Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel

Franchise »

Marvel Comics is the company that created superheroes like Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man and several others that have appeared in video games. They are currently owned by Disney.

Disney Purcahses Marvel... For 4 Billon Dollars.

• 60 results
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Cube

Aw CRAP

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Linkyshinks

This is crazy.. I am totally shocked by this, I love Marvel and cannot believe Disney, who I fucking hate, have bought them.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#53  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Somehow I doubt this spells the end for marvel. However, as a person who only cares about Disney because of Pixar (because everything else they have can pretty much go to hell), I doubt this will spell anything good for Marvel's future.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By gearhead

Disney bought Miramax back in the 90's. I have no worries that they will meddle with Marvel.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By vidiot

It's too unpredictable right now to get upset, whatever long lasting effects this buyout will have I don't think were going to see it anytime soon. (WHICH IS A GOOD THING.) 

My main concern, as is everyone's, is that Disney stays far and away from major decisions regarding how Marvel runs itself. A "G" rated X-men sing-a-long is not my idea of a fun time. Let Marvel be Marvel. 
    It looks like from early reports this seems to be the case. People tend to forget that Disney owns a lot of things. As PenguinDust said, they are the #1 media conglomerate in the U.S. 

My prediction is that Disney is seeing the superhero movie craze, and wants in on some of the action. How hands on they will be we will see in time, although reports that Disney themselves have a say on re-examining Marvel video game deals is something that bothers me for the long term. 

From Kotaku
    Lowell Singer, Disney's senior vice president of investor relations

"While we have been steadily moving in the direction of video game integration, we don't rule out the blend of licensing and self-produced and distributed video games.

"As these licensing deals expire we have the luxury of considering what's best for the company and the products."

What's good for the company, and more importantly for the products, is a collaborative effort between Marvel and variety of good game studios. I don't have to be a suit to tell you that the more different creative takes their are on a property in the video game industry, the higher chance of experimentation and success there is. Not all Marvel titles in the past have been AAA masterpieces, (They CAN do better: Most have been problematic in regards to the classic problem of fitting a game development schedule to a movie development schedule.) but for the most part we've had surprising success with the likes of Raven's Marvel: UA and more recently X-men Origins.

The concept of moving all Marvel game properties to be made in-house at Disney disturbs me. We need to know more about what their long term outlook is.
    twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By twillfast

Wolverines World of Illusion! IT WILL BE MADE!!!1

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By dbz1995
    @Cube said:
    " Aw CRAP "
    Your picture supports this comment well.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58  Edited By ryanwho
    @twillfast said:
    " Wolverines World of Illusion! IT WILL BE MADE!!!1 "
    I'm down with that.
    PS Comicvine is having a meltdown, don't go to the official thread for this over there, you will become measurably stupider.
    Avatar image for sir_hugo_sherwodywody
    Sir_Hugo_Sherwodywody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Hey spiderman whats that on your finger?
    Its my mandatory purity ring.
     NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Sir_Hugo_Sherwodywody said:
    " Hey spiderman whats that on your finger? Its my mandatory purity ring.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "
    Haha, nice one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.