E.R. can still take you from miles out with their rifles. They're just too strong.

Maybe I'm not the best player in the world, maybe my teams haven't always been the best, but I just can't believe everyone playing on S.V.E.R. is THIS good because I've barely encountered a "bad" S.V.E.R. side. They can just obliterate you.

I'd love to see the stats for faction win ratio.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @get2sammyb said:

" Finally beat S.V.E.R. as Raven for the second time today. I swear their guns are more powerful than ours. I swear it. "

Your guns tend to be better at long distances. Abuse that.  S.V.E.R. players are forced to operate as a team due to the short range and inaccuracy of their guns. So their logic is if they have three guys firing on one guy at once, more bullets are bound to hit. Meanwhile Raven's got the best accuracy in the game, which makes people try to one on one others/promotes camping. So Raven VS S.V.E.R. usually always ends up in S.V.E.R.'s favor.  If Raven players operated as a team and abused the awesome accuracy on their guns, then I think people would complain about S.V.E.R. less. "
    My AK works just as far as the default sniper when a foregrip is put on it as well as a reflex sight.  Very accurate and powerful. 
    ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShadowKing7

Hmm....why does it sound like Valor is basically the butt monkey PMC right now?
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CenturionCajun

I don't understand people saying that S.V.E.R. is the best. I've been in plenty of matches where we got dominated. I also die incredibly quickly when I get caught in the open.

UnderHero5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UnderHero5
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " I don't understand people saying that S.V.E.R. is the best. I've been in plenty of matches where we got dominated. I also die incredibly quickly when I get caught in the open. "
    I agree. I tried all three factions out when I started the game (just tried a round with each one, then deleted the character) and they all seemed the same, as far as weapons go. I just liked the way S.V.E.R. looked, with sweet hoods and hockey masks. I liked their little back story best as well. 

I'm level 15 now, and lost just as many matches as I've won. I'm not at home right now so I can't see the actual stat, but I know our team has lost at least half the matches. 

One PMC is going to have to be on top in the war, if it wasn't SVER, it would be another, and everyone would complain they are overpowered. 
    The guns are pretty much exactly the same, just cosmetically different. 

And as for the thread creator saying he leveled up faster with his SVER character.... Of course, you had just played to level 20 with your other character, you have 10 hours of experience with playing the game, as opposed to being completely new the first time. I would hope you'd level up faster!

The game hasn't even been out a week. I think it's ridiculous to start complaining about any imbalances yet, when most people haven't even learned to play properly at this point. I've been playing online FPS's since the Quake days, and with EVERY game I've played, I've had streaks where I lose, over and over and over, but I don't instantly assume that the game is completely unbalanced. Eventually I hit a streak where I win, and it evens out. It happens in all games.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CenturionCajun

I've begun to notice that more and more matches are bogging down into long stalemates. There are also many more command abilities coming into play as people are achieving platoon and company level command positions. The game is going to change drastically as people learn every intimate detail of every map and arn't just running straight ahead.

msdss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By msdss

I shot a SVER guy twice in the chest with my sniper rifle from about 100yards. He then turned around and got a head shot with his machine gun. 

Raven 4 life! Sadly thats only about 20 seconds though... hehe

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By get2sammyb
    @UnderHero5: I totally appreciate what you're saying, and it seems Raven as a team are pulling our shit together, but it's the way the maps are set up that's causing the problems. S.V.E.R. just have a straight line of bunkers to gun from, making their base DEAD easy to defend. As for the Raven base, well, you can't see fucking shit making it really easy attack.

That's kinda what's causing the unbalance in my opinion. I don't particularly feel S.V.E.R. are neccessarily more powerful. Although it's something I may say in jest when I go on a long death-streak! ;)
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ProfessorEss

I hope Zipper get this thing together. I've played games in the past where it seemed once balance was lost, it became VERY VERY hard (see: impossible) to regain it through "development" means.

I gotta say no one's hopes for this game were lower than mine (well, maybe some total naysayer but whatever) and it seems like kind of a shame for them to get so much right only to be potentially sunk by game imbalance. Good luck.

Signed,

Still on the fence :)

Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Butchio

im valor and im doin fine, most of the time in the top 3 in th game

Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Slaveg

I like winning. But more than winning I like when my character looks cool. I just can't stand the looks of SVER, so I guess, I'll stick with Raven.

Avatar image for somethingsaurus
    Somethingsaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Somethingsaurus

The biggest annoyance for me, against S.V.E.R., is that their battered gates, around the pumps, have a small gap at the bottom that allows them to disarm explosives from the inside, 100% safely. Makes they entry points that  much harder and less fun to breach.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " don't delete a level 20 profile, the developers will just fix that eventually when they see the stats for each faction.  "
    Too late I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.