Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 19, 2012

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (named Magic 2013 on the iOS app store) is the 3rd game in Magic The Gathering's ongoing annual digital game series, and adds new decks, new challenges, more deck customization, and a new game type: Planechase.

Card weighing out of control ?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ares42

Guess there's not many people checking out this forum, but is anyone else experiencing extremely consistent draws from the AI opponents in the campaign (not talking about encounters) ? Like I can play the same opponent 10 times in a row and I can pretty much tell when a big drop is about to hit, or if he has removal or not. Take Garruk as an example, I don't think I've played a single game where he doesn't drop a companion on his second turn, and he almost always gets the terrastomper out in the 5th or 6th (just like in the QL).

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

I haven't played (or replayed enemies) enough to say if I've experienced it, but you do see it in Giant Bomb's quick look of the game.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

I thought this topic was going to be about weighing the booster packs to see if they had foils or not. I dont know what that says about me.

On topic:

That is one of the reasons why I only got through two battles in last years game.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By stinky

not noticed exactly what you have, but there is a bit of luck of the draw with your own hand that will determine how well you do.

Garruk i've beaten without too much trouble. there is a limit to how powerful the cards are the guy has, and if you get around to putting out your big players he should fall.

here is where i have trouble, Planechase.

have you beaten the first Planechase in campaign?

one dude will heal himself and have 100+ health while i am still trying to gather an army.

i'll lose some health and the other AI players will smell blood and demolish me.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

Yeah it made me stop playing 2012 and from the quick look it was pretty apparent I wasn't going to be playing this one.

Bullshit difficulty means the computer makes you land locked and the AI gets perfect hands. Fuck that. The developers should know better by now.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thomasnash

@stinky: That first Planechase duel is absolutely ridiculous. I Beat it today with the Exalted Darkness deck, had the Arbiter artifact out so neither of us could really do much direct damage. I got him down to about 60 health, and then in quick succession a plane card came up that wiped the board...and then another which put all creatures back in play while he had a card that gave him 1 life for every creature card that got put into the field. He ended up with about 160, and I was attacking with a dude who had lifelink, and all the exalteds meant I got about 35 life per turn for a while, so we both ended up at around 170 life. Finally caught a break when I managed to get the artifact out that makes 1 creature unblockable, which obviously is great for this deck. So then it was just a case of hoping that no bad dice rolls fucked me over and getting about 30 damage in at him, got him down to about 50, so two turns away from defeating him, when he ran out of cards and I won that way. It was gruelling, and frankly slightly dull once I'd settled in to a rhythm.

The worst thing about it is that the AI seems to go straight for you while he builds up about 60 lives. Annoying as hell!

As for the main point of this thread...I kind of just put it down to the AI only having the basic decks a bit. I certainly do feel like they make very similar moves, but I do also notice times when I've been lucky and they just aren't drawing anything, so I don't know really.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ares42

@stinky said:

not noticed exactly what you have, but there is a bit of luck of the draw with your own hand that will determine how well you do.

Garruk i've beaten without too much trouble. there is a limit to how powerful the cards are the guy has, and if you get around to putting out your big players he should fall.

here is where i have trouble, Planechase.

have you beaten the first Planechase in campaign?

one dude will heal himself and have 100+ health while i am still trying to gather an army.

i'll lose some health and the other AI players will smell blood and demolish me.

I've beaten all the Planechase battles, but the mode is just terrible. It's just so extremely volatile, so the only way you can win it is if you use a deck that has the potential to go nuclear and then hope you get lucky. Been mostly playing the goblin deck which if you get stuck on some plane that keeps the peace and you get you the multiplier guy out you can just crush everyone once the plane is removed. But on the other hand if one of the board-clearing planes drop you're pretty much dead.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By egg

@Doctorchimp said:

Bullshit difficulty means the computer makes you land locked and the AI gets perfect hands. Fuck that. The developers should know better by now.

I assume you are given random draws, so if you're land screwed it was by chance, not because the game fixed your draws.

If the AI is given fixed draws, well is that really such a big deal? If they get fixed draws it's probably because the game would be too easy otherwise. Keep in mind you only have to defeat the AI once to move on. (rather than best 2 out of 3)

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By david3cm

@Dagbiker: ...is that an actual thing people do?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've replayed all the early duels with the Dream Puppets (Mill) deck after unlocking it, and there's something to your argument. I had to restart the Garruk duel a couple of times, and every time the Terrastomper was an early draw for him. For reference, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty. It doesn't bother me too much, though, because it's made me not feel bad at all for restarting the duel until I get an opening hand I really like. If the AI's going to get help from the code, why shouldn't I exploit it when there's no penalty?

On a side note, it's funny as hell to Mill the Encounter decks, especially the Sunhawk one, and the Necromancer discard guy can barely fight against it. There's just something amusing to seeing a graveyard with 15 Sunhawks in it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

@david3cm said:

@Dagbiker: ...is that an actual thing people do?

Yah, I don't remember how they would get the stores to take them back, but the idea was, You buy a bunch of booster packs, then you weigh them, to find out which ones are heaver. Then you bring the ones that don't have foils in them back to the store.

Xiemos2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Xiemos2

I'm pretty sure the AI battles have a sort of stacked deck. The most fun part about the games is the multiplayer and coop multiplayer against humans, but you can't do that until you unlock decks.. and they doubled to tripled the amount of time it takes to unlock a full deck compared to the 2012 version. I'd pay to unlock them if possible, it's not even worth my time... but you can't even do that yet! Grinding random variables has to be the worst thing ever invented, don't know why developers keep fucking making it so prominent in games.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By david3cm

@Dagbiker: My God....

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By egg

Hey kids, try out this cool glitch.

Use the soldier deck and play against the green deck (the 2nd one, not Garruk) and wait for AI to play the creature that turns one of their Forests into a 4/5 creature. Then play Journey to Nowhere on the Forest. The Forest will spasm all around the screen before landing in your land pile. When it's your opponent's turn, the Forest will go back to their land pile. That Forest card is still exiled the whole time, it just appears in the wrong place and keeps jumping back and forth.

This is iPad version, so I dunno if it will happen in other versions. It's pretty funny though.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By SuperWristBands

I thought this was gonna be a problem for me after watching the quicklook but the darndest thing happened to me when I fought Garruk. He actually didn't get enough mana to play one per turn. I had 6 out when he only had 4. Unless the first blue deck has land gaining cards. Does it? Cause if not that sucker got unlucky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.