Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Why was everyone whining about Insanity being unbalanced?

• 83 results
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

I've been doing an insanity playthrough in Mass Effect 2 and I have to say, it's been significantly easier than I thought it would be. So far it seems like you just have to rely on powers and squad commands a lot more, but other than that I don't see any issues. I'm a little under half way done the game though (I just finished Horizon) so does it get harder nearer to the endgame or something?

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Several of the classes are really unbalanced when it comes to Insanity, some make it more difficult that it should otherwise be. Also whenever the Collectors appear there is a difficulty spike.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, the only really difficult bits are when you fight the praetorians. Those things are unbalanced. Aside from them, it's not bad. I wouldn't call it easy, but not bad. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

If you are a biotic your God if not then you'll suck.

Edit:  Not suck but there is much more strategy needed.
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gerhabio

What do you have to do to get the Insane achievement? You just have to pass the last mission right? So as long as Shepard survives it's cool?

AlmostApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AlmostApollo
    @SethPhotopoulos: I don't know about that. I'm a Sentinel and I seem pretty godly. They have to take down my shield SO fast in order for me to not be able to just bring it to 100% again.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @G3RHRT said:
    " What do you have to do to get the Insane achievement? You just have to pass the last mission right? So as long as Shepard survives it's cool? "
    Complete the game yeah, the amount of survivors isn't a factor.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By manhattan_project
    @G3RHRT said:
    " What do you have to do to get the Insane achievement? You just have to pass the last mission right? So as long as Shepard survives it's cool? "
    Beat the game without changing the difficulty and have Shepard survive.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @G3RHRT said:
    Play the entire game in insanity without changing the difficulty.  At least up to the last mission.  So everything you do up to that point is to play it on insanity even the DLC. So if you play Shadow Broker and Arrival after playing the Suicide mission you'll be alright if you switch it to normal.  As far as I know.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @AlmostApollo said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos: I don't know about that. I'm a Sentinel and I seem pretty godly. They have to take down my shield SO fast in order for me to not be able to just bring it to 100% again. "
    I didn't play that class yet so I don't know.  
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Geno

I dunno either, a lot of people just seem to be bad at games. 

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dingofighter

There are a few really frustrating parts, but overall it wasn't the nightmare some people made it out to be.

Or maybe I was just anticipating that, and therefore didn't think it was that hard since I was prepared for it to be insane...
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Lemmycaution217
    @MaFoLu said:

" There are a few really frustrating parts, but overall it wasn't the nightmare some people made it out to be. Or maybe I was just anticipating that, and therefore didn't think it was that hard since I was prepared for it to be insane...
    "

Collector ship...

Actually I was able to beat it pretty easily after realizing a power I had could kill everything in basically one headshot.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Still not sure which class is the best though. The thing I've relied on the most is the Adrenaline Rush so I can line up 100% headshots. But many say having biotic abilities are superior.
    I really want to S-rank before ME3 is out but I felt a lot more frustrated with playing ME2 on higher difficulties than I did in ME1. (I'm that bloody simulation station away from S-rank in that game by the way, already completed Insanity)

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#15  Edited By Mystyr_E

I think it was more frustrating because of your squad AI. They have this weird habit of not staying the eff in cover and you end up wasting med kits just to revive them 

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rinkalicous

Mainly, I think people just complained about that bit with the floating platforms. I had no problem as a sentinel, but tried on my friend's Vanguard character and got continually wrecked, over and over again.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

It's not unbalanced as much as it highlights a lot of the flaws with ME2's shooting. The clunky movement, no ability to dodge or anything like that, no blind fire ability, and my freakin' party members who deign it their only strategy for success is to leap over cover when there's around 4-10 enemies in front of them.

It was a surprisingly enjoyably challenge, I'll admit to. Had a lot of fun playing through as my Sentinel, and it was a great change of pace for the game to literally force you make strategic use of the pause & play function.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sooty

Thought it was easy! Although the things that knock you out of cover into a clunky animation were annoying.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Did I fall into a time warp into early 2010? "Everyone" is one guy who said something online to you, dude, because most people finished this game years ago.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Other than the collector ship, Insanity was cake! And that was only difficult because I didn't have enough squad powers for barriers.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By gamefreak9

Not IMba in the sense that its too hard, its imba in the sense that the classes are not made equal... for instance my Vanguard sucked... i mean his main strong point was rushing in and doing quick kills, and now thats suicide, so he just becomes useless, might as well be a soldier.

AlmostApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlmostApollo
    @ryanwho: Now that the DLC is finally all out, a lot of people are going back to the game. Especially to play it  on Insanity. The time is right.
    Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By Dookysharpgun

Every other class except for the Soldier will be beaten into a bloody pulp in insanity, I've had many friends that have tried a Vanguard playtrough and had to restart the game. Classes aren't balanced at all. Revenant Machine gun should never top Biotic charge and a Krogan shotgun....also giving the enemies a shield/barrier, armour and then normal health, is BS when it comes to you and your squad having the cover of a weak shield that gets blown off by weapons more powerful than a Reapers laser....why can't I get their guns?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By tourgen
    @Dookysharpgun:  sorry to say then that your friends suck at playing Vanguard.  I finished it with vanguard on insanity and it was pretty easy.  Always charge.  Heavy inferno ammo, area reave.  It's an unstoppable build.  I can finish the collector ship faster with a vanguard than any other class.  Hell, I don't even bother with squad commands.  Just jump in and out of cover and charge as soon as it's recharged, maybe abuse the sniper rifle a bit, then back to charging-shotgun-melee destroying everything.  I'll throw party ice ammo on in case a party member actually is useful and hits something before dying.

To be fair I tried it on insanity first with a bad vanguard build that basiclly amounted to a gimpy solider.  I probably sucked as bad as everyone else who has tried that.  Once you get into the mindset of a charging melee crazy vanguard though you won't want to play this game any other way.  It works on every enemy class from the junk mobs up to dual-heavy bots.
    blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blueaniman93

Some of the classes are not very good for insanity runs and certain parts of the game are much harder than the others. Any encounter with the collectors is going to be the hardest part of the game.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FreakAche

I see that my thread was bumped back up today. I finished my insanity playthrough a few days ago. I was a sentinel, and found it reasonably easy, except for a few difficulty spikes, which were absolutely ridiculous. The hardest part though was definitely the Collecter ship. It just gets easier from then on out. Even subsequent collector encounters weren't that bad, because at that point most of my powers were maxed out, allowing me to take down those pesky Harbinger possessed Collectors pretty quickly.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By canucks23

It's ok for most parts, but there are just some parts that are fucking ridiculous BS. The collector ship.... ugh.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @tourgen:

TBH, hes better than me, and I've cleared both ME1 and ME2 on insanity, but the truth be told...and I'm really sorry if this offends you because its not my intention....theres no real way to build a vanguard is ME2 other than putting points into the few abilities they have. In truth, builds in this game are a pointless argument to dwell on, because the only issue I had was whether to throw my points into cryo or inferno ammo, or do the smart thing and put my points into warp ammo. Truth be told, you pretty much confirmed exactly what I said. You're team dies...a lot. ME is a squad based RPG shooter, and since the entire game is based around your team, why do they get hammered by everything that they come up against? Build doesn't matter. Pure and simple. Especially when you're placed against odds that not even your AI partners can go up against in a semi-fair fight. As was said by another poster, some of the difficulty curves in this game are ridiculous on insanity, and the collector ship was one of the hardest levels because of the severe lack of upgraded gear you need to get through it. Friendly AI is bugged to hell, builds can't be expanded upon properly to make that part of the game any more manageable, and in truth, it shows that Bioware can't build a game for shit if they can't give you a fighting chance against odds that aren't insane, they're impossible. You can make it through them with stubbornness but I'd prefer to have fun really....this is the issue people have with the game. There is pure imbalance between classes and difficulties, and it can get frustrating for people who genuinely love a class, being unable to play on the highest difficulty with said class, in a balanced way, to give them a slight chance at victory at some of the more difficult parts of the game.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By tourgen
    @Dookysharpgun: all right, it's clear you're pretty frustrated and not having a good time in insanity mode.  I agree that team AI is sloppy and insanity mode plays pretty "unfair".

I think the point I was trying to make is that for the vanguard class in particular, build really does matter.  You need full points in Charge as soon as possible and you need all the gear you can get that reduces the power cooldown timer.  Charge gives you 60% of your shields back instantly and a short slow-mo section in addition to decent damage.  It also puts you in melee & shotgun strafing range.  Without fully powered Charge the Vanguard class is gimped.

