Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

So I want to play this...

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fresh2deafbill

Is playing through the first one absolutely necessary to enjoy ME2?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

if you have an xbox 360 (which guessing from the color of your name, you do) it helps get the full experience as you can import your save and carry the story through from the first game. 

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary but it's deffinately reccomended.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Absolutely necessary? No. However, the first one is an excellent game in it's own right and for me it significantly improved the experience to see the choices I'd made in the first game carry over to the second one.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By gamb1t

hey look its 1.1.11

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By benpack

No.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

Men and women will literally throw their bodies at you every mission in that game (if you choose to be Adept).  Try it out, bro.  Bet you can get it for cheap somewhere.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By droop

Nah. It's a good game, but you can just read up on it if you want.

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fresh2deafbill
    @rjayb89 Yeah i think I'll get the first one if i can get it cheap somewhere...I'll see how much amazon is charging
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Subjugation

It isn't required by any means, however you will be doing yourself a favor by experiencing both parts. They are both fantastic games. ME2 gives you a rough outline of events from the first game but actually playing through it is vastly superior.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

Yes

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

On a more serious note, I think you should play it, however, if the universe doesn't grab you like it did me (enough so that I would play through the first one three times and the sequel three times, as well, If I can remember correctly), you probably should pass on to the next one which is much more streamlined meaning if you've played a game like Gears of War, the shooting will be much more familiar and easy to get used to, take cover and shoot. 

No insult to the first one, I actually think that game is fantastic and before the sequel came out I thought how could they top the last one with the sequel?  And they did.  In every way imaginable (despite some story gripes I have with the game, I personally feel like I reached the mid-point of game rather than the end when I finished).  The game is still great in its own way despite some bothersome vehicle sections, or actually how sluggish it controls really (I didn't mind driving around with it but it can have some irregular physics).  But, whatever, man, that's just like my opinion.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By zidd

If you are interested in playing Mass Effect you should play it before Mass Effect 2 not just because of the aforementioned save importing but because the original's combat is pretty weak compared to the 2nd game. Also for maximum enjoyment skip playing as a solder and give another class a try.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @fresh2deafbill: Seeing how cheap both games are on amazon, I'd say play through them both.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Dany

yes get both, the first one is flawed but still a very great action rpg while the second is a shooter rpg

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Junkerman  Online
    @fresh2deafbill:   If you own an xbox 360, and have a few bucks lying around, you have to play the original first.

Its not nearly as fun gameplay wise, but ME 2 wont be nearly as epic an experience as everyone made it out to be in the media and on forums if you haven't played the first one.  What makes it so special is that you get to carry the same character through multiple games, a feat that really adds a whole new layer to the role-playing depth; as you will most likely grow extremely attached to your character through the potentially dozens of hours of story content.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By zombie2011
    @fresh2deafbill: Yes you need to play the first one, the story is amazing and you get to do so much stuff in it that is gone in ME2. The more i think about ME1 the more i love it, you have to play it it's a great intro to the Universe..
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @fresh2deafbill:  I was in your situation. Wanted to play 2, but wondering if you should play 1. I bought myself a used copy of 1 and spent the week playing it, and enjoyed it. In itself its a good game, maybe some rough edges, but good considering its 3 years old now. It really helped me understand whats going on in the universe. I think if you have never played 1, but went ahead and played 2 and encountered characters that were in 1, you'd be missing out on a big piece of the experience.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

It isn't necessary, but you'll miss out on a good game.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By blackbird415

im kinda forcing myself to do it. I got both of them in a steam sale. I really want to play the second one, but I feel like I gotta play the first one first. Sort of a personal thing. Not like the first one is a bad game or anything

MystDragon3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MystDragon3k

Unless you can import saves, you really should play the first one, since the default ME2 shepard is basicly renegade and a jerk and you can miss out on half the content, along with extra side quests and dialouge you can only get by importing from the first game.

I had a friend who just got into Mass Effect...I had him play the first one just so he could jump from that directly into ME2...he thanked me for it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM
    @fresh2deafbill:
    No you don't. I have Mass Effect one and two on both 360 and PC. I've beaten both on 360, but on PC something was wrong with ME1 for some odd reason that made me not want to go through it. So I played through the second without importing a save game, and all you'll miss is a few characters that you can meet in the first and some items you can choose through when you start the game. Overall, you're not missing too much. Really though? I do recommend getting and going through the first. It's just better that way.
    fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fresh2deafbill

alright guys, thanks for the input. I'm gonna play the first one before this one.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Faint

me2 is my game of the year and i never played the first. however, i did have a quick youtube search for the first section of the game's playthrough. i watched just far in enough for the basic story and characters to be established, which helped somewhat when characters occasionally recall things from the first game. this isn't absolutely necessary though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

Get the first one. A percentage of people prefer it to the second, and who knows you might be in that percentage. I know I definitely am. It's my favorite game of all time, give it a shot.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By emem

I am close to finishing ME2 a 2nd time and I haven't played ME1 yet, but I will get and play trough it as soon as possible. 

A lot of people said that there are characters in the 2nd game you don't meet if you haven't played the first so I'm pretty sure it will be the same with ME3. And meeting someone in the 3rd installment only because you've played the first game sounds awesome to me.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By Chris2KLee

I'd recommend getting it and playing through on easy just to get the story. The first game is pretty clunky compared to the second, but it's pretty cool to see the choices you make in one carry over.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunslingerPanda

The first one is a better game, so yes.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Zlimness

I would say it's absolutely necessary if you want to get the most out of ME2. The story picks up some years after ME1 and many of the important characters play some part in ME2. Bioware made some strange decisions to allow new players to experience ME2 though, but at the same time it relies heavily on knowing what happened in the first game. Not playing ME1 before playing ME2 is like watching Two Towers before Fellowship or Empire Strikes Back before Star Wars. You see some new characters and places and will be able to pick up the threads, but it's definitely a continuation of a story and expect you to know some things already.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Milkman

Recommended but not necessary. I'd imagine the first game must feel real dated now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.