Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Man Planet Scanning Sucks!

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By holycrapitsadam

So I have been scanning planets for about 2 hours now. I am just trying to scan every planet so I never have to worry about it again but man is it boring. What do you guys think of the planet scanning aspect of this game. I wouldn't mind it so much but it seems like an imperitive part of the game because you can't get upgrades without it. IMO, I would rather they bring back the driving stuff

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mariek430

Its pretty boring but it gives me a chance to listen to podcasts im late on. If you dont have it talk to Miranda about Normandy upgrades. She'll tell you about upgrading the cursor speed. If you already have the assassin you can ask him about an upgrade that gives you 60 probes, as oppose to 30. Last tip if you just tap the left trigger as you move it around  a planet it will go much quicker, you just have to watch the little reading bars on the right side of the screen and wait for them to spike.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikeeegeee

I haven't played the game yet, but this seems to be the only gripe anyone has with it. Is there really nothing else wrong with this game? How wondeful would that be. Also, I'm pretty sure there have been other threads on this matter.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    No Way Man!  Planet Scanning is lotsa fun and a really nice diversion, just like all the minigames in Mass Effect 2.
    NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NegativeCreep

It's better than the awful inventory management from ME1.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Darkstar614

I don't find it that bad, then again, I'm using a mouse. I can sort of imagine it being retarded with an analog stick.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I thought the planet scanning was pretty cool at first, but as I near the 40 hour mark I find myself loathing it. I wouldn't mind punching the person at Bioware that thought this would stay fun after the 50th time. I actually thought I was done scanning planets last night and was so excited to be done with it that I tweeted about... I was very mistaken. I bet I've scanned at least 25 more planets since then, and there's plenty more to go. I just can't leave until that shit's depleted.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm okay with planet scanning. It's probably going to grate on me a little bit near the end, but as for now, it's fine.

It's not imperative, either. You can get through the game with the default equipment.

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jikla

I'm done with the game. And I can say I miss the good old Mako planet exploring instead of this boring scanning shit. I loved to drive around on uncharted planets and kill Tresher Maws, find abnormalities and ores :'<

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By bagmanforhire

get the scanning upgrade for the ship, moves faster makes it least time consuming. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

I actually really like the scanning... it's a nice little diversion while you think about the other parts of the game, a nice way to let everything sink in.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Burns09

I think the scanning is really fun and a really cool mini game idea.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Evilsbane

I don't know maybe Bioware's awesomeness has blinded me but I really don't mind the mini game, hitting a big deposit of Iridium always makes me happy cause I am working towards upgrading my dudes.

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @Evilsbane said:
    " I don't know maybe Bioware's awesomeness has blinded me but I really don't mind the mini game, hitting a big deposit of Iridium always makes me happy cause I am working towards upgrading my dudes. "
    Agreed except for the Iridium part.  I have so much goddamn Iridium and none of my upgrades need it.
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lowbrow

I like the plant scanning, atiny addictive mini game isnt so bad. And besides, I just bought the scanner upgrade, havent seen what it does yet, but I'm guessing the Devs understood that the tedum might be much as there are probably a ton of planets to mine, so Im hoping they make the target reticle bigger.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " I don't know maybe Bioware's awesomeness has blinded me but I really don't mind the mini game, hitting a big deposit of Iridium always makes me happy cause I am working towards upgrading my dudes. "
    Agreed except for the Iridium part.  I have so much goddamn Iridium and none of my upgrades need it. "
    See I keep finding Paladium I have so much of that shit its not even funny, but Element Zero and Iridium are the materials that I can never seem to find fast enough.
    Skyswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skyswordsman
    @Fish_Face_McGee: Its the last 2 resources for me. Iridium <3 I actually love the minigame of scanning planets. Im playing on a PC so I can scan planets really fast with a high dpi mouse + the scanner upgrade. Its fun reading the little bio's of the planets while im at it. Good lore in there.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dany

I just want it to go faster.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bicycleham

Better than driving a giant metal piece of shit that defies gravity and the laws of physics around a barren wasteland only to find 5 pounds of nothing.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Branthog
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " No Way Man!  Planet Scanning is lotsa fun and a really nice diversion, just like all the minigames in Mass Effect 2. "
    Except it isn't a mini-game. What is the game? The only challenge is how patient you can be at a completely mindless and repetitive task. I prefer this over the "hit stupid looking planet with idiotic terrain with shitty vehicle" thing by an order of magnitude, but it's still pointless. It would be great if it had some sort of variety or if you could upgrade your kit beyond that first "scanning" upgrade. So that at least you could make it a little less monotonous. Faster, wider scan, something . . .