So what happened to me was that I tried it first on insanity mode with a bad Vanguard build.  I couldn't get past the first collector mission.  The game handed me my ass.  I went back and rebuilt my vanguard and the difference was amazing.  I pretty much walked thru the game without any issues.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By AuthenticM

Insane is only insane and unbalanced when playing on a New Game plus, with a maxed out character. When starting a new game it's very easy. The only hard part in the game is the collector ship in the middle of the game.

Subach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Subach
    @Rinkalicous said:
    Mainly, I think people just complained about that bit with the floating platforms. I had no problem as a sentinel, but tried on my friend's Vanguard character and got continually wrecked, over and over again.
    Mine too. Platforms are incredibly annoying as a Vanguard player because biotic charge is nerfed due to a bug. If you try to charge to an enemy who is on another, connected platform, it'll play the animation, but Shepard won't move at all. You have to walk onto the same platform your target is on to have it work properly.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Teran
    @gamefreak9 said:
    Not IMba in the sense that its too hard, its imba in the sense that the classes are not made equal... for instance my Vanguard sucked... i mean his main strong point was rushing in and doing quick kills, and now thats suicide, so he just becomes useless, might as well be a soldier.
    Balance isn't really achievable in that regard though unless there are no classes or customization.  The classes exist to give the player variety, not provide a perfectly balanced experience on the hardest difficulty.

I'd also point out that insanity requires players to adapt to a different play style no matter which class they play as.  Personally I enjoyed vanguard even though it couldn't be played the way it could on normal.  I found myself using charge offensively to flank enemies rather than score quick kills... or defensively for the free shield recharge.  Once you unlock assault rifle training (rather than picking up the claymore) the tactical potential of the class expands quite a bit as you now have a great medium to long range weapon for those moments in the game where you can't utilize charge or get very close to the enemy.
    TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TanoPrime

I've run insanity as an infiltrator and it was good times.  The only areas that brought me frustration were the collector zones.  After the collector's ship and gaining the sniper rifle there...mmm, it was hot sex from there.
    magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By magimix

@Teran said:

@gamefreak9 said:
    Balance isn't really achievable in that regard though unless there are no classes or customization. The classes exist to give the player variety, not provide a perfectly balanced experience on the hardest difficulty. I'd also point out that insanity requires players to adapt to a different play style no matter which class they play as. Personally I enjoyed vanguard even though it couldn't be played the way it could on normal. I found myself using charge offensively to flank enemies rather than score quick kills... or defensively for the free shield recharge. Once you unlock assault rifle training (rather than picking up the claymore) the tactical potential of the class expands quite a bit as you now have a great medium to long range weapon for those moments in the game where you can't utilize charge or get very close to the enemy.

Indeed. Having done every class at Insanity multiple times, I definitely feel every class is absolutely viable at Insanity. Hell, two of those were a weaponless Adpept, and a weaponless Engineer - talent-only Insanity runs, and both of them kicked arse. But yes, some classes are more straightforward than others at Insanity. But 'straightforward' isn't an inherent good in my view. For a straightforward Insanity run, you'd be hard-pushed to beat the Mattock-wielding Soldier with Heightened Adrenaline Rush and Stasis. Gets kind of old though. I always prefer really tactical, talent-focused playthroughs, where Shepard and shore-party fight as a well coordinated whole - Adept, Engineer, and Sentinel being my favourite classes.

I don't see that a game should be balanced so that every class is equally challenged - I don't know such a thing would even be possible, frankly. But a game *should* be balanced so that every class (and build therein - no gimped builds!) is viable, and ME2 definitely does that.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rudeboy217 said:

@MaFoLu said:

" There are a few really frustrating parts, but overall it wasn't the nightmare some people made it out to be. Or maybe I was just anticipating that, and therefore didn't think it was that hard since I was prepared for it to be insane...
    "

Collector ship...
    Actually I was able to beat it pretty easily after realizing a power I had could kill everything in basically one headshot.

Yeah. This.

I've since beaten Insanity with every class, but my first run was with a Vanguard. And the Collector Ship has a section or two buggy sections whose technical hiccups--while slight--were significant enough to make my Charge-Shotgun strategy somewhat worthless.

