Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Welp, It's happening. ::Sigh:: Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

• 140 results
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mesoian

Lupinko (the person responsible for every leak about the game to date) just leaked what is looking like a new disc title. LOTS of new characters with Strider being specifically named dropped in Lupinko's own special way. I think we can assume Megaman X, Ghost Rider, Ms Marvel, Venom, Frank West and M.Bison to join the marvel ranks the way the rumors over the past 3 months have been going.

Source is: https://twitter.com/#!/lupinko paired with Ono and Niitsuma's twitters.

I swear to god, if this is more than 20 bucks...::Shakes fist::

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

Will it still have basically no content?

Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mechwing

Man. i shoulda knew this was coming. Capcom likes to play us as fools. "hey instead of good dlc and PATCHES" lets just release that on another disc and charge more for it. and do it again if its unbalanced. 

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mesoian

@kingzetta said:

Will it still have basically no content?

I expect more, but by more, I mean spectator mode and more endings (not even new endings, just more). Maybe there will be a better trial mode and maybe there will be an overlying story mode this time.

But I expect nothing but new characters and balance fixes. Maybe they'll have created a solution for phoenix. Who knows.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By soldierg654342

So don't buy it. They'll stop doing this if people stop buying it. 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Aus_azn
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    The only problem is that the masses will because they go nuts whenever anything featuring RyuKen appears.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mesoian

@SoldierG654342 said:

They've been doing this for 17 years.

They will NEVER stop doing this.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingclaw

Capcom I trusted in you :'(

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By samfo

I bought this game and found it majorly dissapointing. Imagine if it had a mortal kombat style story mode! Would be awesome!

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soldierg654342
    @Mesoian: Then why do you even bother to buy the first run of a Capcom fighting game? 
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I remember thinking back when SFIV came out that Capcom would stop iterating on their fighting games like this. I should have known better. On the other hand, I skipped MVC3 and Strider just might make me buy this one...

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    We're still talking about the same Capcom right? The guys who published Resi: The Mercenaries 3D? A game that was so bad they had to put a freaking single-game save, no delete, lockdown on them, so nobody could trade those pieces of shit back in?  Does anyone think that was a coincidence?  They have more money than sense, saying no to Capcom is like saying no to a really determined charity promoter. Eventually you just give in, if not to shut them the fuck up, then for the fact that they've worn you down.

OT: This better be changed to free DLC, because the bastards owe us for lack of spectator mode, and the unsupported mess that sullied the potential of an overall awesome game.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

I can't wait to buy it, especially since my current copy of MvC3 is trapped inside my broke-ass PS3.

I LOVE YOU CAPCOM YOU CAN DO NO WRONG BY ME (except DMC4 fuck that game).

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mesoian

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Mesoian: Then why do you even bother to buy the first run of a Capcom fighting game?

Because I played it in a best buy with a large group of Marvel 2 players before it came out and had a blast.

I like Marvel, I really do. I just wish Capcom would put more effort into putting out finished products instead of selling 60 dollar betas.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'll buy it. If a 3rd expansion comes out, I won't buy it just like I didn't buy SSFIV AE.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By donchipotle

I remain unconvinced

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta

Mortal Kombat's level of content has ruined me to all other fighting games.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

If it's $15 like AE, sure I'll buy it. I have no problem buying annualized fighting games for $15 as opposed to Madden every year.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

@kingzetta: Functional online in MvC3 has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment whereas MK9's broken-ass netcode has restricted me to a 12-hour story mode/challenge tower grind and another 20 spent making combo videos.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

If they're doing this, then the only thing I can say is that it had damn well better have Squirrel Girl in it.

