Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Do you actually Roleplay your Shepard make him have flaws?

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deadmeat

Often in RPG discussion and on this forum I see people saying "I'm playing Paragon, or Renegade" then they go through and min/max the choices for the "best" game or Shepard. Anyone try to take a more realistic approach? 

For example my Shepard can be a ruthless cold bastard to people outside of his crew, but still for the most obvious situations he does have heart. He won't let that Quarian go into battle only to be slaughtered, and he makes sure that stoned Volus got some help. Though get in his way your getting pushed out a window. He's a great guy to his crew, helping them if they need it but still flawed and doesn't always make the right choices. I figured a "real" Shepard wouldn't have time to help everyone with there problems, so while you miss out on a few side missions and it caused some guys to get smoked in the end mission it was cool to think that he wasn't perfect.  

Of course it's fun to play a "perfect game" to see verything, but I'm going to take my flawed Shepard into ME:3... anyone else?
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I picked the blue options.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I didn't roleplay, I played myself. What did I want to do/say in that situation. That's how I played.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

When given the choice, I always role play my characters to be as perfect as I am. ;)

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By velucyraptor
    @VilhelmNielsen said:
    " I didn't roleplay, I played myself. What did I want to do/say in that situation. That's how I played. "
    This, always, for first playthrough. Second playthrough I'm the asshole that kicks people out windows &chooses whichever dialogue option I find most amusing
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeF

I think I actually did.

In mass effect 1, I initially tried to go all out renegade but then there were some options where I just couldn't. So I chose whatever felt "right" for my shepard according to how she started off. That's why I like that they got rid of the paragon/renegade achievements in mass effect 2, cause now I can keep doing that without thinking (damn, I need 2-3 more big choices before the end to get either one of the achievements - in ME1, I literally got the renegade achievement with the final decision in the game since my para/ren points were so balanced out over the game)

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By probablytuna

For my second playthrough, I made a FemShep (Full renegade cause badass Jennifer Hale is badass) and decided to make her the polar opposite of my male Shepard who is full paragon.  For the sequel I still played with renegade in mind for pretty much most of the game until when I finally decided to be nice when talking to my teammates. Now she has full renegade as well as over half paragon. It's like my FemShep has gradually changed her personality from ridiculous badass to ridiculous badass with a heart. Much like Sten from Dragon Age: Origins. The entire game then feels like a journey where she  gets to know her crew more, much like in how the teammates open up to Shepard when they initiate deeper conversations. I'm definitely going to try balance her in Mass Effect 3 so that she's not just pure evil or pure good.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Rattle618

First playthrough: I picked what I wanted to see, leaning towards blue. 
    Second playthrough: Blue all the way. 
    Third playthrough: Red all the way.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet

I tend to do a full paragon playthrough and then a full renegade playthrough. That way you see both ends of the spectrum.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

Yeah. 

My Shepard didn't stop wetting the bed until he was 13.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By McGhee

I generally play nice but sometimes the Renegade stuff looks too awesome, and I go that direction. But I usually play one that leans good and one that leans bad. I'm re-playing both Mass Effect 1 & 2 right now as a mean lady shepherd. Very fun being the tough chic, kicking ass and taking names. ;)

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Venatio

Well I'm a kind person in real life and I don't like being an asshole, so I played my Shepard like a full paragon

catpowerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By catpowerd

Yes in the first one my Shepard was very virtuous but in number two as the situation he was in got more and more desperate and  became much more morally ambiguous to complete the tasks he needed to  ie:  Helping torturer that guy in the Garrus loyalty misson, killing that bar tender who tries to poison you, shooting through that hostages arm to kill the Spectre in Lair of the Shadow Broker ect. I think the Mass Effect story is set up to make Shepard more morally conflicted as the series goes on.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ramone

I think Bioware should take the whole paragon/renegade system out of ME 3, it forces players to min/max if they want to complete certain missions or resolve arguements. It's boring going through the whole game and not being allowed to press RT and kick a dude out a window because my 'Renegade' score will go up. Leave the speech options so I can say what I would say but not be punished for it.

