Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

BioWare Montreal Building Next Mass Effect Game

• 188 results
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#101  Edited By tourgen

I like the noir detective idea, with some modernized adventure and RPG stuff and very little to no headshot BS.

Also, Fact: Mass Effect 1 was the best game of the series. You may think otherwise and that's fine, but you are wrong.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By crcruz3

@Dan_CiTi said:

@crcruz3: Don't hate cause I wanna put some Krogans on Overwatch.

Oh boy was like: Oh, boy!!!!! Game boner!!!!!!!!!!

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By viking_funeral

So who's running BioWare now that the doctors are gone?

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By delta_ass

Mass Effect crossed with Splinter Cell? That could be awesome.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@crcruz3 said:

@Tylea002 said:

It won't be, but it should be a completely different genre. That universe is so full of amazing possibilities (even if my enthusiasm for it has wayned) that it would be criminal to stick to the same gameplay. How about a turn based strategy game, civ style, where you play the Mass Effect universe. Choose your race, and shape how it develops from the end of the Prothean cycle. Maybe humans reach their relay before the Asari? Who knows?

Or even a Character Action Game as a justicar, or a space combat game with Joker, or a detective story set on the citadel, or bloody anything!

Turn-based tactics like XCOM! Man, I would play that game!!!

I would totally play that game. Best part: You get to choose what race you want to play as. BOOM!

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I'm up for more Mass Effect with an all new story and cast of characters. This game will most likely arrive on next gen with with the next gen Frostbite engine.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By dagas

I hope it will be good. After ME1 and 2 I would never have doubted it but now I don't know. ME3 was a good game and I enjoyed it while it lasted but I didn't play through it 6 times like ME2. I'm still hoping they can make me as enthusiastic about Dragon Age and Mass Effect as I was a couple of years ago.

Avatar image for notvaleriuscato
    NotValeriusCato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By NotValeriusCato

But where do you go with it? Am I alone in thinking that, because of whatever the heck happened in that ME3 ending, it'll have to be set prior to that? Unless we're talking Citadel Noir like Tourgen said, I can't see how that could be anything but incredibly anticlimactic.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By endaround

Bioware Montreal is best known for making ME DLC that everyone hated. They aren't a B team, they basically have been a C team doing Ubisoft fill in work for other games. They only exist to get tax money. This will likely not end well.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm interested. ME 3 may have disappointed me greatly but I never had that much of a problem playing it, my main issue was just what happened with the story.

Avatar image for shadypinessteve
    ShadyPinesSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ShadyPinesSteve

@SpaceButler14 said:

But where do you go with it? Am I alone in thinking that, because of whatever the heck happened in that ME3 ending, it'll have to be set prior to that? Unless we're talking Citadel Noir like Tourgen said, I can't see how that could be anything but incredibly anticlimactic.

My thoughts exactly. It's shocking how quickly Mass Effect has fallen from perhaps my favorite franchise in gaming to a franchise that has to earn my trust and admiration back. Weirdly my thoughts on the ME3 ending have gotten more negative over time which has in turn colored my view of the whole ME series. I feel almost betrayed by the way Hudson, et al. wrapped up this first trilogy and have a hard time seeing how I could ever feel as good about the series as I did leading into the release of ME3.

Neozurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Neozurg

With EA in control of Bioware now, I'll take a wait and see attitude on how ME4 will pan out.

COLLUSION!

ahynds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ahynds

Patrick makes a guess that the next game might leave out the whole series' emphasis on story-based RPG mechanics, but that ignores the fact that the BioWare Montreal studio had a big hand in the creation of the DLC expansions for ME2, none of which threw out the core story concepts of the trilogy. I think, with the right blend of a story-driven approach and the nice 3rd-person action mechanics that the Montreal studio have created in the ME3 multiplayer, they could have something good coming our way.

stallion74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By stallion74

well pretty much the only thing they said is : "Look we are making another game in the series with better graphics". Well i guess they thought that the game did not look so good that's why it had such a negative response.I am still trying to understand why they keep failing to get the message.Bioware go back to making good games that at least this time will have a proper ending not something along the lines of DA2!!!

