Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

PS3 version. How much better does it look?

• 55 results
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dtat

So the PS3 version apparently utilizes the ME3 engine. I haven't played it, and I have to ask: Does it look better? If so, in what ways? If you've played it, let me know what you think!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xyzygy

From the reviews I read it actually looks a bit worse, though not by much. Read that article DoctorChimp linked to it explains how.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dtat

Goddammit. So was all that shit about using the new engine a lie? Or is the "new" engine not really any different? Uggh I don't understand a lot about the tech behind games. All I know is, better hardware and newer engines should mean nicer-looking games. That's my opinion.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @Dtat: The new engine actually makes the game feel unnecessarily jerky, according to Eurogamer. they also didn't take advantage of the Blu Ray to make the cutscenes look any better and the lighting is questionable. 

It looks like the other two versions are still the better ones, namely the PC if you have a good rig. All DLC combined would make them the cheaper versions too. The PS3 version isn't the definitive version at all, especially with more DLC on the way
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Dtat said:

" Goddammit. So was all that shit about using the new engine a lie? Or is the "new" engine not really any different? Uggh I don't understand a lot about the tech behind games. All I know is, better hardware and newer engines should mean nicer-looking games. That's my opinion. "

First off...better hardware? Calm down, PS3 and 360 are both graphically middling PCs and kinda the same...

Second PS3 has been notoriously difficult to get Unreal Engine 3 to work on it. 

So it probably is using the Mass Effect 3 engine, but it's being offset by being on the PS3.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

The default Shepard dood looks a little more tired, exhausted--and even older in some shots--on the ps3 version, from those clips shown. The lighting isn't as impressive on the ps3 version, either, but they're nothing to make any fuss over, least for people who are taking their first step into the Mass Effect verse with ME2 on the PS3. 

The framerate is more unstable in the PS3 version too, apparently, which is common amongst ps3 ports.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @Abyssfull: That's it! I noticed there was something different looking about him, it's that he looks tired or something. I just couldn't really pinpoint it. Think it might have to do with the lighting, or maybe they altered some wrinkles on his Cerberus rebuilding? :P
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By emem
    @Dtat: They simply can't make everything look much better on consoles, because the hardware is old. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until late 2012 or 2013 (new consoles?) for something to blow your mind again (graphically speaking).
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dtat
    @Doctorchimp said:

" @Dtat said:

" Goddammit. So was all that shit about using the new engine a lie? Or is the "new" engine not really any different? Uggh I don't understand a lot about the tech behind games. All I know is, better hardware and newer engines should mean nicer-looking games. That's my opinion. "

First off...better hardware? Calm down, PS3 and 360 are both graphically middling PCs and kinda the same... Second PS3 has been notoriously difficult to get Unreal Engine 3 to work on it.  So it probably is using the Mass Effect 3 engine, but it's being offset by being on the PS3. "
    I didn't mean to imply the PS3 is vastly superior, but the way I understand it, the hardware is capable of more. (I could be wrong though.) Also like I said, I don't know a lot about the tech, so troubles with the Unreal Engine are foreign to me. 

I'd like to point out I wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing, but it seems a little odd that with how much Bioware was talking up this thing as being more than just a regular ass PS3 port, we get the same exact issues PS3 ports always have. Just disappointing is all. I hope this isn't an indication of the quality of the ME3 engine. It would be nice if ME3 made some graphical improvements like ME2 did over ME1. But even if it doesn't, ME2 is a beautiful game.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Dtat said:
    mass effect 2 engine = unreal engine 3.x.x.x arbitrary number 
    mass effect 3 engine = unreal engine 3.x.x.x.1 with some other thing nobody cares about. 

i think it's lower resolution on PS3 (as i've discovered a hell of a lot of games are these days) and the colors arent as vivid (also as always)
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

alternatively you can just get the PC version which looks fantastic and is always at 60 frames, except loading screens where it dips to 20 for some odd reason

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Dtat: The new engine actually makes the game feel unnecessarily jerky, according to Eurogamer. they also didn't take advantage of the Blu Ray to make the cutscenes look any better and the lighting is questionable.  It looks like the other two versions are still the better ones, namely the PC if you have a good rig. All DLC combined would make them the cheaper versions too. The PS3 version isn't the definitive version at all, especially with more DLC on the way "
    that's because the cutscenes are rendered in the game engine and are not pre-rendered CG.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dtat
    @Laketown said:
    " alternatively you can just get the PC version which looks fantastic and is always at 60 frames, except loading screens where it dips to 20 for some odd reason "
    I'm actually playing that right now! haha! I was mostly curious about how the new engine looks. I guess I'll have to wait until ME3 after all.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By dagas
    @Dtat said:

" @Doctorchimp said:

" @Dtat said:

First off...better hardware? Calm down, PS3 and 360 are both graphically middling PCs and kinda the same... Second PS3 has been notoriously difficult to get Unreal Engine 3 to work on it.  So it probably is using the Mass Effect 3 engine, but it's being offset by being on the PS3. "
    I didn't mean to imply the PS3 is vastly superior, but the way I understand it, the hardware is capable of more. (I could be wrong though.) Also like I said, I don't know a lot about the tech, so troubles with the Unreal Engine are foreign to me.  I'd like to point out I wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing, but it seems a little odd that with how much Bioware was talking up this thing as being more than just a regular ass PS3 port, we get the same exact issues PS3 ports always have. Just disappointing is all. I hope this isn't an indication of the quality of the ME3 engine. It would be nice if ME3 made some graphical improvements like ME2 did over ME1. But even if it doesn't, ME2 is a beautiful game. "
    The PS3 has more potential yes, but it's harder to code for. Especially since ME2 is a 360 game first and foremost. There is a reason why the best looking games on the PS3 are PS3 exclusive. 