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eldiax
    @VilhelmNielsen said:
    " I didn't roleplay, I played myself. What did I want to do/say in that situation. That's how I played. "
    This exactly.
    xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By xXwindoverXx
    @VilhelmNielsen said:
    I concur.
    Rubbish_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rubbish_
    @VilhelmNielsen said:
    All day
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sickVisionz
    @VilhelmNielsen said:

This is how I play my 1st playthrough in games like this.  After that I'll do all evil and all good.

@Jonny7892 said:
    "

I think Bioware should take the whole paragon/renegade system out of ME 3, it forces players to min/max if they want to complete certain missions or resolve arguements. It's boring going through the whole game and not being allowed to press RT and kick a dude out a window because my 'Renegade' score will go up. Leave the speech options so I can say what I would say but not be punished for it.

"

I totally disagree with this.  Just because you forcefully ruin the game for yourself doesn't mean they should remove it.  Just stop ruining the game for yourself.  You've got the power to control how much or how little you ruin the game for yourself.  Exercise a little self-control.
    applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By applet0n
    @Deadmeat: You played Mass Effect just like I did. I was Paragon to civilians and my crew, but a cold-hearted bastard to anyone not in that category.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Enigma777

Fuck no. I play it in a way that maximizes the amount of content I can see in a single playthrough, which means I make decisions that will benefit my goals even if I don't agree with them personally (although I totally punched that bitch reporter!)

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By animateria

I don't really role play. 

Just sometimes I think "WWMSD"  (What Would My Shepard Do). And decide on an action. 

Generally ends up being Paragon. 

I just make a Renegade character on the 2nd run.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

If I'm not min-maxing then I'm probably not having fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I played Shepard in the way I thought she would think it necessary to protect the galaxy.  Not necessarily the way I would.  Lady Shepard is way more of a hardass than I am, I could tell that as soon as I loaded her up into the original Mass Effect and she raised her eyebrow and frowned angrily at the report from Eden Prime.  I built an image of what she respected, and what she wouldn't tolerate, and went from there.

Shepard is Shepard, Shepard ain't me.  I played Dragon Age and both of the Fallout games with the player character as my avatar, but Mass Effect is Shepard's story and I'm merely guiding her through it.  Dragon Age II will be Hawke's story, and I'll guide... probably him, through it.  Depends on who voice acts Lady Hawke.  If it's Jennifer Hale, then fuck yeah Lady Hawke.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    "I picked the blue options. "

This man ruined this thread in the way it needed to be ruined.  

It's a game, the games programmed to look at wiether you're being good or bad. Middle ground means little.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Andorski

I roleplayed my Shep.  My Shepard's personality can be distilled as "servant of the innocent first and judge, jury, and executioner to the guilty second."  Basically, I picked the blue option until I was sure that the person was guilty.  Once sure of wrong doing, I shot the person in the face.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By General_D23

I don't really roleplay it, but I do have a very clear arc for my main Shepard that I'm pretty comfortable with, going from ME1 to ME2 and it's one of the reason I'm excited for ME3. He has weaknesses, fears, vices, prejudices, hopes, and all that. While reconciling my Shepard's outlook and the way he does things with my Completionist self is a bit challenging, I feel like, from the way I've made him, and the way his story is going, I've never really had a problem. I consider myself more of the Director than anything.

So kind of, I guess.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dany

I just go straight paragon or straight renegade, the game is kinda weak considering that it rewards you for dialogue options for either being all good or all evil but I don't mind. I like seeing both extremes, never played down the middle.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By EpicSteve

I pick the option I feel like I would realistically make.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aus_azn

I did this. It tells you what should have happened if you were there. 

Then I make a second file to be a massive ass to everyone.

Did the former in Persona 3 too. HUGE MISTAKE.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " I picked the blue options. "
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

I played as heelish as possible in the hope that his face would eventually fall off to reveal a Terminator skull. Also, pushing guys out of a window.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Tennmuerti

Kind of hard to roleplay when your only options are to be a dick or a saint.
    This isn't exactly a deep RPG here folks.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jasta

I make the decisions based on what I think would be the right thing to do, the first time round. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

I tried taking a more nuanced approach the first time through ME1, being ruthless when it mattered (sacrificing the Council, killing the Rachni, etc.), but not just being a dick for the sake of it.  IIRC I still ended up being a "Paragon" at the end playing like that, which annoyed me.  Playing ME1 (& later ME2) on PC I just went straight Renegade/Dick.  