@kingzetta said:

Honestly? I feel like BlazBlue: Continuum Shift has just as much content as Mortal Kombat, if not more.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Vonocourt

If they offer it as a $15-ish dollar dlc expansion I don't see much of a problem. But then again I didn't pick up a copy of vanilla MvC3.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    @SuperfluousMoniker: To be fair, the jump from Street Fighter IV to Super is major. The jump from Super to AE is minimal and shit.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:

If they're doing this, then the only thing I can say is that it had damn well better have Squirrel Girl in it.

@kingzetta said:

Honestly? I feel like BlazBlue: Continuum Shift has just as much content as Mortal Kombat, if not more.

Yes, but MK is more fun to play, for me at least. Bang shisigami is the Johnny Cage of that game.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@kingzetta said:

@Hailinel said:

@kingzetta said:

Yes, but MK is more fun to play, for me at least. Bang shisigami is the Johnny Cage of that game.

Johnny Cage doesn't have an awesome theme song that plays when he performs his X-Ray.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Sooty

Mortal Kombat is pretty clunky and a boring fighting game once you've seen all the fatalities, it has a lot of content for a fighting game but it's nothing special, the content is still dull single player stuff. Multiplayer is where it matters and Mortal Kombat falls down, it's boring to watch and has been pretty much dropped by the competitive scene. Streams for it are pretty dead and whenever it's being played during a major tournament featuring games like SFIV, Blaz Blue and MVC3 the chat is just full of people wanting it to hurry up and finish in order to get to the 'real' games. (not my words there)

Capcom make good fighting games and I'm happy to purchase newer versions of them if they are priced appropriately and add a fair level of content for the price. Super SFIV met these criterias and so did AE.

plus I do play at local tournaments/fighting game nights so it's important I'm playing the latest versions of the games at home.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:

@kingzetta said:

@Hailinel said:

@kingzetta said:

Johnny Cage doesn't have an awesome theme song that plays when he performs his X-Ray.

point for blaze blue then
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By StaticFalconar

If they price it low enough and have the option of getting it as dlc for those that got the original for even cheaper (like the SSF4 to AE model) then sure. Fighting game community generally only goes forward, so you don't really have to worry about splitting any user base if you just force everybody to either go forward or leave. 

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I'm glad I waited.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By benpack

I'd buy that for $40 dollars.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingclaw

I hope they at least wait until next year to release it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StarvingGamer

@kingclaw: Why? Why would you not want more MvC3 goodness right fucking now!?

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mesoian said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

They've been doing this for 17 years.

They will NEVER stop doing this.

People must like it then, enough to buy it each and every time.

And on the point of game content: Mortal Kombat might have a bunch of content, but I don't really like the fighting there as much, and the game feels like a waste unless you know how to do Fatalities with everyone you want to play as.

No doubt MVC3 has a pathetic count of content, but the fighting is so damn fun.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By landon
    @Hailinel:  Does it really have enough content that would I enjoy Continuum Shift if I were to play it alone? I'm not an online person, but I got a lot out of Mortal Kombat.
    hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hencook
    @Mesoian

60 dollar beta? If you want to say that X-factor lvl 3 is beta, or the fact that they probably broke Yun and Yang so you'd buy the next game instead of SF4 be the end all fighting game, then no, I don't think you can say that 60 dollars is a ripoff when it comes to character count. What do you expect them to do? Put in every single character ever? The consumer might see it as "oh I already purchased these characters, and they're charging me for them again!", but the way I see it, you're purchasing the characters that took development time to make, and time invested in IPs. Do you remember Marvel Nemesis? It was a  fighting game with a character made by EA called Johnny Ohm. WHO THE FUCK IS JOHNNY OHM!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc4J_aANdfs Once you watch that video, you'll understand why the mere inclusion of characters such as Dante actually makes this game a complete product. Is it okay for them to charge you for new characters, or do they have to release a new engine every single time? Would it make more sense to include the old characters from MVC3, or to not include them at all?

