Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Is it better to play Shadow Broker before or after the endgame?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
    deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Okay, so I am at what seems to be a sweet spot in the game before I go get the IFF thingy, so I am going around doing all the side missions, getting as many upgrades as I can, getting everyone loyal, and doing all the DLC.  All of which I've now done, except for Shadow Broker.  I remember references being made on the Bombcast that this is linked to ME3 but I kinda wanna go ahead and play it...should I?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vaile

You can, of course. And depending on your playstyle, the Stasis power can be very helpful.  

But if continuity is what's important to you, I'd wait until you complete the game, since Shadow Broker is the first DLC linking ME2 with ME3.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Venatio

I played it  after finishing the game and I thought it made much more sense storywise, so that's what I recommend, finish the game first

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Vaile said:
    " You can, of course. And depending on your playstyle, the Stasis power can be very helpful.   But if continuity is what's important to you, I'd wait until you complete the game, since Shadow Broker is the first DLC linking ME2 with ME3. "
    That's not entirely correct... Time line wise, Shadow Broker can happen anytime after you meet Liara on Illium after the initial stuff you do on Illium.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By haggis

As far as the story goes, it doesn't matter. I think it makes more sense to do it afterward, but it doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things. I'm just getting to Illium in my sixth (damn) playthrough now, and I imagine I'll do Shadow Broker as soon as it's available, just because it's so damn fun.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

it's written as if to occur after the events of ME2.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DeeGee

They said that you should ideally play it after the main game, as it links ME2 to ME3.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vaile
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Vaile said:
    " You can, of course. And depending on your playstyle, the Stasis power can be very helpful.   But if continuity is what's important to you, I'd wait until you complete the game, since Shadow Broker is the first DLC linking ME2 with ME3. "
    That's not entirely correct... Time line wise, Shadow Broker can happen anytime after you meet Liara on Illium after the initial stuff you do on Illium. "
    Oh? Sorry for the misinformation, I thought I had read that LotSB was intended to take place after the Collector's are defeated.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Vaile said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Vaile said:
    That's not entirely correct... Time line wise, Shadow Broker can happen anytime after you meet Liara on Illium after the initial stuff you do on Illium. "
    Oh? Sorry for the misinformation, I thought I had read that LotSB was intended to take place after the Collector's are defeated. "
    Well it fits pretty much anytime during the ME2 story since the threat is always there collector's or not.  Only difference (I played both one before and one after the finish) is that the Broker actually mentions that triumph in the stand off.

Though I recommend pushing the DLC in before doing the last mission because then it's guaranteed to be in your save file.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Bouke

You'll get some usefull stuff from playing through the Shadow Broker (like information on rich mineral planets) that will help you during ME2; so i would say play it after you meet Liara for the first time on Ilium.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

Story wise any time is fine.
    But it is nice to play it before endgame for the bonuses you get.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ocean_H

Better after because:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/129/index/4638855&lf=8

Post #6: "Like many of our missions, you can do the Shadowbroker DLC before or after the suicide mission. However, because we understood that most players would be coming to this after the suicide mission, we weighted the dialog much more heavily toward the assumption that the player had already completed it."

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

After

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
    deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for everyone's input.  I went ahead and beat the game (everyone survived!), and now am making my way through Shadow Broker.  After playing ME1 and 2 back to back, it's gonna be hard going back to other games...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.