Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

So I downloaded ME 2 from the PSN... (size and time)

flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By flannelbeard

For anyone interested, I took the plunge and bought ME2 on the PSN. There are two things to download:  

1.  ME2 weighing in at 12GB 
    2.  Cerberus Pack at 675MB (roughly)

My PS3 is connected wirelessly but I do have FiOS. The download took about 5-6 hours (in the background while I played other games). The installation took about 45 minutes but I did not sit and watch it the whole time. I have not gotten to play it yet but the download and install was not so bad. Faster than waiting for an Amazon shipment and more environmentally friendly too :) Plus now I have once less game case cluttering my shelf. 

There is a note on the PSN store page stating that you need 25GB of free space for the d/l and install. Not an issue on my PS3 since I have the extra space, but keep that in mind as well. 

Overall, I am finding just downloading full games better than have the discs. I like just having the games on the system instead of having to fumble with plastic discs. I do hope that this trend continues to pick up steam (um, yea, i went there ;) ).
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eric_buck

I like the idea of downloading games. But when I pay for something it's nice to have a solid "thing" to own... if that makes sense.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By gamb1t

You heard it here first gentlemen!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bocam

What is the Cerberus Pack?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Azteck
    @Eric_Buck said:
    " I like the idea of downloading games. But when I pay for something it's nice to have a solid "thing" to own... if that makes sense. "
    I know exactly what you mean.
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By eric_buck
    @Bocam: It's like a sweet package that comes with a giant 3 headed dog! 

EDIT: A cerberus is a 3 headed dog right? Or is it a 2 headed lion...? 

Goddamn.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I'm big on buying games on Steam and XboxLive and PSN. Especially from Steam because with my current ISP solution it goes INSANELY fast to install a full game compared to installing from discs. 

I'm on Eric's preference though, I like to have a solid copy on my shelf. It's also cheaper!
    Funny thing. Bought Empire Total War for 30 bucks in the stores instead of 50 on Steam (or any other download provider, it's effin expensive to buy games from download services) but inputted the key into Steam and was ready to play within 20 minutes. The physical copy went up on the shelf the second I had inputted the serial key into Steam.

@Eric_Buck

said:

EDIT: A cerberus is a 3 headed dog right? Or is it a 2 headed lion...?  Goddamn. "

It's a multi-headed dog that guards the gates of Hades (Usually 3 heads though).
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy

omg... 5 to 6 hours.... I really would rather drive somewhere to pick up a game and have 4 hours sunk in already.  

My PS3 is a 40GB (which is really 37 GB) so I'd have less than 25GB left on the hard disk. And with so many games requiring installs that would be a problem :P

flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By flannelbeard
    @Bocam: its the extra dlc content.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

I like having a disc.  I doubt that games will move to downloads as fast as music since part of what helped music move to digital downloads was that for a while there, most of us and probably still do get them for free.  But when you pay 60 bucks for something, I would like for it to be something I can hold.  To have to count on the cloud to let me use it when I want to is a little bit to out there for me right now.  Too many times does an internet connection go down and then what do you do? 
    Furthermore, digital downloads of games would be sweet if 1) i could preload the game before release so as soon as it hits 12am, I can play.  2) If the PSN wasn't so damn slow and who the fuck thought installs on the PS3 were a good idea, why doesn't the 360 do that?  3) If my internet connection were more reliable and a lot faster.  Fuck I hate AT&T.

flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By flannelbeard

In a previous thread I did mention I was contemplating getting the PSN version or just waiting to get it cheap during an Amazon Goldbox Deal. I wound up getting the PSN version partially to see how it goes and, well, as much as I didn't want to pay $60 for what is now a year old game I do want to show my support for BioWare for bring a great version of ME2 to the PS3. 

The game is not in the cloud, it is installed locally and played locally, just like a 360 Games on Demand game. It's not really any different than that, except the games on the PS3 can be much larger since there is no DVD size limit restriction. At least it wasn't 50GB ;) (Uncharted 2 fills a full 50GB Blu-Ray disc for example, IIRC).

I usually only get smaller titles via download but this was a good experiment and one that has turned out well so far, for me. Of course if you don't have a fast internet connection, downloading 12+ gigs is not an option. 

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By maxszy
    @Eric_Buck said:
    " @Bocam: It's like a sweet package that comes with a giant 3 headed dog!  EDIT: A cerberus is a 3 headed dog right? Or is it a 2 headed lion...?  Goddamn. "
    You were correct the first time. 

And as much as I like the idea of downloading, I also like having the physical "disc". 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.