A game with a full roster and for the most part, polished mechanics is not a beta IMO. Well, maybe being a little broken is the fun thing about Marvel anyways. There's nothing wrong with Vanilla Marvel 3. It seems you have this mindset that everyone hates it when these "ultimate" or "arcade edition" updates happen. I happen to enjoy Marvel, and enjoy Capcom's products (for the most part) so I'm fine with a full priced update.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@Ygg said:

Mortal Kombat is pretty clunky and a boring fighting game once you've seen all the fatalities, it has a lot of content for a fighting game but it's nothing special, the content is still dull single player stuff. Multiplayer is where it matters and Mortal Kombat falls down, it's boring to watch and has been pretty much dropped by the competitive scene. Streams for it are pretty dead and whenever it's being played during a major tournament featuring games like SFIV, Blaz Blue and MVC3 the chat is just full of people wanting it to hurry up and finish in order to get to the 'real' games. (not my words there) Capcom make good fighting games and I'm happy to purchase newer versions of them if they are priced appropriately and add a fair level of content for the price. Super SFIV met these criterias and so did AE. plus I do play at local tournaments/fighting game nights so it's important I'm playing the latest versions of the games at home.

As much as I enjoy Mortal Kombat, it doesn't really surprise me that this has happened. Gameplay aside, it's hard to maintain competitive interest in a modern fighting game when the online is as busted as MK's turned out to be.

That aside, I will give the developers props for producing the best Mortal Kombat game in over a decade. But that's not nearly enough to save the game at the competitive level.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By matpaget

Can someone link me to some sort of evidence that this exists?

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By doomocrat

@Hailinel said:

And she'd better be God Tier.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thatpinguino

As long as there is a downloadable option this is fine.  Otherwise I hope it is 40 bucks because I'm not dropping another 60 on 6 new characters and a re-balance... unless phoenix is retroactively removed.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @doomocrat said:

@Hailinel said:

And she'd better be God Tier.

Squirrel Girl, Rorkannu, and the Nextwave squad.  Make it happen, Capcom!
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus

I'm cool with it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel

@Landon said:

@Hailinel: Does it really have enough content that would I enjoy Continuum Shift if I were to play it alone? I'm not an online person, but I got a lot out of Mortal Kombat.

Continuum Shift has a full story mode, but it's not linearly structured like Mortal Kombat's. Each character in Story Mode can be selected independently, and in addition to the canon paths that eventually lead to the true ending, there are also alternate end paths (including joke endings). This is in addition to the standard arcade mode ladder with arcade-style endings, as well.

Continuum Shift also has a very comprehensive tutorial mode that teaches things from the very basics to character-specific strategies, a challenge mode (sort of like the challenge mode in Street Fighter IV), a score attack mode, and "Legion" mode, which is essentially a turn-based strategy game.

The handheld release of Continuum Shift II (essentially Continuum Shift with all of the DLC and hidden characters already unlocked) also includes an Abyss mode, which is an endurance mode with some basic RPG elements. To my undestanding, the latest patches for Continuum Shift on the PS3/360 put the character balance in line with that of Continuum Shift II (which is only in arcades/on handhelds).

So there's plenty to see and do if you're mostly playing it single-player.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mesoian

@hencook said:

@Mesoian:

60 dollar beta? If you want to say that X-factor lvl 3 is beta, or the fact that they probably broke Yun and Yang so you'd buy the next game instead of SF4 be the end all fighting game, then no, I don't think you can say that 60 dollars is a ripoff when it comes to character count. What do you expect them to do? Put in every single character ever? The consumer might see it as "oh I already purchased these characters, and they're charging me for them again!", but the way I see it, you're purchasing the characters that took development time to make, and time invested in IPs. Do you remember Marvel Nemesis? It was a fighting game with a character made by EA called Johnny Ohm. WHO THE FUCK IS JOHNNY OHM!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc4J_aANdfs Once you watch that video, you'll understand why the mere inclusion of characters such as Dante actually makes this game a complete product. Is it okay for them to charge you for new characters, or do they have to release a new engine every single time? Would it make more sense to include the old characters from MVC3, or to not include them at all?