Once you go through it once with a Soldier or an Infiltrator, though--two classes seemingly hand tailored to deal with the rigors of Insanity--then you have a better idea of what sort of beast you find yourself pitted against. Obviously, the margin of error is exponentially more slim than, say, the default difficulty (as it rightly should be), but there are a lot of moments where the player is locked in situations they can't necessarily control, situations that more often than not lead to their death. And that's a bit frustrating.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AuthenticM

@FreakAche: Insanity is unbalanced when starting a new game plus with a high-level character. I've done it. It's INSANE. Enemies are the same level as you, but there is a bug in the game that wipes every stat upgrade you have bought in the previous playthrough. I succeeded in doing some of the early missions (Archangel, Warlord, Katsumi and the Mercenary). But when I got to Jack's, I couldn't even get past the first encounter. It's batshit crazy. That's why people were saying Insanity was unbalanced. It is so only when starting a game with a high-level character. When starting a brand new game, it's quite easy. The only true hard part is in the middle of the game, when fighting the Collectors in their ship.

EDIT: just noticed I had already replied to the thread a month ago. Ha.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dany

@AuthenticM: Yes. Starting a NEW playthough with a leveled up character makes the enemies the same level as you. It is best to start a new play though with a new character.

Also, I went vanguard which was not smart but at least I had fire/ice ammo and reave and miranda and thane around me.

pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pepperzz

As Infiltrator class I didn't have any problems with the Collectors at all. In fact, the final mission was super easy compared to a few other parts of the game (I had a terrible time with when you first recruit Garrus lol). But I only got stuck 2-3 times.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

I played a soldier and for me it wasn't that difficult that being said I would NEVER atempt to do it as a Engineer
    magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By magimix

@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:

I played a soldier and for me it wasn't that difficult that being said I would NEVER atempt to do it as a Engineer

You are missing out; Engineers own Insanity! Hell, weaponless insanity Engineer was one of the breeze-through-ist and arse-kicking playthroughs I've done.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ghostiet
    @DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
    An Engineer would do. Finishing with an Adept is a total bitch.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Cause popular opinion is that video games shouldn't be hard lately.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24
    @magimix said:

@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:

You are missing out; Engineers own Insanity! Hell, weaponless insanity Engineer was one of the breeze-through-ist and arse-kicking playthroughs I've done.

really I might give that a try I just assumed Insanity was more of a guns playthrough
    magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By magimix

@DEMONOLOGY_24: @DEMONOLOGY_24 said:

@magimix said:

@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:

really I might give that a try I just assumed Insanity was more of a guns playthrough

Some of my most enjoyable insanity runs have been talent-focused. Its mostly a matter of having a good understanding of how the various talents affect defended enemies, as well as defenceless ones, and how different talents and squad members synergise. Throw in a dash of smart cooldown management (which also ties into how you pick and use you shore-party), and a decent level of mobility in the field (for the most part, bunkering down will make a fight last as long as it can, as you fight the maximum number of possible enemies), and you'll be a force to be reckoned with.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Insanity was a breeze as a Sentinel.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TanoPrime

I make insanity my bitch no matter what class I use.  Like a boss.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By asurastrike

My issue with Insanity is that it just isn't fun. I've played Soldier in both ME1, and ME2, and on Insanity I basically spend all my time hiding behind something, micromanaging my team mates powers.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By N7

All you have to do is keep running forward. The checkpoints in this game are like every 20 meters, and the checkpoints kill every enemy left alive. So the Collector Ship was nothing but me running constantly, positioning my team to block all of the Husks from hitting me while I hacked the doors.

I should also note that I found that out on accident, as my party died and I was low on ammo so I said "Screw it!" and got the hell out of there, and by the time I stopped, they were all dead. I was like HELL YEAH. 40 minutes of fighting reduced to 10 seconds of running.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SuperCycle

My insanity run through was with Vangaurd class and it was a pain in the ass until I got the Sniper Rifle upgrade. As soon as I got that the rest of the game was a breeze. My main problem with insanity as a Vangaurd is that your special ability is pretty much useless.

vasari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vasari

I wouldn't say Insanity is challenging, just boring. In ME1 Insanity was just about holding the trigger down with the assault rifle until your enemy used up all their immunity powers and died. In fact the most challenging part was making sure your hand didn't go numb from all the controller vibration. In ME2 it's a little more engaging but with regenerating health it turns into a game of hiding behind cover for a very long time and occasionally shooting (Health regeneration in ME2 works on a curved scale: the more damage you take, the longer you have to wait for it to regenerate. If you get knocked down to a sliver of health, you'll literally have to wait 20 seconds for it to regenerate.). Instead of being frantic and fun, the combat on insanity just feels like going through the motions until it's over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.