Also you get diminishing returns at this point in the console life cycle. The closer they get to the limit of what the console can do the more they have to optimize for the same increase. We have never had this long a life cycle for a console before. When ME3 comes out the 360 will have been out for six years. I like to think of the FF games on PS1 as examples. Going from FF7 in 97 to FF8 in 99 was a huge improvement, but going from FF8 to FF9 in 2001 was a very minor improvement graphically.
    Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Wiseblood
    @Marz said:
    "that's because the cutscenes are rendered in the game engine and are not pre-rendered CG. "

There are a few pre-rendered cutscenes and they're still using the same shitty Bink videos from the 360/PC versions.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Dtat said:

Think Naughtydog have proved that the PS3 is capable of incredibly slick graphics and amazing environmental effects with Uncharted 2.
    But that game was designed, built and optimized for the PS3 exclusively. The PS3 is hindered by the fact that it's so different to develop for if you're making a game multiplatform. 

The simplest way to look at it is that PC and 360 have very similar ways to develop for so a company that have been focusing on PC could go into the 360 easier than for the PS3 that's built very differently in the hardware.
    Whether it's better or worse is left to everyone's personal opinion. I'm just saying that it's different.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
    @PhatSeeJay: Not to mention Uncharted 2 was developed with the advisement and watchful eye from Sony who helped on how to maximize the look of the game. God of War 3 and Uncharted 2, the only 2 games that couldn't be done on the 360 that are exclusive to PS3, had direct intervention from those who created the system. That is a major advantage that they had and it definitely paid off. Microsoft doesn't need to do that because the 360 is much, much closer to a PC.
    flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By flannelbeard
    @Doctorchimp said:

Second PS3 has been notoriously difficult to get Unreal Engine 3 to work on it.  So it probably is using the Mass Effect 3 engine, but it's being offset by being on the PS3. "  

It may be tough but there are a lot of UE games on the PS3:  

• Bioshock 1 & 2 
    • Borderlands 
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum
    • Unreal Tournement 

just to name a few. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3  

Is the new ME3 engine still based on Unreal or is it something custom? 
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By valrog

It does some things better, some things worse, no extreme difference, really.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By slowbird

whatever, just buy it and play it!  graphics aren't everything, and if you have a PS3 but no 360 and your PC is slow and old, this is your only chance to enjoy one of the best games in recent memory.  Who cares about this console fanboy pissing match?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @flannelbeard said:
    " @Doctorchimp said:

Second PS3 has been notoriously difficult to get Unreal Engine 3 to work on it.  So it probably is using the Mass Effect 3 engine, but it's being offset by being on the PS3. "  

• Bioshock 1 & 2 
    • Borderlands 
    • Unreal Tournement 
     just to name a few.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3   Is the new ME3 engine still based on Unreal or is it something custom?  "
    Because me saying Unreal Engine 3 is harder to work with on the PS3 means that the PS3 can't run Unreal Engine 3 right? RIGHT!??? 

Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 still looks really good but just like those games you listed it's just a tad sharper on the 360. The reason why this man was confused and why this whole thing is kind of a joke is because for the last few months Bioware and EA had been selling the PS3 version *hard* as the definitive version.
    flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By flannelbeard
    @valrog said:
    " It does some things better, some things worse, no extreme difference, really. "
    +1 this. I will enjoy playing it on my PS3 no matter what the super minor rendering differences are :)
    flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By flannelbeard
    @Doctorchimp said:

" @flannelbeard said:

" @Doctorchimp said:

• Bioshock 1 & 2 
    • Borderlands 
    • Unreal Tournement 
     just to name a few.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3   Is the new ME3 engine still based on Unreal or is it something custom?  "
    Because me saying Unreal Engine 3 is harder to work with on the PS3 means that the PS3 can't run Unreal Engine 3 right? RIGHT!???   
     thats not what i meant. just pointing out that there are a lot of games that run UE3 that are for all intensive purposes exactly the same cross console. 

the differences are typically minor enough +/- where you don't even notice while playing unless you look really hard for them. 99% of us are likely not analyzing every frame although these objective comparison videos are interesting.