A game with a full roster and for the most part, polished mechanics is not a beta IMO. Well, maybe being a little broken is the fun thing about Marvel anyways. There's nothing wrong with Vanilla Marvel 3. It seems you have this mindset that everyone hates it when these "ultimate" or "arcade edition" updates happen. I happen to enjoy Marvel, and enjoy Capcom's products (for the most part) so I'm fine with a full priced update.

I expect them to make a game where high level play does not consist solely of 6 characters in a roster of 40 in a 3x3 fighting game. I expect them to include a proper story mode, something every fighting game (INCLUDING THEIR OWN) made in the past 10 years has had (seriously, fan made doujin games have better arcade modes than Marvel 3). I expect them to have some sort of primer for new players that actually shows them what they need to do (The mission mode is a joke). I expect more than simply tossing the fighting game engine onto a disc and selling it. There is no polish here. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a vs Fighting game only, and in 2011, that doesn't cut it. It was completely outclassed by Mortal Kombat 9 and BB: Continium Shift's modes and shows a pretty big disregard for the current state of video games. When this game first came out, you literally could not join a game due to congestion. CONGESTION! Network congestion in 2011 for a 1v1 game. It's not like there aren't dozens of various netcodes out there that they could have licensed in order to make things more seemless. And the only only works now, now that the casual players who had nothing to keep them interested have moved on and thinned out the online space this game has. And they STILL haven't fixed that. And if you're going with character count as a value proposition, then the roster really doesn't matter when no one (Literally no one) is using 20 out of the 40 characters available. My team is She-Hulk/Morrigan/Hsien-ko, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've played against another hsienko, or another morrigan for that matter. Then there are the bugs. Then there are the crappy endings. Then there are the piss poor menus. There is a ton of things wrong with this game and to say that it's finished and polished and sparkling is nothing more than lying to yourself.

But the real truth about all of this is that it doesn't matter, because Marvel 3 is god damn amazingly fun. Even with all it's brokenness and it's destitute nature, it is a blast to play, everytime. It's so much fun it almost excuses the things I put above. So it gets a pass. Capcom doesn't deserve the damn pass because they ALWAYS do this, cutting corners and breaking crucial elements of their games in order to adhere to some asinine time table (Lost Planet 2 was another amazingly fun game that was DESTROYED by cut corners). I wish they would just take the time out and get their ducks in a row before the game releases. If it needs to be delayed, delay it. They do this every damn time and it pisses everyone off, but we all begrudgingly buy the new version because we hope it will be fun. And generally it is. But it's a shitty practice to charge your fans almost double what the retail nature of the game is worth.

As for the rest of your post, what did that have to do anything. Marvel Nemesis was made by a development studio that had never made a fighting game before, it was of virgin pedigree and a waste of the license, anyone could see that before the game was even out.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#43  Edited By jacksukeru

If so then I'm EXTRA happy that I didn't buy it, and might do so this time around.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By bonbolapti

maybe it'll all be balanced then :D

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By HadesTimes

I'm also unconvinced. Who is going to make it? Everything is focused on Street Fighter X Tekken.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ricetopher

If they remove X-factor, I'm in there no matter how much it costs.

Michaelblack18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Michaelblack18

very interesting id expect them to add megaman and ghost rider and frank west as dlc would be fun to see some zombies get summoned and they eat at your foes and strider? hell yes if it's 40 since i havn't bought mvc3 would definantly buy this

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hailinel

@HadesTimes said:

I'm also unconvinced. Who is going to make it? Everything is focused on Street Fighter X Tekken.

The team that made the original. Ono's team is the one working on Street Fighter X Tekken, not the MvC3 team.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By l4wd0g

i called it,, unfortunately.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By niamahai

is it wrong that i feel compelled to purchase this? and then not play it after a week.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.