Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

Playing through ME1 post ME2 on PC....

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Thought I'd go back to the original now I have a decent rig (played it on Xbox back in the day) and to prepare for my second run through of the sequel on PC - the default story that Bioware chooses if you don't import your character is the polar opposite to what I did in the first game so this way I'll actually have a save to import and will get to experience a (hopefully) vastly different game.  

However, on booting up the game I was shocked to see that graphically, it hasn't aged particularly well. I remember being blown away when I first played this, pop-in textures and all, but now, especially after playing through the sequel, I've finally come to realise just how much it's improved. When I first started playing ME2, I wasn't overly impressed visually, something I assumed to be because the first game was so ahead of its time, but now I see just how far its come.  Or at least, that's what I hope is the case.

I'm playing at full 1080 and assume that I'm just looking at textures clearly designed for display at 720p on consoles as opposed to having a severe graphics glitch (what I first thought when I started playing) and just wanted to know if anyone else had gone back and had this shock. It's mainly the textures that look downright fuzzy and jagged  - I've googled it and seen people complaining about having low res textures show up despite having the game set to high so was wondering if I just saw the game through rose tinted spectacles before or if I have a problem...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Brendan

I did the exact same thing you did, and you're totally right.  ME1 looks janky as all get out.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor
    @Brendan said:

" I did the exact same thing you did, and you're totally right.  ME1 looks janky as all get out. "

Have you got the steam version? Just found out that the low res issue is actually a major problem:  http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/texture-fix-for-steam-version-/1006791 

Gonna see if that fixes it for me - some of the textures look REAL bad,as in worse than PS2 bad so I'm thinking this might hopefully solve the issue... 

EDIT: Issue totally solved! The game still looks a little janky but man, it looks nowhere near as bad as it did previously. Had to change my config file (apparently it was setting the lod too low and so I was getting low res textures up close despite setting everything to ultra high).
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Brendan

I've actually got the disk version, but the pop-in is pretty brutal, to the point of making the important cut-scenes less so because of the distraction.  ME2 certainly cleaned up it's act on that one.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @Brendan said:
    " I've actually got the disk version, but the pop-in is pretty brutal, to the point of making the important cut-scenes less so because of the distraction.  ME2 certainly cleaned up it's act on that one. "
    I'm guessing that's the Xbox version? Coes I haven't noticed any issues with pop in - I just had super low res textures on everything apart from Shephard's face... If it's pc though, you might want to try out that fix and see if it changes anything. It made a world of difference for me.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brendan

For sure, thanks for the link man, the pop in is seconds long and it's on the pc.  I shall check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.