Looking around elsewhere, it does appear, the ME3 engine is still just unreal but further customized. I am a little underwhelmed too though because of all the talk of how much better is was supposed to look. Eh, i will enjoy the game regardless i am sure.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By mordukai
    @xyzygy: Not surprised at all. Usual BioWare marketing in order to sell more copies. As far as not using the BD capacity then it's no surprise at all since about the only developers actually using the BD storage capacity are Sony's first party developers. All the other are in a state of "Can't be bothered". It's actually turning into a very interesting state, to me at least, seeing the gap between the 3rd party and 1st party getting wider and wider.  
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By s7evn

Are they not just using the UE3 engine like in the first game?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60

So they lied when they said it looks and runs better? Nice!

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By yyZiggurat

If you care about how it looks, build a gaming PC.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MisterChief

It looks like they turned a lot of the shadows off in the PS3 version too probably in order to make it run smoother. I say just get the PC version.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By advocatefish

Either way the game takes forever to load in places.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tsoglani

What do you expect when a game is ported?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ravensword
    @xyzygy:

Dont think they said it looked worse, just that it performed a bit worse. But just a bit.  

Anwyayway, yeah, it dosent really look better, but it looks the same or whatever, so if you wanna get it get it.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ravensword
    @Doctorchimp:

lately UE 3 games have been about the same on both, but yeah they still slightly favor 360. Mass Effect 2 looks great on PS3. If it looks better on 360, its only by a unnoticeable margin. Only thing different is lighting, and that more personal taste.  Jduging by comparisons it seems to look about the same, but performs a tad worse. but you wouldnt notice it probaly.
    Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba

For all of those who re-purchased ME2 on the PS3 (which was asinine to begin with) I'm so sorry that you wasted your cash.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By kingzetta
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Doctorchimp: lately UE 3 games have been about the same on both, but yeah they still slightly favor 360. Mass Effect 2 looks great on PS3. If it looks better on 360, its only by a unnoticeable margin. Only thing different is lighting, and that more personal taste.  Jduging by comparisons it seems to look about the same, but performs a tad worse. but you wouldnt notice it probaly. "
    Since you can see the people thanks to the different lighting in the PS3 version.
    I'd call that better
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bybeach

I'm replaying the Pc version right now myself also. Pc gaming, which was supposed to be dieing so I been hearing, has clawed and kicked ass it's way well past the consoles. It will never have the absolute dominance it did before, but Pc gaming rocks. 

Gawd it looks so good on Pc!  But to be fair, I saw Black Ops(I hear not too demanding a game really) on a PS3, and it looked very good....I'd play it. For some reason I have a real dislike of the X-box 360 because it is put together so cheaply. But it's track record, for dev purposes or whatever, I have heard is often  at least marginally better than Ps3's. And yet every game I've played on the Ps3 I've liked very much. It does occur to me most were exclusives, like MGS 4. Not all though.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @flannelbeard: @Raven_Sword:  

You guys are insecure and need to relax... 

Everything you guys posted towards me....is exactly what I said and meant. 

Unreal Engine 3 is harder to code on the PS3, so the difference usually favors the 360 by a tad. Exactly like what happened with Mass Effect 2.  

You guys replied to me like I was saying the PS3 is garbage and the 360 is 10 times better. Calm down.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Well honestly the textures looked lower-res, and there was some extreme framerate dips in the videos I saw, nowhere near as bad as ME1 on 360 though. It's still a good version of an amazing game. Deciding not to play it because of a few small problems like this is blasphemy.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By OneManX
    I'm like 5-6 hours into the game and only had bad slowdown after load screens when i was starting a mission, I DL'd it from PSN, so the load times are a bit quicker, except when you change levels on the ship, it takes a tad too long. The graphics look fine to me, then again, I'm not crazy and counting pixels. some texture pop in, but as stated it's the Unreal Engine, it didn't bother me then, it's not gonna start now.  

I guess I should just say, It's Mass Effect 2, that game is STILL awesome, you should probably play it.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ravensword
    @Doctorchimp:

I dont think my comment came off like that.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By spazmaster666

Honestly, I never expected the PS3 version to look better (the 256MB of VRAM is a big limiting factor for the PS3), nor do I expect that Mass Effect 3 will looks significantly better than Mass Effect 2. I think that at this point, there's only so much that you can do with the Unreal Engine 3.5 and that the ME3 engine will probably be more about optimization and subtle improvements than necessarily a significant graphical upgrade.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Doctorchimp
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CL60
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ravensword

Anyone else noticing the sound dosent sync up right during some cutscenes?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ravensword
    @CL60:

How much of that is the different lighting, though? Im playing the game right now on PS3 and textures looked just as good to me.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sjosz
    @CL60:  As near as I can tell that looks like lighting, not texturing.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CL60
    @Sjosz said:

" @CL60:  As near as I can tell that looks like lighting, not texturing. "

His face clearly looks washed out on ps3 version, and more textured on the 360 version. His face has a lot more detail on the 360 version.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sjosz
    @CL60: Which does not have to be a symptom of a difference in texture, can just as well be lighting.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60
    @Sjosz said:

" @CL60: Which does not have to be a symptom of a difference in texture, can just as well be lighting. "

Not really. You can clearly look at that picture and see it's the texture. Changing the lighting wont remove the grooves in garrus' face, or remove parts of the detail in his eye thing. Changing the lighting wont make his face look blurry and washed out.. his face clearly has more detail on the 360 version that is not due to lighting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.