Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

About save game carry over.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Expletive

So I played through mass effect once, and then restarted with a new character, which removed all visual evidence of my old character existing. 
    But I never finished the second play-through, does anyone have any idea if when I carry over my save data, will it automatically use my most recent character or will it give me a choice. 

Also will it carry over class/character appearance? 

P.S 
     I realize that most likely no one knows anymore about this than I do, since Bioware has been vague. 
     But I figured I would try. Before I go and play through whole game again.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

I'm pretty sure you get to choose which character save you want. And I would assume it will bring over your characters looks at the very least.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Expletive
    @CL60 said:
    " I'm pretty sure you get to choose which character save you want. And I would assume it will bring over your characters looks at the very least. "
    I hope if it does carry over appearance and/or class, it gives you the choice to change it because I HATED playing as a vangaurd the first time around. 

Also, I wonder if you don't carry anything over, if it will just have the events in the second game that are affected by the first game go to a default version, or if you can choose like "all good choices" or "all bad choices" from the first game.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Spoilers ahead!

I hope the Rachni make an appearance if you chose to let the queen go.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By jkz
    @expletive said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " I'm pretty sure you get to choose which character save you want. And I would assume it will bring over your characters looks at the very least. "
    I hope if it does carry over appearance and/or class, it gives you the choice to change it because I HATED playing as a vangaurd the first time around.  Also, I wonder if you don't carry anything over, if it will just have the events in the second game that are affected by the first game go to a default version, or if you can choose like "all good choices" or "all bad choices" from the first game. "
    There is a "canon" version of the story, which is the one you get if you don't carry over a save. 

Also, Bioware has stated you can chose the save, but you have to have a finished save on the character to carry it over.
    Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Expletive
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @expletive said:
    " @CL60 said:
    I hope if it does carry over appearance and/or class, it gives you the choice to change it because I HATED playing as a vangaurd the first time around.  Also, I wonder if you don't carry anything over, if it will just have the events in the second game that are affected by the first game go to a default version, or if you can choose like "all good choices" or "all bad choices" from the first game. "
    There is a "canon" version of the story, which is the one you get if you don't carry over a save.  Also, Bioware has stated you can chose the save, but you have to have a finished save on the character to carry it over. "
    so will I be missing out on some parts of the story if I don't carry over? 

Cause I made almost completely all good choices in the first game, but I also would be very upset if I never got to see Rex in the second game.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jkz
    @expletive said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @expletive said:
    " @CL60 said:
    There is a "canon" version of the story, which is the one you get if you don't carry over a save.  Also, Bioware has stated you can chose the save, but you have to have a finished save on the character to carry it over. "
    so will I be missing out on some parts of the story if I don't carry over?  Cause I made almost completely all good choices in the first game, but I also would be very upset if I never got to see Rex in the second game. "
    Hmmm you know I don't think they've said what actually occurs in the canon version of the storyline, simply the one exists. It seems to me like *spoilers* 

wrex's death would be part of canon, even though I, and most of my friends, saved him. Still, I'm not entirely sure. All that I think they've said is taht if you dont carry over a save it will use the "canon" timeline and let you design your Sheppard from there
    Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Expletive

After doing some research online it sounds like they might have you choose which choices were made in the first game during character creation (if you don't carry over)

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jedted
    @expletive said:
    "After doing some research online it sounds like they might have you choose which choices were made in the first game during character creation (if you don't carry over) "

That sounds pretty lame if they actually make you do that.  It would be much easier just to have a canon story line. 
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Wait, why would the old character get wiped out? I'm thinking about doing a 2nd play through, but I'll forget it if there's a character saving issue that I should be aware of.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Lies
    @UnsolvedParadox: No problems, ME creates a clear-save every time you finish the game which is never erased (save a hard-drive malfunction). ME2 will presumably just give you a list of your clearsaves and ask you to choose one to carry over.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gregomasta

Do you guys think the quality of Mass Effect 2 goes up if you carry a save over, or is the story just fine without me1 save data changing everything?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think it's just a little fan service, the changes can't be that severe if they want the "default" characters to work out okay. Though I am curious how this game will handle my "left Wrex standing at C-Sec" savegame.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @Gregomasta said:
    " Do you guys think the quality of Mass Effect 2 goes up if you carry a save over, or is the story just fine without me1 save data changing everything? "
    I would say that the story would be fine, but don't you think it would be fun just to see how the decisions you made would affect the game? I guess it would just add a lot of replay value to not only ME2 but ME1. A lot of people are going to be replaying ME1 before the release of ME2 because of the character save thing. For me, it's awesome because I have 4 characters and I did a whole bunch of different stuff with each of them so I'm pumped to see how each one's story will be changed a bit.
    Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Ulong

I think the best option is letting you pick all the descisions you made in the first game. What If I want to make a new character in mass effect 2, who did certain things in the first game, without having to play through the entire first game again?

A quick questionare starting a new game would be good, like (obvious spoilers ahead):

Do you want default story: yes/no 
    If no
    Wrex: Alive/Dead
    Rakni: Alive/dead
    Kaiden: Alive/Dead/Alive and had sex
    Ashley: Alive/Dead/Alive and had sex
    Liara: Sex with wierd blue alien yes/no
    Colonists on Feros: Alive/dead (assuming the game cares about them)
    Council: Alive/dead
    Apointed to Council: Udina/Anderson

That would be alot more fun than having to play through the exact same story every time I played Mass effect 2 on a new character.
     I'd bank on Bioware not doing this just because they don't want to admit how few things from the first game actually carry over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.