Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME2: Hardware murderer

Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Zealousadonis
    When Mass Effect 2 came out last year, I got it for the PC to continue the story of my Shepard from the first game, even though I could barely remember most of the choices I made. It was choppy, but my laptop could run it. Not long after I finished the game, my laptop stopped recognizing it's power cord, so it wouldn't keep itself charged. I took it in since it was under warranty and it turned out the motherboard was fried.  Thankfully, it was covered by the warranty or I would have been out $450 in repairs. But since ME2 was the only game I had been playing on my laptop, it seems like a likely suspect for why this happened.

Now, a year later I picked up the game on the PS3 hoping for a smoother-running, non-motherboard frying experience for both this game, and ME3 when it comes out. As I was playing, 40 hours into my game, reading an e-mail on my private terminal on the Normandy, my system just shuts down. It was the infamous yellow light of death. So now Mass Effect 2 has claimed another piece of my hardware. This one not covered by warranty, and I can only hope I can get this PS2 compatible system repaired.

It breaks my heart, I enjoy the game so much, but it seems the universe is making significant effort to stop me from playing it. I am not discouraged however. I will get my system fixed, or if not a new one. As much as this game seems to want to stop me from playing it, at the same time I'm okay playing through it again and again. It is however starting to feel like an abusive(and expensive!) relationship.
    Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Zealousadonis
    When Mass Effect 2 came out last year, I got it for the PC to continue the story of my Shepard from the first game, even though I could barely remember most of the choices I made. It was choppy, but my laptop could run it. Not long after I finished the game, my laptop stopped recognizing it's power cord, so it wouldn't keep itself charged. I took it in since it was under warranty and it turned out the motherboard was fried.  Thankfully, it was covered by the warranty or I would have been out $450 in repairs. But since ME2 was the only game I had been playing on my laptop, it seems like a likely suspect for why this happened.

Now, a year later I picked up the game on the PS3 hoping for a smoother-running, non-motherboard frying experience for both this game, and ME3 when it comes out. As I was playing, 40 hours into my game, reading an e-mail on my private terminal on the Normandy, my system just shuts down. It was the infamous yellow light of death. So now Mass Effect 2 has claimed another piece of my hardware. This one not covered by warranty, and I can only hope I can get this PS2 compatible system repaired.

It breaks my heart, I enjoy the game so much, but it seems the universe is making significant effort to stop me from playing it. I am not discouraged however. I will get my system fixed, or if not a new one. As much as this game seems to want to stop me from playing it, at the same time I'm okay playing through it again and again. It is however starting to feel like an abusive(and expensive!) relationship.
    ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShadowofIntent

I don't suppose you'd be willing to give the xbox version a try?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Man, now you need to get ME3 on 360 and get a RROD.  

I'm kidding, and sorry about your PS3. Recently my old 60GB model stopped reading Blu-ray discs, and I ended up buying a new one. 

Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zealousadonis

I don't have an Xbox. My dad does, and as much as I'd like to shoot for breaking all three systems with the game, I don't think he'd appreciate me destroying it.

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dpedal1

Ehhh, sounds coincidental to me.  Sorry about your Ps3, i just had to replace mine too, it sucks.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By august
    Every big releas supposedly breaks game systems left and right.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SomeJerk

This is why I'm scared of the next console generation. My Wii got the WC24 burned GPU RAM, waited for the Slim before getting a PS3, four 360 owning friends in town all suffered RRODs. Praying they learnt their lessons.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Edwardryu

man, that's very unfortunate. sorry. I think that your PS 3 is defective. have you tried to ask this issue to Sony or seller? you should get compensation. if I were you, I will do that.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Zealousadonis said:
    " I don't have an Xbox. My dad does, and as much as I'd like to shoot for breaking all three systems with the game, I don't think he'd appreciate me destroying it. "
    I love my Xbox, but I'm on my fourth one. They all have to die sometime, might as well be you and Mass Effect 2 that does it in.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Zealousadonis: 

It's just coincidence.

As you said, this game was the only one you played on your laptop. So if you were playing any sort of demanding modern game on it it would have happened all the same. I mean....it's still a laptop, and without proper cooling at all times that stuff happens. 

Also laptops don't recognize power cables all the time. It just happened to me on my work laptop, that plays absolutely nothing. 

And those launch PS3s are breaking at a high rate right now due to YLOD, you could have been watching a movie or going through your playstation trophies.
    Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zealousadonis

It was a MGS4 PS3, so it was kind of old and has been through a lot. How much I was playing ME2 on it probably didn't help. I managed to fix the system using a video I found online though. It has been retired for a new slim but I still hang on to it since it's a better ps2 than my ps2.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Aus_azn
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    "  Recently my old 60GB model stopped reading Blu-ray discs, and I ended up buying a new one.  "
    I feel bad for you, especially due to the loss of backwards compatibility with PS2. They seriously need to just release a small usb aftermarket unit or something with an EE inside of it so that we can run PS2 games again. It'd sell like hotcakes.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Bouke

Wow, that it really unfortunate! Are you going to try playing it for the third time? 

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Similar thing happened to me with Half Life 2 back in the day. First it clamed my Geforce 5200, then my power supply and finally CPU.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MeierTheRed

Damn that is pretty sucky. Hardware woes are the worst, i still have my launch 360, but its RRoD on me twice. So i hardly ever turn it on anymore. Got a PS3 a few years back never had issues with that, sold it to a friend and it still runs well. With the money from that i bought my self a PS3 Slim, which is still working. 

But with my luck hardware failure could be lurking around every corner. Recently my Windows box started doing memory dumps, turned out it was the one of my newly bought RAM that was the culprit. So had to replace those, luckily there was no issue with that, im just happy it didn't turn out to be a motherboard slot that was busted.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Edwardryu

those of you, who play games on laptop, should be careful. as you know, gaming demands for high performance (CPU, GPU at that same time). so you need to close all apps you don't use. probably it's better to close all apps which I do all the time. plus, there are few gaming boost software which help your laptop performance little bit. they also help to turn unused apps off automatically. I use 'game booster', 'Gboost'. especially, Gboost is extremely powrful. there are 17 options you could customize (I mean you could turn off or on). well, anyway, be careful always when you play games on laptop.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hexx462

ME2 was the game that caused a RRoD on my original Xbox360 elite, had that thing for three years too. I don't blame it per se, but I had been playing it non stop the entire weekend.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " Man, now you need to get ME3 on 360 and get a RROD.  "
    Haha. XD
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Potter9156

My 360s power brick died recently while playing ME2. And to think this was my GOTY last year.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck

Mass Effect 2 didn't wreck my system, it made it immortal. It's that good of a game. 

*patiently awaits the 360 spontaneously combusting*

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By m0rdr3d

One, sorry for your bum luck with tech lately. Two, sorry it's interfering with a great experience like Mass Effect 2. 
    As others have said, probably just a coincidence. In fact, I think I saw a status update from Ryan that said his backwards compatible PS3 failed just recently.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HereAllDay

About your PS3, Sony will probably give you a refurb of the same model, a friend lost his 60 gig to the ylod last year and they gave him another 60gig refurb for some amount of money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.