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By algertman

ENTITLEMENT!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#117  Edited By Raven10

@msavo: Medal of Honor on PC looks pretty great. The only other game released so far running on Frostbite 2 is Need For Speed The Run which didn't look that great but didn't look bad either. What other games are you talking about?

blastershift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By blastershift

They can do whatever they want to the series, I have little faith in what remains of Bioware.

With such big named writers, the doctors, and other talent gone.

It will be a wait and buy game if that.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By impartialgecko

@tourgen said:

I like the noir detective idea, with some modernized adventure and RPG stuff and very little to no headshot BS. Also, Fact: Mass Effect 1 was the best game of the series. You may think otherwise and that's fine, but you are wrong.

Sorry but I like the actual playing of my videogames not to be a tedious pain.

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
    zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear they're using a different engine. Maybe it won't be a technical mess this time.  

@tourgen: Storywise yes, but gameplay wise absolutely not.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Please turn it into a first-person shooter.

KovicMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By KovicMAN

NO SURPRISE HERE....

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By Tesla

People liked ME3 multiplayer?

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#124  Edited By jtmosh

Mass Effect 1 is great. Mass Effect 2 is great. Mass Effect 3 is great. I'm very interested in where they take the franchise from here.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#125  Edited By TadThuggish

Don't care anymore.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#126  Edited By dezvous

@zombiesatemycereal: Hopefully.

I played the entire series on the PC and it was a huge disappointment. The first Mass Effect played brilliantly on the PC and poorly on the 360. Subsequently, ME2 and 3 played great on the 360 and much worse on the PC.

I would love to see these control issues fixed up and also to see the incredible world of ME rendered in Frostbite 2.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By crcruz3

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

@crcruz3 said:

@Tylea002 said:

It won't be, but it should be a completely different genre. That universe is so full of amazing possibilities (even if my enthusiasm for it has wayned) that it would be criminal to stick to the same gameplay. How about a turn based strategy game, civ style, where you play the Mass Effect universe. Choose your race, and shape how it develops from the end of the Prothean cycle. Maybe humans reach their relay before the Asari? Who knows?

Or even a Character Action Game as a justicar, or a space combat game with Joker, or a detective story set on the citadel, or bloody anything!

Turn-based tactics like XCOM! Man, I would play that game!!!

I would totally play that game. Best part: You get to choose what race you want to play as. BOOM!

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#128  Edited By Blackout62

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

MOAR LENS FLARE

Hey! Lens flare and film grain were an integral part of the original Mass Effect's 70s sci-fi experience.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#129  Edited By Hunter5024

Hmm so what's Edmonton doing? New property maybe?

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By mrpandaman

@Tesla said:

People liked ME3 multiplayer?

It really wasn't bad. The only real negative stuff I heard and I thought about it was its micro transaction system.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#131  Edited By retrovirus

All I want is Citadel space cops.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#132  Edited By Rodin

So you play as the lens flare, and you have to try and make every cutscene as cinematic as possible, you also will unlock the ability to strategically deploy film grain, but are you a paragon lense flare, or a renegade lense flare? The choice is yours!

I would love for them to try something different, but my question is, if they make a mass effect 4 ie. set after 3 how are they gonna handle the fiction, what ending is 'canon' or will there be some attempt to look at ME 3 saves? Or just set it hundreds of years in the future. I don't know what they can really do with anything set after 3 without it felling like a cop-out to their idea of player choice.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By theanticitizen
    @zombie2011 not on consoles. FB2 doesn't hold a candle to UE3 or even engines like what 343 is using. It looks super muddy on consoles. But it'll look great on PC. So...yay, I guess
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By NTM

@rebgav said:

@NTM said:

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

Why is EA pushing Frostbite 2 so hard?

Because they own it and it produces gorgeous looking games.

Yeah, and I might know the answer, but in case I don't, why aren't they pushing the CryEngine on other games as well?

EA doesn't own Crytek.

Hm. I thought EA and Bioware was the same as EA and Crytek. EA just publishes their games than? And what about Visceral?

lazerbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By lazerbot

This is the most exciting gaming news since they announced GTA 5 as far as I'm concerned. I just hope that the new team is able to make as good a trilogy, or single game, or whatever, as the original series was. I don't always pre-order games, but when I do, its got Mass Effect in the title.

