Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

What Needs To Be Improved In Mass Effect 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

I came across this article earlier while looking for topics of discussion on the third game. Initially I thought it was written by a dick, but I read on and found some valid points.   There's no way I agree with his overall sentiment, I think he's completely wrong on some of his points.

http://www.infoaddict.com/the-many-failures-of-mass-effect-2
     http://www.infoaddict.com/the-many-failures-of-mass-effect-2 

How can the combat be improved?. Do you it's fair to say the nature of the environments make the combat predictable?. Is a lack of interaction with the environment and complex physics partly to blame?. No surprises? 

Has pandering to the current audience negatively effected this games design (- a question I direct at Bioware fans first and foremost), if so, what aspects of the game do this most?

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Lambert

I disagree with most of what you linked to said. Seems like they were stretching a lot of their arguments.

I would say that Bioware shouldn't listen to reviewers or the rabid fanboys. Nothing good comes out of it. Everyone complains about elevators and they remove it completely, replacing it with lackluster loading screens. People didn't want the Mako, so they gave us planet scanning.

It is still one of the best games ever made, and because of that, there will be a lot of scrutiny that comes with it -- most of it unfair.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Skald

All I want is a more subtle Paragon/Renegade system, since my time in Mass Effect 2's conversations felt like a giant speech-checking grind. 

And if they are going to have resource gathering, streamline it. And have only one resource, that can be traded for money and vice versa.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By CaptainObvious

I want a better story. Don't get me wrong, I love ME 2, but the story is just...ugh. I swear I saw/played it somewhere before.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By CoinMatze

I haven't read that article you linked to (I always take those fanboy rants way too personal) but you mention that problem with the environments making encounters predictable. I found some of it to be a huge bummer. Every time I saw a bunch of waist high crates I knew there was gonna be a fight, where the enemy would come from and what options for cover I have to counter their attack. These things could be fixed with a way to make your own cover, like the Soldier's turret in Borderlands. Maybe make some things in the environment destructable (like collapsing walls) to make cover or even use as weapons. I don't know if it would really be a gamechanger but in my head it sure looks damn cool. But the shooting isn't really the important part of the game, right? If they deliver more of that "make your own sci-fi story" thing and better then I would buy it even if the shooting part was nothing but a light gun shooter.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Pessh

Needs to be on PS3, then it'll be perfect.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

@Pessh said:

" Needs to be on PS3, then it'll be perfect. "

*Points and laughs*    *Hugs both of his consoles* 
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By spacetrucking
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pessh
    @Evilsbane: I've got two 360's, just prefer my PS3.
    Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Thunder

I think the combat is great but i think the cover system could use some tweaking. I think the game should be less linear too and go back to the more open world style of Mass Effect 1. I still think its an overall better game, but i would like some more exploration. The planet scanning should just be removed.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Pessh: DUDE CALM DOWN, Jeez No need to freak....oh...well cool, I like my PS3 to...
    Avatar image for chickendoughnut
    chickendoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chickendoughnut

Mass effect seriously needs better AI. The AI was just plain retarded. The whole game talks about the need for an elite team yet all I see is Garrus and Mordin stuck, humping a wall.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By eclipsesis

Will they end the series on the 360 or put and wait for a new Xbox do you think?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Pessh said:
    " @Evilsbane: I've got two 360's, just prefer my PS3. "
    Protip:  Claiming to own a console doesn't make you less of a fanboy.
    Even if you do, it's the single most over used fanboy defence these days.  Whether or not you actually do, It's very possible to own all systems and still be a fanboy.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pessh
    @Evilsbane: Ok, but so I know for future reference, please point out which part of the following sentance isn't calm

@WinterSnowblind: Right, but I wouldn't call my posts in this thread fanboyish. Would you like some pictures of my 360's?

Jesus, the idiots are out in full force today.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By rjayb89

The game would be perfect if it weren't ported to a PC rather than it being exclusive for the PC.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Pessh said:
    @WinterSnowblind: Right, but I wouldn't call my posts in this thread fanboyish. Would you like some pictures of my 360's?  Jesus, the idiots are out in full force today. "
    I would.
    Like I said, whether you own one or not is irrelevant.  The point was you're a fanboy.
    Avatar image for ryukendevereaux
    ryukendevereaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryukendevereaux
    @Evilsbane:
    hahaha nice,  aaaaaahhhhh the internal struggle continues, should I drop brilla for a good pc or get a 360?   damn you ME:1 and 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pessh
    @WinterSnowblind: because?

