Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Let's save MAG!

paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paparoach

I want to try and convince people that MAG is a game that still deserves to run strong in 2013. It's so difficult to get into a Domination mode game these days that it ruins the experience.

Please, people. Go to Gamestop and buy a used copy, it's only 1$ (no kidding). Or buy it on PSN or whatever. It's a great, unique game and it needs a stronger online community.

If you still need to be convinced, read Jeff's review and/or watch thye "MAG thing " video on this site.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By oodli

Seriously, if I could buy it for 5$ I would probably buy it.

I always wanted to buy it after enjoying the beta but never went through with it.

I didn't even know the game is still alive, i thought they killed the servers by now.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

The only time you could play it is night time or possibly the weekend. Also, if we did this, everyone would have to be on the same faction, as well as another in order to play games, depending on how many people still play it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wasn't MAG GB's PS3 game of the year that year, or am I dreaming things up?

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked MAG, well as much as I can like a shooter. Of course all my memories of that game was of myself finding new ways to die. My personal favorite was parachuting into a level and constantly getting sniped as I drifted to the ground, that just kept happening for a good 15 minutes.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sure, I'm in. I'll pick it up this week.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got it for a $1 a few weeks ago. Still haven't tried it. I'll give it shot this weekend.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Zipper Interactive dead now? I'm surprised that the game is still up and being maintained and not a PS+ freebie.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@rebgav said:

Isn't Zipper Interactive dead now? I'm surprised that the game is still up and being maintained and not a PS+ freebie.

Sony published it, but yeah, it's kinda weird they've never put it up for free on PS+ (even as a discount thing as far as I can tell). I jump in every now and then, more rarely now when Planetside 2 manages to do pretty much everything it strived to do on PC, and Dust 514 seems to have taken most of the MAG players, but it's still a fun game, and I have yet to play as the third faction, Valor.

But, hey, if more GB guys will be playing it, I'll try jumping a bit more often.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved MAG. It would be great to see another instalment on the PS4. I know that's not likely to happen, but I'd be all over it if MAG 2 ever became a thing. :)

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EricSmith

@csl316: Dreaming. I'm pretty sure it was God of War 3.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you're looking for an MMFPS on consoles, wait for Planetside 2 on PS4. Word is it will be free-to-play and won't require a PS+ subscription.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

MAG on the PS3 was by far one of their best playing, and one of the most ambitious console games this generation. Sure the framerate tanked with enough people on screen, the vehicle variety was non existent, there were so few weapons and some of the maps felt a bit busted. But god dammit, it was definitely one of the best games this generation.

I played a tonne of MAG, and if we actually got some peeps together I'd be willing to go round 2. Even some of the smaller non domination game modes and maps were pretty good.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It was a great game but I got in like a year later. I was doing pretty well but I just gave up after a while. I'm not a big multiplayer guy so if I do play a MP game, I'll play it for like a week or 2 and then stop. I don't want to go back to it though. Sorry.

nnotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i miss MAG :(. i had a lot of fun with the game, but i'm pretty sure it's all but dead. i stopped playing because Dom was the only mode you could easily get into, and was also the main game my clan would play.

Raven: D3ath D3ealers ^D^ for life

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fisk0  Moderator

Only 5 days left before the servers shut down now (they are due to be shut down on the 28th). Would kinda have expected the player numbers to rise a bit during this last few weeks, but instead it seems to be dwindling. Would be fun to play a few matches before it's all over, I'm currently playing Raven (as fisknoll), though I'm kinda considering deleting the character just so I can try Valor before it's shut down, since I only ever got to play S.V.E.R and Raven.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RonGalaxy

No thanks, I'm good.

@rebgav said:

Yeah, sony could have breathed new life into it by making it free on ps+, but I guess that wouldnt really result in profit for them. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if sony santa monica was maintaining it. They're usually sony's go to for that sort of thing

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fisk0  Moderator

i prefer M.A.X.

Hey, I love M.A.X., and I'd love to see Interplay or whoever owns the rights to that make another one. Apart from the name, they aren't exactly comparable though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@ripelivejam said:

i prefer M.A.X.

Hey, I love M.A.X., and I'd love to see Interplay or whoever owns the rights to that make another one. Apart from the name, they aren't exactly comparable though.

agreed, i just wanted to get that in there. :D

i was a bit intrigued by MAG when it was first shown but unfortunately i didn't have a PS3 available on the reg at the time...

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love mag. Now i need to go buy a copy

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fisk0  Moderator

I love mag. Now i need to go buy a copy

It's shutting down in 2 days, I wouldn't recommend paying any substantial amounts for it, considering there's no offline whatsoever to it, I don't even think you'll be able to access the tutorial once it's shut down.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By fattony12000
    slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man, MAG was so cool in concept and it led me to my love of ARMA and the super realistic mods for it (ACE)

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By connerthekewlkid

I hope somebody does something for the game come Tuesday night, Ill be hopping on for a bit.

No Caption Provided

I don't even know what this is but I saw it as a banner for some guy on the MAG forums and thought it was hilarious

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Id also like to mention that SOCOM 4 is going down on that same day but I don't believe anyone is really torn up about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.