The whole Paragon/Renegade system and the mechanics surrounding it are hands down the worst thing about Mass Effect, because they actively discourage role playing.  Those mechanics made sense in the Star Wars universe (KOTOR) and in a fairytale setting (Fable) -where people are either 'Good' or 'Evil'- but the Mass Effect universe is less black & white than that.  The system doesn't fit with the universe.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Jeust

I make him have my flaws. 

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Panpipe

The whole thing pisses me off. 
    Personally I'd prefer they didn't have achievements AT ALL for how you choose to do things (even if it is like ME2 where you can max either) because it still encourages you to lean more to one side. I realise this is an entirely personal problem and I could solve it by not caring about achievements but I'm addicted to those stupid fucking things, they're the bane of my gaming. The only positive I can think of for achievements is that they get you to finish things you otherwise wouldn't, or do things you otherwise wouldn't. They also seem to sway the Giantbomb editors on certain things, like Pacman DX's being so easy, which is debatably bad.

I also don't like the blue and red labels which lead to people just robotically choosing the same every time. For a game that emphasises YOUR choices and YOUR story, the idea of someone just saying, "I pick the blue options," is entirely hilarious, which I assume was intended by TheSeductiveMoose. Wouldn't it be better to use your own understanding of what is right and wrong (or paragon/renegade if you prefer) than to just accept whatever Bioware tells you is good or bad?

GullumF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GullumF

Did blue option in the first and second play through 
    Third red option currently playing it again. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I make my Shepard an irresistible love beast.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Jaktajj
    @Deadmeat:  It just came out yesterday for PS3 here in the UK and yeah, so far I've got a way of playing my FemShepard that has flaws, I think it really adds something to the experience. Making sure she's kind to the crew members but also the fact that she doesn't suffer fools - so I find myself choosing the odd Renegade dialog here and there. If I play through again I'll probably go full-on balls out Renegade! Would be fun!
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vaile

Yep, my main character will go to the edges of dark space to help out a friend, but won't hesitate to pump your armor full of thermal bullets if you cross him. 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By jorbear

When I play my Sheperd who has the same name as me, I do what I would do. Other than that, I roleplay him extensively. 

Avatar image for glorious_leader
    glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By glorious_leader

First playthrough, paragon.  Second playthrough, Renegade.  Third playthrough, I base his morals on my own.

alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By alcamin

I generally go for the Paragon options, but there have been times when the rage haze clouds Shepard's morals. Dudes have been kicked through windows on more than one occasion. He doesn't show it but he's smiling on the inside. I like to think of it as being quietly sinister.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By warxsnake

I play a mostly paragon shepard and have him snap a few times when the other person is just a jackass that doesnt need any saving, like that fatass korgan warlord who spent the night recovering from first degree burns

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm

Yeah, I did. In Mass Effect, I killed all of the colonists on Feros when they were under the influence of the Thorian. I thought about it logically from Duke Shepard's point of view. I said, "okay, they will be trying to kill me, and anybody who shoots at me, is done. What if the Thorian's control extends beyond the current subversive effect? They might be gone forever." This is how I played that. I also killed the Asari trapped in the Thorian, because she did help it, and I did not feel I could let her walk away. 

But, in Mass Effect 2, I still had a chance to help Feros in a more positive way by convincing the lady to forbid all of the unnecessary testing they were undergoing. So, even though he didn't necessarily do what he wanted, he did what he had to, to survive, and he at least gained a little bit of redemption in the end. 

I actually don't play all of my Shepards like this, but this is the one that I wanted to play through a specific way.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cbk486
    @Enigma777: I thought that the Paragon response to the  reporter was even more satisfying than the punching option.   

Anyway, I played pretty much straight through as Paragon, but I couldn't pass up the option of kicking the merc out of that window. I prefer DA's Party Approval system to Mass Effect's more black/white morality system though. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.