I realise a lot of fanboys say 'I have all the consoles' but Is anyone who says that know automatically a fanboy? Seriously, check my posts, all I said Is I'd like to be able to play it on my PS3, and only mentioned having my 2 360's in response to someone boasting about the consoles he owned. I suggest you read everything before you make comments like that. 

Besides, this is wildly off topic, might be a good idea if we all stopped derailing the thread.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Pessh said:
    " @Evilsbane: Ok, but so I know for future reference, please point out which part of the following sentance isn't calm

@WinterSnowblind: Right, but I wouldn't call my posts in this thread fanboyish. Would you like some pictures of my 360's?  Jesus, the idiots are out in full force today. "
    Dude i was making a joke... I guess I just need to realize that sarcasm is lost over the interwebs.,..
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pessh
    @Evilsbane: My bad then =)
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By grilledcheez

I didn't really like how the story basically accelerated way too fast after you assemble your team...I also hated the lack of "STUFF"...the game was simple enough as it was

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By Yummylee

Shepards dance.
    Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tortoise

The only things I'd really ask for is less percentage of the game length building a team and more percentage actually using it, and more interaction between the members of your team (it doesn't have to effect the storyline but it'd be cool if it did). I really enjoyed the tactical nature of the combat using squadmates, especially given the game is not primarily part of the action/shooting genre.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Garrus

Ai needs improving, basically I want Mass Effect 1 again, without ripping out every single chance for different weapons and armour, it took out the feeling of rewards for missions with how infrequently I found stuff.

Story needs to be written by the guy who did ME1 or somebody else who can make it like ME1's longer more action packed story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Get rid of those cheesy "mission summary" screens. Give us a proper debriefing instead.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Afroman269

Better team AI. They are useless on insane.

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By bulletstorm

1. I think this was already posted.

2. Better combat environments and better Team AI. The author is right in saying that combat is downright predictable. 

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By korwin

I'd like to see the return of weapon and armor mods personally.  Not quite the same as ME1 obviously where you just had 70 tonnes of junk force upon you making inventory management a pain, but more of a simple find/purchase model... possibly using a sort of "blue print" system so you only have to get the 1 mod instead of 1 for every weapon on every character.  Then you could just apply the stat boost to the weapon from like a drop down menu or something.  I just want something to make my gear feel a little more personal.

Also a means to gather cash other than quest rewards (running out of cash before you can purchase everything is lame).

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By korwin

Also, open up the area's a little.  A lot of the locations in ME2 felt cramped and restrictive.  Let me see more of Omega and Illium in a more wander around kind of way, not just instanced off sections for quests.  Give me back some more of the wards on the citadel and lets me wander around the presidium again.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Brendan

The combat is fine, the real challenge will be improving on the obtaining of resources (which isn't supposed to be easy or take no time at all) and still make it fun.  I think people are too hard on the planet scanning idea.  In practice it was really boring, but from Bioware's perspective, they did not want to make ti too quick to do, otherwise getting all the upgrades would be too easy, and they didn't want to do the mako thing again, because fans didn't like it.  I think the upgrades/resource gathering minigame portion will be the hardest job for Bioware this next game 

laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laalipop
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Shepards dance. "
    /thread
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Vinny_Says

When the NPC says stuff like : "This FTL drive is better than  a 345-ct cooling pin recombinator" and Shepard replies: "why is it better than a 345-ct cooling pin recombinator?" instead of just replying: "how so?" or something like that. It only happens a few times here and there and it's obvious how much I like this game because the only fault I see with it is something so stupid.
    It would probably be super hard for them to have even better dialogue but thankfully it will be the future when ME3 comes out.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Red

I just think it needs to have more weapons, shorter load times, and to just completely iron out all glitches. 

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By veektarius

Eye graphics.  Had all kinds of clipping/placement problems.  I might add more meaningful things later, but that was the one inexcusable graphical failure of ME2

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By animateria

The smiles... Oh, the nightmares I've gotten when a human character decided to smile.

I didn't see a smile, I saw an accursed empty vessel mimicking humanity.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By RHCPfan24

Lock, as requested by TC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.