Avatar image for notvaleriuscato
    NotValeriusCato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By NotValeriusCato

@MSUSteve: Yeah, the ending was really disappointing, but more than that, what is there to do in that universe now? They basically just ended it all. You've got everyone integrated together, which might not even allow for individual characters, you've got god-shepherd, or you've got a destroyed galaxy, which I guess is the only one that could have some kind of a story. But then again they blew up the mass relays anyway.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#138  Edited By chilipeppersman

@Beefy_Face: because they are lazy and think it looks purty.

warmonked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By warmonked

I'm going to guess it involves: a series of linear missions punctuated by travel scenes where you talk to members of your party, interrogating them about their past. Inevitably they'll reveal intimate details of their lives even though they barely know you. You'll pick up new members along the way, and maybe romance one or two of them. All conversation options will be either a nice guy response, a total dick response or a completely non-committal response.

darkness625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By darkness625

dont give a crap. I bet it's just 3rd person shooter lacking the elements of what the franchise is suppose to have, RPG.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Scotto

I love DICE's games, but fuck me, does everything EA makes have to run on Frostbite these days?

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Scotto

@rebgav said:

@NTM said:

@rebgav said:

@NTM said:

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

Why is EA pushing Frostbite 2 so hard?

Because they own it and it produces gorgeous looking games.

Yeah, and I might know the answer, but in case I don't, why aren't they pushing the CryEngine on other games as well?

EA doesn't own Crytek.

Hm. I thought EA and Bioware was the same as EA and Crytek. EA just publishes their games than? And what about Visceral?

Yes, EA just publishes some Crytek games.

Visceral are part of the EA Games group, which includes Criterion, DICE, and EA's other wholly owned development studios making "core" games. I'm not sure where BioWare fits into the structure, given that they're rolling back the BioWare branding from some of those studios.

EA owns Bioware. They started seeding the "Bioware" brand into other studios, I presume, because of the name recognition Bioware had at the time, and because they were closely associated with high quality games. These changes were made around the time of ME2 - arguably Bioware's apex as a developer.

Of course, Dragon Age 2, SWTOR, and Mass Effect 3 (although I disagree with this one) have since punctured that once-bulletproof veneer, and a lot of gamers have turned on them.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By NegativeCero

So I'm assuming they'll be making this for next gen? I still haven't played ME3 and experienced that infamous ending, so I'm in no rush.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By geirr

I'm all for a different Mass Effect. Say if Bioware played to their old strengths instead of the new shit and let you pick your own race and have some amazing story branches grow from that; like in Dragon Age and some of their older games. Also I'm all for a new engine; Frostbite 2 looks pretty good on consoles and PC so yeah, sure. Maybe make the story less pompous too -- the entire galaxy always being at risk is not needed, maybe make it more personal like say -- who killed your parents, or where in Space is Roger Rabbit, or your dreams of joining the circus never happened and now there's a space circus in town. So much good can be had without the fucking EVERYTHING being at risk ALWAYS.

Garrus: College Years might just be the best game ever that never was.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By aceofspudz

I'd play Mass Effect: Tactics

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#146  Edited By Levio

The possibilities are endless! MassEffect Wrestling, MassEffect Minecraft, MassEffect The MMO...

Hopefully not a MassEffect minigame collection though.

honkyjesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#147  Edited By honkyjesus

Now with less Chobot.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By umdesch4

What it would take to make me interested in more Mass Effect:

Hanar backstory, and you get to play as a Hanar.

If someone could pull that off, I'd be highly motivated. Otherwise, I'll just watch a playthrough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By 137

@mbr2 said:

I thought they ended the story? Oh wait this is the video game industry, where money speaks louder than artistic integrity.

Shepards story is over. Mass Effect universe I think is big enough to have a different protagonist this time around. Chris Roberts successfully had a spin off series from the wing commander franchise, quite a few actually ARMADA and Privateer and were even completely different campaigned games. Don't see why they can't milk that ip.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.