When you think about it, it doesn't even make sense in the context of the story. The guy who is out to save the galaxy and has the backing of what is apparently the richest collective of people in existence and can get anything he wants by simply asking Cerberus for it . . . has to mine for resources throughout the galaxy to get by while balancing the whole "seek out and destroy the greatest evil ever known" mission?
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Branthog
    @Lowbrow said:
    " I like the plant scanning, atiny addictive mini game isnt so bad. And besides, I just bought the scanner upgrade, havent seen what it does yet, but I'm guessing the Devs understood that the tedum might be much as there are probably a ton of planets to mine, so Im hoping they make the target reticle bigger. "
    The scanning upgrade lets you move the scanner a tiny bit faster. My main complaint with it (other than it making no sense and having no context in the story) is that there's no "game" to it. The only "challenge" is to see if you can move the mouse up and down each sector of the entire planet and pull the trigger when your controller starts to spaz out, before you throw yourself into traffic in real life. It's like calling breathing a mini-game. I guess they had to come up with something, though, to pad the number of hours they can claim the game is.

But hey - at least it's not the fucking "drive the Mako all over the most ridiculous terrain ever" shit again.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By spacetrucking
    @HolyCrapItsAdam:  It's not a mini-game, it's a very boring activity - I don't think you're supposed to enjoy it. That's why I would suggest you only do it in 10-15 min intervals instead of all at once. It might just end up killing the whole game for you.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By handlas

it is boring.  I scanned like 8 planets back to back.  The small planets seem to be the "Rich" ones that you can get a lot of stuff quickly.  I was just getting 50,000 Platinum to heal my face.  Which I did ... and didn't seem worth it.  Does healing your facial scars do anything other than make you prettier?  I just bought the quicker scan thing as well so that will make it go a bit faster.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By belaraphon

planet scanning is pretty tedious.  i am hoping for a second scanning upgrade. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By KaosAngel

Please tell me there's a mod for the PC version that lets it go faster.  >.<

I can't do this shit anymore.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond

I got the planet scanner upgrade and it's definitely a lot more OK now.  Not a really involved gameplay mechanic, but I can earn the resources for any upgrade pretty quickly now.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Driadon

I do like the scanning, though I wish Bioware had employed a few other mini games when it comes to uncharted worlds just to mix it up. 
    Oh well, for a diversion it works well.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By SonicFire

It's the single worst thing about the game. What I really hope is that you can keep your materials between playthroughs, so I don't have to scan the entire universe on every run....

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Demyx

I hated it, now I like it.....Its exciting.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By MildMolasses
    @handlas said:
    "it is boring.  I scanned like 8 planets back to back.  The small planets seem to be the "Rich" ones that you can get a lot of stuff quickly.  I was just getting 50,000 Platinum to heal my face.  Which I did ... and didn't seem worth it.  Does healing your facial scars do anything other than make you prettier?  I just bought the quicker scan thing as well so that will make it go a bit faster. "

That's all I was scanning for too. Don't really car about the rest of the upgrades, I just wanted the scars gone, especially since my dickery was making them worse 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Andorski

As bad as it is... I still find it better than traveling on the Mako.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Jams

It's acceptable to me, but it could have been done better. For instance. 

You buy refineries on planets that do the 10 material per hour deal. You can upgrade them with money and maybe they can get attacked and you can buy defensive upgrades for them. Or you can buy them from the factory in one of the space ports. 

But at least scanning isn't as bad as the 2 hacking mini games (EDIT for the PC version). Those were okay the first couple of times but get annoying after a while.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Mariek430 said:
    " Last tip if you just tap the left trigger as you move it around  a planet it will go much quicker, you just have to watch the little reading bars on the right side of the screen and wait for them to spike. "
    Oooh thanks! That's a great idea.  

Originally I thought you could only rotate the planet, and not the cursor, so for like a half hour I was only scanning planets' equators hahaha.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#34  Edited By sarahsdad
    @XII_Sniper:  thank you for mentioning that before I got too far into scanning, I had no idea.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ
    @jams said:
    "  But at least scanning isn't as bad as the 2 hacking mini games (EDIT for the PC version). Those were okay the first couple of times but get annoying after a while. "
    What is the difference in the hacking games between the PC and xbox version? I'm playing the xbox one now, and they're honestly not too bad, the weird colored text one isn't the greatest, but it's still manageable. And the little game of concentration is stupid easy. 

@sarahsdad: Aha! So I'm not alone in that, okay cool.  

Yeah just use both sticks to move around while scanning.
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlKusanagi

I kind of like it. It's like the fishing games that used to pop up in JRPGs and action games back in the day. I just pop on a podcast or turn to Discovery Channel and zone out while I strip mine those suckers barren.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By maxszy

I like it in some ways. I never do it in large amounts...few planets a time, one galaxy at a time I guess. Just do it in between doing other things and when I need more of a various resource.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

I want all the upgrades, but I hate that I have to spend my free time to get it.
    Feels to me like filler bullshit to make the game longer. 
    Personally I don't have alot of spare time to waste hours on mining stuff, so I'll have to skip most upgrades.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.